Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear Reviews Posting Guidelines
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
Kristofer Dahl
Hey!

Posting reviews is something everyone appreciates - as it gives valuable, inside, advice in the gear jungle.

Posting thoroughly prepared, high-quality reviews is also one of the best ways to get admitted as a gmc senior member!

This post is just a first attempt to put together some guidelines (based on Hardtail's earlier post) - if you feel something should be added/subtracted let us know and we will edit!

-Kris biggrin.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Enough hands-on experience with the reviewed equipment is a must.

2) Reviewer provides actual photos. Actual photos is a plus but not a must. Be sure to include some sort of picture would color the review up. Never link to a picture.

3) Both negative and positive reviews are encouraged, as long as clear reasons for like/dislike are given, enabling people to make their own judgements. Examples:

Bad: "This pedal gives a useless sound"
Good: "This pedal doesn't really give a sound that works for metal, would be better suited to blues"

In the first case you don't know why it is bad. In the second case, if you are a metal player you know not to get it, but if you are a blues player you could still be interested.

4) Reviewer provides price paid. Also, in which country it was bought.

5) Personal musical preference. It is important for others to understand what your perspective is.

6) End the review with a short sum up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MickeM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 12 2007, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey!

Posting reviews is something everyone appreciates - as it gives valuable, inside, advice in the gear jungle.

Posting thoroughly prepared, high-quality reviews is also one of the best ways to get admitted as a gmc senior member!

This post is just a first attempt to put together some guidelines (based on Hardtail's earlier post) - if you feel something should be added/subtracted let us know and we will edit!

-Kris biggrin.gif

1) Reviewer owns the device being reviewed. It would also be okay if say a friend owns the device but you have borrowed it for an extensive period of time and have had at least a few days to seriously learn and

2) Reviewer provides ACTUAL photos. This is very important to me because manufacturer photos are always airbrushed up and brightened and don't really reflect what it will look like in real life.

3) Reviewer provides price paid.

My suggestions and I'll keep it short.

Points 1 through 3 are based on Hardtails points.

1) Enough hands on experience with equipment is a must - Yes!

2) As I said before. Someone could review old and sold equpiment but lack photos. Actual photos is a plus but not a must. But some sort of picture would color the review up.

3) Price paid but also where, in which country, it was bought.

4) Personal preferences in music style and what I was trying to achive out of this test.

4) End the review with a short sum up.
Andrew Cockburn
How about:

Both negative and positive reviews are encouraged, as long as clear reasons for like/dislike are given, enabling people to make their own judgements. Examples:

Good: "This pedal doesn't really give a sound that works for metal, would be better suited to blues"

Now, in the first case you don't know why it is bad. In the second case, if you are a metal player you know not to get it, but itf you are a blues player you could still be interested.
Pavel
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 12 2007, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is definitely a good suggestion!
Kristofer Dahl
Edited! smile.gif
The Uncreator
This sounds good, im gonna adjust my Ibanez Review now.
Pavel
Little question here: what about a VIDEO review?

When i get the RC-7 i will make a review on it and i also wanted to include a video showing the guitar from all angles, little demonstration of sound, advantages of huge cutaway....

What do you say about it?
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 24 2007, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When i get the RC-7 i will make a review on it and i also wanted to include a video showing the guitar from all angles, little demonstration of sound, advantages of huge cutaway....

I think that's a cool idea - still include all the basic info, but add a video so people can see it and hear it smile.gif
Pavel
Yeah i will make it just as all the others reviews but i will make a bit less text and include a video instead of describing it all in text! Sound speaks for itself, right? I think it can be a test review with video so if it turns out good - people can try doing same thing!
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 24 2007, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah i will make it just as all the others reviews but i will make a bit less text and include a video instead of describing it all in text! Sound speaks for itself, right? I think it can be a test review with video so if it turns out good - people can try doing same thing!

Yep, sounds exactly right, looking forward to it!
Smikey2006
ooo a video review sounds awsome biggrin.gif, if i made a video review of something and submitted it to the gear reviews section or would it get moved?
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 24 2007, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a great idea - if you have got lots to say about it we could even make it a "gear lesson" and have it in the misc lesson section. If you want to explain all the different parts of the guitar to a gear novice! smile.gif
Pavel
Ok, thanks Kris! We'll discuss it later on, when i get my guitar!! I think it will sure be something interesting to try out!
Bogdan Radovic
Is it allowed to post links to the actual store where I bought reviewed piece of gear ??
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Dec 6 2007, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it allowed to post links to the actual store where I bought reviewed piece of gear ??

Sure!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.