Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andy James Dreamrig Competition!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Huargo
A lot of good prices and a nice baking to practicce all the shreeding stuff!
Anyone in? smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Give us more info! smile.gif
Socky42
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 9 2014, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give us more info! smile.gif

Here you go mate.

https://andyjamesguitaracademy.com/dreamrig/ - Just scroll down to the bottom.

and Guitar Pro just put out a free lesson on the track.

http://blog.guitar-pro.com/2014/06/andy-ja...-guitar-lesson/
Monica Gheorghevici
Also, another 2 contests are opened in this period smile.gif

PosterBoy
They need to make it that the worse person wins!

I may be in with a chance then!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jun 10 2014, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, another 2 contests are opened in this period smile.gif

Cool ones, thanks for sharing Monica. Are you going to join any one?
Huargo
And the Martin inferno too!
http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/05/27/annou...r-solo-contest/
Azzaboi
Was snooping around this just the other day, already entered. Good luck to all smile.gif
Monica Gheorghevici
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 10 2014, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool ones, thanks for sharing Monica. Are you going to join any one?

This time I will not participate. I thought to make a take for " Shut Up & Play" but the backing it's totally opposite for my taste. So, I truly believe in "if you don't feel that style your playing will never transmit something". When I make a take I try to let a piece of my soul there wink.gif
But I wait the melodic contest by David Wallimann smile.gif It should start somewhere in August.
Gabriel Leopardi
[quote name='Monica Gheorghevici' date='Jun 11 2014, 02:41 AM' post='688752']
This time I will not participate. I thought to make a take for " Shut Up & Play" but the backing it's totally opposite for my taste. So, I truly believe in "if you don't feel that style your playing will never transmit something". When I make a take I try to let a piece of my soul there wink.gif
But I wait the melodic contest by David Wallimann smile.gif It should start somewhere in August.
[/quote

It sounds reasonable Monica. If you don't feel it, don't do it. wink.gif
Monica Gheorghevici
A new competition it's open and I thought maybe some of you will be interested smile.gif This time it's about to make an original composition or if you have already one you can submit it.
More detail you can find here: https://apps.facebook.com/meltwaterpromo/998362

3 weeks and 6 days left to submit

enlo22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaC5ErRPqoY here's my take, there's a million people who are crazy good! but it was fun smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jun 27 2014, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaC5ErRPqoY here's my take, there's a million people who are crazy good! but it was fun smile.gif

Hey Marcoooo!

Nice take man! I think you have a fair chance here - you played melodic and shreddy as well! A nice combo of technique and mini melodies.

If I were to spot something, that would be the fact that it would be even greater if you would've created a more structured and directional take.
Improvising is really like song writing - it has to have a beginning and an end and a story in between. How to do that?

- analyze the structure - what does it allow you to do - how many different parts are there?
- build a main theme - which can act as a chorus
- develop the main theme if you wish adding or substracting notes
- build 'verse like' phrases in between the passages in which the main theme repeats itself, as any well behaved chorus does smile.gif

People like structure and direction and I think this is what your take needs in order to get you to the next level, in ANY competition out there, because once again, it's not about the technique, but about the music biggrin.gif
Monica Gheorghevici
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jun 27 2014, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great work, I enjoyed your take!! Good luck in contest smile.gif

Marco, I was thinking at something. Why you not enter in EZdrummer 2 - Songwriting Competition with your last song Nostalgic - World Decay? It's a good song and also the mixing sounds VERY good. You worked a lot for mixing and in this kind of contest will matter wink.gif Just think at this, you have an advantage wink.gif

Todd Simpson
I tried the MULTI AMP @ Guitar Center and WOW. I was really impressed at how much if "felt" like an amp and NOT like a processor. It has a VERY dynamic response that reminds me a TON of my ELEVEN RACK. When you hit it harder and softer with pick strikes, it completely changes the character of the tone.

I"m on the lookout for a MULTIAMP to buy but I"m a patient guy so I can wait until I find a really good deal on one smile.gif I don't really "need" it as the 11r is still suiting me just fine, but I really liked how it felt so I"d like to add one to my rack smile.gif Anyone else tried one?

