Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worst Guitar Tricks To Pull At A Gig
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Josh Adams
Guido's 'The Worst Mistakes You Can Do In A Solo' got me thinking about what make a bad guitarist in general. One thing that can make or break the deal (for me) is Guitar tricks live. It's not hugely common that people crack out musical acrobatics on stage but still.

I went to a small gig the other day whilst I was in another UK city visiting a friend, I didn’t necessarily fancy a trip out – as much as I like a good concert, even in really small venues -- I just fancied curling up to with some Doritos and some cuddles. Yay for friends!

But I went and unfortunately came away wishing I hadn’t. It wasn’t as if the music was particularly ear destroying – the band were pretty kick ass in all fairness – it was just the egotistical ass of a front man who just wouldn’t stop flinging his guitar (and body) around the place.

My friend disagreed and came back thinking he’d witnessed the second coming of Christ and that this front man was ab-sol-utely certain to be signed in mere seconds. Nevertheless, he wasn’t, at least not when I was there. He then went on to say “I hate it when all guitar players do is just stand there, it’s so boring.”

Needless to say this blew my mind. I couldn’t disagree more. I’m not saying I want motionless robots playing music to me for an hour or so, but there’s a fair distance between “standing still” and throwing yourself round like you own the joint. And clumsily too. This was not stage acrobatics by any means.

Some of my favourite guitar players are those that just “stand there” and (cliché alert, cliché alert) let the music do the talking – sorry I couldn’t help it! For me there’s something really captivating about seeing a man/woman work the strings in such a simple way and still have an audience hooked. I understand live music is special (in part) because of the spectacle and showmanship, but what this guy was doing was just animal, and annoying.

Obviously taste differs between genres: Heavy Metalers will be more inclined towards a big show whereas Shoegazers (for example) would think you’re a pompous idiot (maybe).

Basically, got me thinking. What are the worst guitar tricks to pull at a gig do you think? Might be a contentious topic because - like I said - I know each guitar player/fan has their own special sacred list of things that they think make a great guitar player. Everyone’s going to disagree but it’ll be interesting. Here are some of mine.

Duck walk/Chuck Berry thing

The dude at the show was doing this absolutely non-stop. Half the time I wasn’t sure whether I was at a small-time rock gig or at an army base on “Dress Like a Metalhead Day”. It literally looked like he was marching to and from either side of the stage in front of the commanding officer of rock n’ roll. My friend reliably informed me after the show that Chuck Berry invented this – I now as of that day don’t like Chuck Berry. Sorry Chuck, your reputation has been tainted, that’s probably so judgemental of me!

Spinning around on the floor OR “The Angus Young”

This one is something I have only seen in person once but even that was enough to convince me I shouldn’t have to endure it again. In all fairness, the guy doing it had decided that getting completely trolleyed would be a preferable state to do an hour and a half show in. Fair enough, but think about the fact that if you’re going to be throwing yourself on the floor please ensure you have a wireless guitar. The poor bloke pulled his amp over and smashed the thing to pieces in front of a crowd of about 30 people. The embarrassment he so obviously suffered is something I wouldn’t put my worst enemy through. Most people left not long after, thank god it was basically the end anyway.

Guitar solos over 2 minutes

Once again, completely my own taste and I’m not picking a fight with anyone who feels otherwise. But stop using your guitar as an extension of your own over inflated ego. Whenever I see this I’m transported back to when I was 11 and watching School of Rock with Jack Black and thinking 10 minute guitar solos were God’s gift to mankind! I was wrong, so so wrong. I’m not even sure if this can counted as a trick (finger stamina anyone?) but it’s show-offy and I don’t like it. Moan over haha.

Power Slide

This one is a particular favourite of Tenacious D and Jack Black fans for some reason (my dislike for Jack Black is not hiding well here). Known more widely as “sliding across the floor on your knees” this is something I’m actually quite proficient at myself, as I used to do it at school discos as a child. That doesn’t mean that it looks good in guitar shows though. Like anything, it can be good in fair measurements, but the guy at the show I complained about would use this as some kind of audience pick me up whenever the show’s momentum seemed to dip. What he meant to achieve by throwing himself across the floor – and how he thought he’d take the show to the next level by doing it I’ll never know. I do think performers should be responsive, him doing this constantly proved he was anything but!

