hellohi
hi guys

just a very silly question.

does a chord D7 equal to Dmajor7?

thz^^
Ben Howell
Hello...hellohi!

D7= D dominant 7, NOT Dmajor7.

Dmajor7 is spelt 1 3 5 7 (notes from the respective major scale) and the chord symbol looks like this: Dmaj7

D7 is spelt 1 3 5 b7 and the chord symbol is: D7

Not a silly question at all, sometimes chord symbols can be confusing.

-Ben
radarlove1984
You'll want to verify this with Andrew Cockburn, the theory teacher, but as far as I know, they're different chords.

A D7 is a dominant 7th, made by the root, 3rd, 5th, and flat 7th.

A Dmaj7th is made by the root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th.

They're two completely different chords. Major 7th chords have sort of a "pretty" sound to them. Think of the mid 60's.

I can't really describe the sound of a Dominant 7th, but you'll know it when you hear it. They're both two distinct chords.

Edit -- whoops. You beat me to it!
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Jul 9 2007, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'll want to verify this with Andrew Cockburn, the theory teacher, but as far as I know, they're different chords.

Thanks for the plug radarlove - but I am superfluous on this thread, so I won't even bother posting this response smile.gif
Kaneda
I'll add a bit, even if Andrew doesn't biggrin.gif Just to explain why it's so confusingly named.

The confusion probably stems from the rather arbitrary naming of chords... The "maj" in the chord name refers to the 7(th), not the D.

- D7 = D dominant 7th - D major triad + minor 7th - in text books, you'll also find it called (less confusingly) "D major/minor 7th".

- Dm7 = D minor 7th - D minor triad + minor 7th - it's really a shortening of "D minor/minor 7th"

- Dmaj7 = D major 7th - D major triad + major 7th - really a shortening of "D major/major 7th"

... and... this may help understanding, or confuse more... there's also a:

- Dmmaj7 = D minor/major 7th - D minor triad + major 7th - this is the only one that really has no shorter, more confusing, name. smile.gif
Anastasio123
[quote name='benhowell' post='41789' date='Jul 9 2007, 01:13 PM']
Hello...hellohi!

D7= D dominant 7, NOT Dmajor7.

Dmajor7 is spelt 1 3 5 7 (notes from the respective major scale) and the chord symbol looks like this: Dmaj7

D7 is spelt 1 3 5 b7 and the chord symbol is: D7

Not a silly question at all, sometimes chord symbols can be confusing.

-Ben
[/quote]

Yea thats wat always confused me, the difference between dominant seventh chords and major seventh chords. But now i know that dominanbt means a natural third with a flatted seventh and a major seventh chord is a natural third and seventh, but the seventh interval is emphasized. Or am I wrong?

Pretty sure thats right though...

- Dmmaj7 = D minor/major 7th - D minor triad + major 7th - this is the only one that really has no shorter, more confusing, name. smile.gif
[/quote]

That one I really dont understand... sad.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Anastasio123 @ Jul 9 2007, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea thats wat always confused me, the difference between dominant seventh chords and major seventh chords. But now i know that dominanbt means a natural third with a flatted seventh and a major seventh chord is a natural third and seventh, but the seventh interval is emphasized. Or am I wrong?

Pretty sure thats right though...
That one I really dont understand... sad.gif

SOunds right - but what do you mean when you say the seventh is emphasized? Its there alright, but works alingside the pther 3 notes in the chord ...

Regarding the Minor Major 7th - what don;t you understand? Its a horrible chord IMO but you cam think of it as a Major 7th chord wit a flattened (or minor) 3rd ...
Anastasio123
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 9 2007, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SOunds right - but what do you mean when you say the seventh is emphasized? Its there alright, but works alingside the pther 3 notes in the chord ...

Regarding the Minor Major 7th - what don;t you understand? Its a horrible chord IMO but you cam think of it as a Major 7th chord wit a flattened (or minor) 3rd ...

When I said the seventh is emphasized, I meant that it is one of the defining notes in the chord and is thus included. A maj7 chord has the same intervals as a maj chord but they make sure to play the seventh to Emphasize that its a seventh type of chord...

The only thing I dont get with your explanation is that your basically calling a Minor Major Seventh chord a Dominant chord. Am I right? Why can't we just call it a dominant chord and get on with our lives?

I'm sorry that I'm a theory newb but its little things like this that keep me confused and stuck sad.gif
Kaneda
QUOTE (Anastasio123 @ Jul 10 2007, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I said the seventh is emphasized, I meant that it is one of the defining notes in the chord and is thus included. A maj7 chord has the same intervals as a maj chord but they make sure to play the seventh to Emphasize that its a seventh type of chord...

The only thing I dont get with your explanation is that your basically calling a Minor Major Seventh chord a Dominant chord. Am I right? Why can't we just call it a dominant chord and get on with our lives?

I'm sorry that I'm a theory newb but its little things like this that keep me confused and stuck sad.gif

No, the minor/major seventh (like "Dmmaj7") has no other name, really. It's not the dominant seventh - that's major/minor (note they're opposite).

D7 = major/minor - "natural third, flattened seventh"
DmMaj7 = minor/major - "flattened third, natural seventh"
hellohi
Hi guys =)

thz a lot for answering my question^^

i hv always tot that they were the same >.<

finally i know they are different now^^

again thz a lot!!! and take care =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.