Also, one big plus for me is that it DOESN'T sound like an Axe FX. The AXE is a BRILLIANT unit to be sure but I've noticed a similarity in the gain structure across various presets that can make the various tones it gets sort of run together. So many folks that I listen to are using the AXE FX with a MATRIX power amp through either a MESA or ORANGE cab, that it seems the "IT" tone is becoming a nearly limiting factor. Not to say you can't make unique tones with it, YOU CAN smile.gif Just that I'm noticing a LOT of folks using it starting to sound very much alike. Have you guys noticed this?

Here is a multi amp vid just in case smile.gif

enlo22
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jun 27 2014, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great work, I enjoyed your take!! Good luck in contest smile.gif

Marco, I was thinking at something. Why you not enter in EZdrummer 2 - Songwriting Competition with your last song Nostalgic - World Decay? It's a good song and also the mixing sounds VERY good. You worked a lot for mixing and in this kind of contest will matter wink.gif Just think at this, you have an advantage wink.gif

hey monica smile.gif where's that competion at? i've never heard about it!
Monica Gheorghevici
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jun 28 2014, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey monica smile.gif where's that competion at? i've never heard about it!

I wrote yesterday about competition in this topic tongue.gif It's right before your take for Dream Rig Competition biggrin.gif

https://apps.facebook.com/meltwaterpromo/998362

enlo22
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 27 2014, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Marcoooo!

Nice take man! I think you have a fair chance here - you played melodic and shreddy as well! A nice combo of technique and mini melodies.

If I were to spot something, that would be the fact that it would be even greater if you would've created a more structured and directional take.
Improvising is really like song writing - it has to have a beginning and an end and a story in between. How to do that?

- analyze the structure - what does it allow you to do - how many different parts are there?
- build a main theme - which can act as a chorus
- develop the main theme if you wish adding or substracting notes
- build 'verse like' phrases in between the passages in which the main theme repeats itself, as any well behaved chorus does smile.gif

People like structure and direction and I think this is what your take needs in order to get you to the next level, in ANY competition out there, because once again, it's not about the technique, but about the music biggrin.gif

hey cosmin smile.gifI tried to sort of build a theme but maybe it didn't come across right? The repeating/structured part was the first riff/ at around 1:20? i tried to make that the "home" of the solo
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jun 28 2014, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey cosmin smile.gifI tried to sort of build a theme but maybe it didn't come across right? The repeating/structured part was the first riff/ at around 1:20? i tried to make that the "home" of the solo

Hey Marco, you mean the one that appears at 0:25 as well - indeed, it is repeating, but somehow it didn't make it for me.

Now, I may be a little bit subjective on the matter, simply because I am listening to little, close to no shreddy guitar music anymore, but the intention is good! As I said, maybe the parts should be more different in respect to note lengths in order to create a clearer differentiation and dynamic feeling.

See - the main theme in Guthrie's tune is all 16th notes and it creates a certain state of mind, it's very easily recognizable and the other parts have a totally different dynamic, more rests and more a free feel - this could be an example of what I have in mind.

Once again, this is my opinion, maybe the guys have some other thoughts on the matter as well, but it's never a bad thing to have a basket of ideas from which to choose when you will need to work on something wink.gif

Jim S.
I haven't really followed this but a guitar player that I'm subscribed on YouTube posted his video entry and it was Fantastico! I've got to share this

Do you know about Leonardo Guzman?
Monica Gheorghevici
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 6 2014, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you know about Leonardo Guzman?

Yes, I know him and I always enjoy his videos. Leonardo is an awesome player and one of the guys which uses a guitar tone that I like very much. I still remember his entry from last year from Ibanez competition. He had a great take. I also liked his entry for Andy James Competition but my favorite take from his work is this:

And this is his take from Ibanez contest that I was talking about smile.gif Really an awesome composition!!

I saw many great players in Andy James competition but I must say that I was very happy about the final result smile.gif Not because the winner it's friend with me but Yiannis is also one of my favorite guitarists. His style of playing and composition it fits very well with my taste wink.gif He is an amazing musician!!!