Smashing your kit

I’m not sure if this is really a guitar trick (again!) but I saw a compilation of this trick on television recently and it left me completely baffled. I can understand the seasoned moneyed pros taking their kit to town once in a blue moon but rookies and part-timers? Is that not a lot of money? I’ve always wanted to see this in full stadium glory at the end of a show for some reason, but even though it’s not technically a trick I still think it takes some level of *skill* -- if that is the right word? For example, on one occasion in this compilation the frontman went to smash up guitar for it only to break halfway down the neck and the body fall to the floor. Not that dramatic. If you’re going to be making a spectacle of your guitar’s destruction at least make it long and gruesome for us all to freak out at!

My view (largely) is that I feel all too often guitar tricks are used by people who have a very cartoon view of what rock music is. Acoustic people out there are largely spared from experiencing a lot of these dramatic disasters. But if you’ve any stories of – I don’t know – players trying to use their guitar like a chello or something, it’d be funny to hear!
Hexabuzz
I remember many, MANY years ago seeing Yngwie Malmsteen live (with Billy Sheehan and Talas opening!) and could NEVER understand why he would do the "swing the guitar on the strap 360 degrees around the neck" trick...

Seriously?
jstcrsn
QUOTE (Hexabuzz @ Mar 22 2014, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember many, MANY years ago seeing Yngwie Malmsteen live (with Billy Sheehan and Talas opening!) and could NEVER understand why he would do the "swing the guitar on the strap 360 degrees around the neck" trick...

Seriously?

the money shot is at 1:16
Hexabuzz
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Mar 22 2014, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES!!!!

Love it! Thank you for that!
Cosmin Lupu
Hehe! Very nice collection here smile.gif

For me, a good show is a good show whenever what you play is expressed in your music, in sounds and also visually. There is of course a threshold that some folks, in their wish to 'give the folks a show' often go over. For instance, when I was performing with one of my previous bands, I used to be a stage monkey because that's how the music went - a combo of metal and dancehall/reggae grooves. People loved it and the energy got to them. That was the music smile.gif When I perform with my band now, I tend to jump around when the case asks for it, but the music is much more lyrical and contemplative most of the time, so I am not so out of the leash with it. Balance is of the essence and also following the musical message smile.gif
Josh Adams
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 23 2014, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehe! Very nice collection here smile.gif

For me, a good show is a good show whenever what you play is expressed in your music, in sounds and also visually. There is of course a threshold that some folks, in their wish to 'give the folks a show' often go over. For instance, when I was performing with one of my previous bands, I used to be a stage monkey because that's how the music went - a combo of metal and dancehall/reggae grooves. People loved it and the energy got to them. That was the music smile.gif When I perform with my band now, I tend to jump around when the case asks for it, but the music is much more lyrical and contemplative most of the time, so I am not so out of the leash with it. Balance is of the essence and also following the musical message smile.gif

Aha! Now Metal with dancehall/reggae grooves is something to move around to! I wouldn't blame anyone for throwing themselves around to that! Things like Ska and 2-Tone as well, that sort of sound is something that demands to be shaken at.

I agree though, follow the musical message and you can't go wrong.
Cosmin Lupu
Glad we agree mate wink.gif That's the way in which everyone should regard stage showmanship and a performance in general. I use to scour the venue before the show so I can see where I can run to, jump from and how long my cables should be smile.gif
Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Mar 22 2014, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahahahaha laugh.gif
Guido Bungenstock
Cool topic, Josh. Nice that I could inspire a bit here. :-)

One of the worst thing is when a guitar player(could be another musician as well) just doesn't show any small nice reaction when the audience is clapping after his great(?) solo. This happen sometimes too if a musician is introduced by someone on stage. I mean just standing still there, turning around or beeing apathetic is totally ignorant to the people.
I hate that! :-D
Darius Wave
For me it's a matter of atmosphere on the gig. When I don't feel a good connection with the audience it's hard to bring any motion...now when there comes some chemistry it make me move naturally and it's not a matter of jerking off....just something that's happens because of the audience smile.gif

