Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd Rose
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
acousticwanabee
has anybody ever played a floyd rose guitar im planning on getting one pretty soon just wanna know what u guys think of em
MickeM
QUOTE (acousticwanabee @ Jul 11 2007, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
has anybody ever played a floyd rose guitar im planning on getting one pretty soon just wanna know what u guys think of em

Nope, not the guitar. And I take it you mean just that - Floyd Rose guitar, and not - guitar with a Floyd Rose
smile.gif
E.S.P Nut
I love it ! it never goes out of tune no matter how much i play around on the wammy biggrin.gif .As for the string change don't be put off it's really easy once you have done your home work,there's a ton of good vids on youtube showing you how to do it biggrin.gif
acousticwanabee
yea thats one of the reasons i want one is because of the string changing style looks pretty sweet
ZakkWylde
just make sure your new guitar has a high quality tremolo (floyd rose licensed). Some are made of cheap material, for example the bolts of my Flying V suck, had to change them.
Scott Gentzen
QUOTE (acousticwanabee @ Jul 11 2007, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't, but they look interesting. Musicians friend has them on sale for like $300. I worry about the stringe though...the new quick-change system needs strings with balls on both ends. Not sure how that changes variety of strings that you can play with...
Pavel
Hey, it's cool, i never heard of FLOYD ROSE GUITARS but really i searched Floyd Rose and found they really produce guitars:

http://www.floydrose.com/main.html
ClifordACDC
if you mean a guitar by floyd rose and not with one then you can only buy 1 brand of strings that are made for it and sometimes they arent the right length and are hard or impossible to tune because the fine tuners only do so much. also im guessing you wouldnt be able to do alternate tunings
Evan
They make a string set for down tuning actually -and the 'fine tuner range' adjustment allows for alternate tunings. There are actually two brands of strings you can select: Floyd Rose or Dean Markley.

The main advantage of the speedloader over the edge, original floyd rose, or floyd rose licensed copy is that once the guitar is set up for whatever tuning and string guage you want, it's really easy to just change the strings or tune. The brige also comes stock with the ability not only to be fully floating, but also to be 'blocked' (dive only, no pull-ups), or locked completely to create a fixed bridge. You can, however add this capability to a non-speedloader floyd rose with a minor mod.

There are many disadvantages to the speedloader which include:

In some areas, your local store does not carry these strings.

In certain countries, you cannot find these strings for a fair price.

You cannot unlock the nut which carries multiple limitations:

You cannot quickly change tunings mid-song. Some songs (VanHalen) go from standard to drop tuning or other tunings mid-song while also requiring the use of bar vibrato or dives. These songs are not playable on the speedloader. VanHalen's 'D-Tuner' mod also cannot be installed.

You cannot perform a 'behind the nut bend' or 'open string bend' (example: beginning of Black Sabbath's Iron Man). On any version of a normal floyd rose, you can unlock the strings at the nut to do these.

On a non-low profile floyd rose, you can do a 'saddle bend' (Vai, Cooley, Petrucci) as a substitute for the behind the nut bend while the nut is locked. The saddle bend is when you press down on one of the long screws that you use to lock the string into the bridge while supporting the rest of the bridge with another finger. This works by the same principle as tightening the fine tuners, and it's much easier to do it on an original floyd versus the low profile version. It is barely possible to do it with the speedloader, and the pitch bend range is reduced.

Most traditional problems of the floyd rose are still present when you have the bridge unlocked such as: Loss of correct tuning due to string breakage. Incorrect or out of tune unison bends, double stops, smears, and other situation where any chord is played simultaneously with a bend.

I know it sounds like a lot of bad, but actually, I love Floyd Rose bridges -I always have one on my main guitar, I just wanted you to be aware of the downsides. Long, but hope it was helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.