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jul 7 2014, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I know him and I always enjoy his videos. Leonardo is an awesome player and one of the guys which uses a guitar tone that I like very much. I still remember his entry from last year from Ibanez competition. He had a great take. I also liked his entry for Andy James Competition but my favorite take from his work is this:

And this is his take from Ibanez contest that I was talking about smile.gif Really an awesome composition!!

I saw many great players in Andy James competition but I must say that I was very happy about the final result smile.gif Not because the winner it's friend with me but Yiannis is also one of my favorite guitarists. His style of playing and composition it fits very well with my taste wink.gif He is an amazing musician!!!

I must agree smile.gif And he is also in the PRS family biggrin.gif
Jim S.
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jul 7 2014, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Monica I just watched a few of his videos and what a great player! These guys that switch through leads every other bar just amaze me. One killer lick after another.

Have you found that your able to comprehend guitar solos better than you could? When I was younger and I heard a solo I'd be in disbelief but now I can start hearing each part and sort of understand how it's being produced.

Lastly have you ever covered one of his solos? I started working on a guzman solo and slowed down 80% it's still a challenge! Take care Monica!

Spock

The lick that starts at 1:20 and ends with the bend at 1:26, then the resolve through 1:35 - just SLAYS me. Don't get any sweeter than that.
Monica Gheorghevici
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 12 2014, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Monica I just watched a few of his videos and what a great player! These guys that switch through leads every other bar just amaze me. One killer lick after another.

Have you found that your able to comprehend guitar solos better than you could? When I was younger and I heard a solo I'd be in disbelief but now I can start hearing each part and sort of understand how it's being produced.

Lastly have you ever covered one of his solos? I started working on a guzman solo and slowed down 80% it's still a challenge! Take care Monica!

Hey Jim, I'm glad you liked Yiannis smile.gif You have right these guys really put one killer lick after another.

Yes, lately I start to see details behind sounds. Actually in my mentoring with Darek, all our works is based on see details, discover the technique behind, learn that technique and play all tiny things as in original. You know it's vey funny when sometimes I listen a song that I like and I wake up saying " for this lick he used this technique" or " this note was played with pick in this angle to catch that sound". These kind of moments, when I can reproduce a similar thing makes me happy smile.gif But this is just a start, I have a long way to understand everything.

About covers, I tried to play some things but my actual level put me obstacles. My strong ability (when we talk about covers) is that I'm able to put on different instruments (piano, guitar, harmonica) and very fast everything I hear. I grew up without internet, tabs and my ears have been trained in that way. When I was in music school we had a course where our teacher played a short thing on piano and we must write tab for that thing without to touch the instrument. This was very important for everything I made and I will make in musical area.

And now my weakness point. I'm still at the level when I learn techniques. Even if I know what notes these guys played there are many things that I can't do them right now. Besides their playing at "speed of light" they use sweep, hybrid picking and a lot other techniques which are new for me. My actual vision about hybrid picking: definitely it's a thing from the other planet laugh.gif
I start to practice all these and I try to learn with Darek all things how fast I can. To be honest I start to play at guitar 2 years ago and these guys play at guitar from childhood and I don't know how much time I need to be able to make a cover after them. But this huge difference between our levels makes me very ambitious to try catch up these guys. All I know is I wish to get at their level of playing. Even if I will need another 100 years for this to be possible I will not give up wink.gif

BTW I hardly wait to see your cover after Guzman smile.gif This will be awesome!

QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 12 2014, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The lick that starts at 1:20 and ends with the bend at 1:26, then the resolve through 1:35 - just SLAYS me. Don't get any sweeter than that.

Haha.....I love the same part, it's magnificent smile.gif

Jim S.
[quote name='Monica Gheorghevici' date='Jul 12 2014, 12:55 PM' post='691608']
Hey Jim, I'm glad you liked Yiannis smile.gif You have right these guys really put one killer lick after another.