But of course...I never enjoy when player makes much more "stage behavior" then he pays attention to his playing...
Ulrik

I know I posted this before, but it's still good
Opossum
Why is it so acceptable for jazz and classical musicians to play such long creatively expressive solos - but not hard rock musicians? And the whole long solos are an ego thing. Seriously? Some of the best musicians in the world are hard rock players. Masters of classical and jazz and yet they choose to express themselves in the rock medium. Are they supposed to just "make it quick" because... oh yeah I forgot, the educated music world is right, hard rock is of a lesser quality - not worthy of such long winding passages.
Or maybe - because radio set the parameters early on. Songs should be over in four minutes or less. People of another generation expected and accepted this. They grew up on Judy Garland and Bing Crosby. Look how much has changed.
First of all, traditional radio is done. So why are we still following these rules? Club music solos go on forever. Bluegrass solos can be quite lengthy. Irish, Gypsy, Tango, even Jam Rock; But not Hard Rock? Is it because the audience doesn't have the attention span to stick with a long solo? Well that's sad.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Opossum @ Mar 23 2014, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is it so acceptable for jazz and classical musicians to play such long creatively expressive solos - but not hard rock musicians? And the whole long solos are an ego thing. Seriously? Some of the best musicians in the world are hard rock players. Masters of classical and jazz and yet they choose to express themselves in the rock medium. Are they supposed to just "make it quick" because... oh yeah I forgot, the educated music world is right, hard rock is of a lesser quality - not worthy of such long winding passages.
Or maybe - because radio set the parameters early on. Songs should be over in four minutes or less. People of another generation expected and accepted this. They grew up on Judy Garland and Bing Crosby. Look how much has changed.
First of all, traditional radio is done. So why are we still following these rules? Club music solos go on forever. Bluegrass solos can be quite lengthy. Irish, Gypsy, Tango, even Jam Rock; But not Hard Rock? Is it because the audience doesn't have the attention span to stick with a long solo? Well that's sad.

Frankly speaking, when I say that a solo is too long, I am referring to any genre. A solo can be a story within a story, but if you don't have a story to tell and if you only play around with scales and arpeggios, things can get boring regardless of the genre.

When I was a kid I was skipping everything to the solo now I skip the solo almost all the time, because in 90% of the cases it's either a display of skills or it doesn't say anything ...Each to his own, I guess wink.gif
Josh Adams
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 23 2014, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad we agree mate wink.gif That's the way in which everyone should regard stage showmanship and a performance in general. I use to scour the venue before the show so I can see where I can run to, jump from and how long my cables should be smile.gif

Thanks! Thank god your one that looks at what you're doing, I won't condone any behaviour that doesnt resemble the safe precautions you took sir wink.gif

QUOTE (Guido Bungenstock @ Mar 23 2014, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool topic, Josh. Nice that I could inspire a bit here. :-)

One of the worst thing is when a guitar player(could be another musician as well) just doesn't show any small nice reaction when the audience is clapping after his great(?) solo. This happen sometimes too if a musician is introduced by someone on stage. I mean just standing still there, turning around or beeing apathetic is totally ignorant to the people.
I hate that! :-D

Oh totally agree, but there's a fine line isn't there? I guess it all comes down to taste. Maybe I'm being judgmental in viewing every charismatic guitar player (+ everyone who acknowledges the crowd) as an egotist -- probably. But yeah, there's a slim chance that maybe I'm not a t**t and there is actually a secret universal rule to guitar playing. Maybe.. but probably not haha!

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 23 2014, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me it's a matter of atmosphere on the gig. When I don't feel a good connection with the audience it's hard to bring any motion...now when there comes some chemistry it make me move naturally and it's not a matter of jerking off....just something that's happens because of the audience smile.gif

But of course...I never enjoy when player makes much more "stage behavior" then he pays attention to his playing...

Yes! And I think the best performers are the ones who harness that sense and channel it into their playing. Couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (Opossum @ Mar 23 2014, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay you've kind of changed my mind on that one. True, I wouldn't think twice about a jazz solo. But then - like what's been said - I'm not (in general) a fan of big solos. Regardless of genre. Perhaps my criticism of guitar solos comes because I listen to guitars waaaay more than I do sax or brass etc.

Hmmm.
Hexabuzz
QUOTE (Opossum @ Mar 23 2014, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess, to me, it's about whether a solo is saying something about the song and the music, and not just a way of being self indulgent or showing off - regardless of genre...

I guess I'd rather have 4 notes and 10 seconds of true feeling and melody than 4 million notes and 10 minutes of aimless wandering as your audience wanders away and/or falls asleep...

Yes, music is about feel, and exploration, and improvisation, but when it's also about a performance, as opposed to reaching inside yourself and getting lost in the notes, then there should be a compromise between what YOU want to do, and what your audience DESERVES to hear...

There's room for both, but if I'm paying, show me your best and most inspired moment, and save the next 15 minutes for your bedroom...

Just my ¢0.02
Headbanger
The worst trick must be smashing your own gear or setting it on fire...I mean...that would be sad!!! laugh.gif
Todd Simpson
Laughed my head off smile.gif He tried it without strap locks. Nice smile.gif He just lets it go and picks up his other guitar. hehehe.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Mar 22 2014, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Hexabuzz @ Mar 24 2014, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess, to me, it's about whether a solo is saying something about the song and the music, and not just a way of being self indulgent or showing off - regardless of genre...

I guess I'd rather have 4 notes and 10 seconds of true feeling and melody than 4 million notes and 10 minutes of aimless wandering as your audience wanders away and/or falls asleep...

Yes, music is about feel, and exploration, and improvisation, but when it's also about a performance, as opposed to reaching inside yourself and getting lost in the notes, then there should be a compromise between what YOU want to do, and what your audience DESERVES to hear...

There's room for both, but if I'm paying, show me your best and most inspired moment, and save the next 15 minutes for your bedroom...

Just my ¢0.02

Everything should come with experience smile.gif But experience is gained when you learn from your mistakes and even better, from the mistakes of those around you wink.gif But there's a lot of people that never learn... sometimes, I am included too smile.gif
Guido Bungenstock
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 25 2014, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Laughed my head off smile.gif He tried it without strap locks. Nice smile.gif He just lets it go and picks up his other guitar. hehehe.

what a dumb idiot, haha

QUOTE (Josh Adams @ Mar 24 2014, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh totally agree, but there's a fine line isn't there? I guess it all comes down to taste. Maybe I'm being judgmental in viewing every charismatic guitar player (+ everyone who acknowledges the crowd) as an egotist -- probably. But yeah, there's a slim chance that maybe I'm not a t**t and there is actually a secret universal rule to guitar playing. Maybe.. but probably not haha!

Oh yes. theres's always a fine line and matter of taste. ;-)
wrk
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 25 2014, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

brilliant ... 2:36 “Thats the second time thats happened” ohmy.gif
Spock
It's great to have confidence and stage presence though, like these guys "RASH"...

Cosmin Lupu
One of the worst things to pull at a gig, is not arriving at all biggrin.gif

Yes, I have witnessed this one, if you were wondering! There were some friends of mine who were playing with a guy on drums, who called in sick in the last minute before the gig was about to start. Well, another friend bumped into him in a park that evening, while he was all over a girl... so yeah biggrin.gif You pretty much got the picture smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 26 2014, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I have witnessed this one, if you were wondering! There were some friends of mine who were playing with a guy on drums, who called in sick in the last minute before the gig was about to start. Well, another friend bumped into him in a park that evening, while he was all over a girl... so yeah biggrin.gif You pretty much got the picture smile.gif

Hahha now that is a good story! smile.gif

When it comes to worst tricks to pull at a gig (or not do it at all), I would say this one would rank quite high for me :
band being bored or dissatisfied because there are not so many people at the show. I have seen this many times unfortunately and I really dislike when frontman would make jokes related to how many people are in the audience etc. After all - the people who are there watching the show are then even more "valuable" as they actually showed up. It is not their fault if the gig is not sold out or something. They came for the show and they should get one. It shouldn't matter how many people are watching the show and in my opinion the band should have fun and give its 100% every time. Thinking more about it, any kind of "whining" on stage (ex: we are getting exhausted, its so hot in here, we haven't sold many CDs, music industry sucks etc) is just unacceptable smile.gif
Guido Bungenstock
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 26 2014, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great story, haha.