Yes, lately I start to see details behind sounds. Actually in my mentoring with Darek, all our works is based on see details, discover the technique behind, learn that technique and play all tiny things as in original. You know it's vey funny when sometimes I listen a song that I like and I wake up saying " for this lick he used this technique" or " this note was played with pick in this angle to catch that sound". These kind of moments, when I can reproduce a similar thing makes me happy smile.gif But this is just a start, I have a long way to understand everything.

About covers, I tried to play some things but my actual level put me obstacles. My strong ability (when we talk about covers) is that I'm able to put on different instruments (piano, guitar, harmonica) and very fast everything I hear. I grew up without internet, tabs and my ears have been trained in that way. When I was in music school we had a course where our teacher played a short thing on piano and we must write tab for that thing without to touch the instrument. This was very important for everything I made and I will make in musical area.

And now my weakness point. I'm still at the level when I learn techniques. Even if I know what notes these guys played there are many things that I can't do them right now. Besides their playing at "speed of light" they use sweep, hybrid picking and a lot other techniques which are new for me. My actual vision about hybrid picking: definitely it's a thing from the other planet laugh.gif
I start to practice all these and I try to learn with Darek all things how fast I can. To be honest I start to play at guitar 2 years ago and these guys play at guitar from childhood and I don't know how much time I need to be able to make a cover after them. But this huge difference between our levels makes me very ambitious to try catch up these guys. All I know is I wish to get at their level of playing. Even if I will need another 100 years for this to be possible I will not give up wink.gif

BTW I hardly wait to see your cover after Guzman smile.gif

Monica thanks for sharing yourself. It is cool to think you've only played for two years!!! That's amazing, your gonna be a great. The ear training you've had coupled by the great inspirational teachers here sounds like a good recipe.

I have played guitar for about ten years but I have only gotten serious in the last 2. I have always been serious and motivated to play but was never encouraged to learn anything. Even if it takes me another 100 years I'll be digging my grave with a guitar neck wondering if I could economy or hybrid pick the hole.

My strengths come from the energy i have when playing but technically is where most of my problem areas. There is music inside me and I think about it all day. Getting out what I want to play is so hard.

Here's something I've noticed. When I learn a solo from someone who knows, the notes and rhythm just fit so nicely. It baffles me that it all works. My solos are stale in comparison.

About the guzman cover.... It's gonna be a little bit. I'm taking some time to work on timing and coordination. Once I step up a level I will surely begin again!

Monica Gheorghevici
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 13 2014, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Monica thanks for sharing yourself. It is cool to think you've only played for two years!!! That's amazing, your gonna be a great. The ear training you've had coupled by the great inspirational teachers here sounds like a good recipe.

I have played guitar for about ten years but I have only gotten serious in the last 2. I have always been serious and motivated to play but was never encouraged to learn anything. Even if it takes me another 100 years I'll be digging my grave with a guitar neck wondering if I could economy or hybrid pick the hole.

My strengths come from the energy i have when playing but technically is where most of my problem areas. There is music inside me and I think about it all day. Getting out what I want to play is so hard.

Here's something I've noticed. When I learn a solo from someone who knows, the notes and rhythm just fit so nicely. It baffles me that it all works. My solos are stale in comparison.

About the guzman cover.... It's gonna be a little bit. I'm taking some time to work on timing and coordination. Once I step up a level I will surely begin again!

The fact that you are serious and motivated about playing it's the key of success wink.gif
You have a great energy when you play. I saw your take from Rec (Odd Grooves lesson) and it sounds awesome!!! You really gives your energy to listener and this is a great thing. Also I like your guitar tone, it's very tasty.
I remember last year I saw in a topic your cover after Andy Timmons "Electric Gypsy". I liked it and also I know that you made a cover after "Heavy Funkin" by Darius. Damn... I like that song very much and I hope to be able someday to play that lesson.

Even if I hardly wait to see you cover after Guzman, I'm glad that you not hurry with this. I have a special admiration for people who choose to work at details for making something good.
I also not hurry with a lesson or a song. I can work many hours or 1 week just for 3 notes. I think making all things in the right way it's the best way to go further.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.