But to be serious something similar happened to me. More then 25 years ago(when there were no mobiles :-D ) and I hadn't a normal phone too I totally overslept and I didn't hear the door bell the band mates rang for many many minutes(They told me later) but i was sleeping like a baby.... And then they went to the gig without me and came back in the midnight saying that they had the best gig ever, hahaha

A few years ago I played some gigs with the phenomenal world class Drummer Benny Greb http://www.bennygreb.de. When we arrived at the gig he noticed that he just forgot all Cymbals and Hihats. But he said that he could do the gig with out it, no Problem. And yeah, it worked! He just used his tambourin as a Hihat and found one old totally broken cymbal over there... and he was just fantastic as usual. Unbelievable guy!!! :-D
Josh Adams
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Mar 26 2014, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When it comes to worst tricks to pull at a gig (or not do it at all), I would say this one would rank quite high for me :
band being bored or dissatisfied because there are not so many people at the show. I have seen this many times unfortunately and I really dislike when frontman would make jokes related to how many people are in the audience etc. After all - the people who are there watching the show are then even more "valuable" as they actually showed up. It is not their fault if the gig is not sold out or something. They came for the show and they should get one. It shouldn't matter how many people are watching the show and in my opinion the band should have fun and give its 100% every time. Thinking more about it, any kind of "whining" on stage (ex: we are getting exhausted, its so hot in here, we haven't sold many CDs, music industry sucks etc) is just unacceptable smile.gif

Just out of curiosity what is it that gets you when bands complain about the music industry on stage etc? I get what you're on about. But what if they made it funny for example? tongue.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Mar 26 2014, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree with you man smile.gif We have performed in the same way for 4000 people and for 20 people alike. NEVER change anything and things will be always be great. Sometimes, the energy of those 20 people means more than the boring attitude of 4000 people who won't resonate with your music, but they are there because of the context.

QUOTE (Josh Adams @ Mar 26 2014, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just out of curiosity what is it that gets you when bands complain about the music industry on stage etc? I get what you're on about. But what if they made it funny for example? tongue.gif

There's always a catch smile.gif When you give things a funny flavor and you make fun of the nasty obstacles in a relaxed and joyful manner, it can be ok. If you complain, it's not ok smile.gif It's a thin line man - at least as I see it!
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Josh Adams @ Mar 26 2014, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it would be the act of very complaining on stage about anything.

When I pay for the ticket and go to the concert I'm there to get relaxed and enjoy a (great) show not necessarily hear about the bands internal problems (TV documentaries are good for that). Also, I always thought the bands should act and do something about it, not complain as it is not productive. In example, playing an amazing show will boost chances of CD and Merch sales at the entrance where saying stuff like : "Please buy our CD, we only sold 10 of them ever. Media doesn't want to promote us." will probably diminish those chances. It is not a very accurate illustration but you get my point.

Of course - making things funny is a whole other dimension but as Cosmin mentioned it is a thin line and a bit dodgy.
For example, it can just not be so funny smile.gif Or it can cross into sarcasm and some people might not be fans of it.

P.s. There is also technical stuff that can ruin the vibe of the show like "Man this gear sucks" or "we are having technical difficulties with the monitoring". Audience in 90% of the cases usually doesn't know how that stuff works and what is involved in a show, they just want to hear (and see) the performance. Musicians can get really down because of "not ideal technical setup" for their gig but the actual experience for the audience can be completely different. It happened many times when we were touring that we played on gear that is completely broken or sounds rubbish and we couldn't hear anything properly on the stage and though we played poorly that audience gave us feedback during and after the show like it was one of the best we did.
Guido Bungenstock
I absolutely agree with U guys! ;-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.