Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well, I Went And Done It - Ngd
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
bleez
Well after all my jonesing for an ibby, I decided on the Ibanez S970.
It was really between that and a used prestige but after playing them I went for the premium s970.
Wenge/Bubinga neck
mahogany body with rosewood cap
Edge Zero II bridge

Its very different from a Les Paul cool.gif its kinda intimidating to play!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It's going to take me a bit to get used to it. I need to adjust my right hand a bit because the volume pot is quite close to the pickup which is a little awkward at the moment with being so used to the LP layout.
Never had a trem before so Im looking forward to learning to use it properly.
Spock
That is WICKED!!!! Congratulations!
VilleFIN
Wow, really nice Ibanez. And so thin body and neck !

When I had my Ibby I had to lower the middle pickup, because I kept hitting it with my plectrum biggrin.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 29 2014, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is WICKED!!!! Congratulations!

thank you sir biggrin.gif

QUOTE (WeePee @ Jun 29 2014, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I had my Ibby I had to lower the middle pickup, because I kept hitting it with my plectrum biggrin.gif

wiat... you can do that! That's genius smile.gif Im totally hitting the middle pickup with my plec all the time. I didnt think about lowering it!
Todd Simpson
NICE!!! A fine choice smile.gif Record something!!

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 29 2014, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well after all my jonesing for an ibby, I decided on the Ibanez S970.
It was really between that and a used prestige but after playing them I went for the premium s970.
Wenge/Bubinga neck
mahogany body with rosewood cap
Edge Zero II bridge

Its very different from a Les Paul cool.gif its kinda intimidating to play!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It's going to take me a bit to get used to it. I need to adjust my right hand a bit because the volume pot is quite close to the pickup which is a little awkward at the moment with being so used to the LP layout.
AK Rich
QUOTE (WeePee @ Jun 29 2014, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, really nice Ibanez. And so thin body and neck !

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 29 2014, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thank you sir biggrin.gif

wiat... you can do that! That's genius smile.gif Im totally hitting the middle pickup with my plec all the time. I didnt think about lowering it!

When I bought my Ibanez used , it had these EMG's in it, and the middle pickup was not wired in anymore. I had the same problem of hitting that middle pickup with my pick too , and I couldn't lower it enough. So I finally just took it out and replaced the cover.

Congrats Bleez, that is a nice looking guitar!, May it serve you well!

Click to view attachment

Jeroen
Great guitar and awesome finish. May it serve you well!! Ibanez builds great guitars. Enjoy!!
Mertay
Congrats!

Awesome guitar, the S definitely has a feel to itself and I advise let it invite you to it smile.gif try various sitting positions, hand rest placement...really its all about relaxing yourself as much as possible almost like "playing" an air guitar biggrin.gif

jstcrsn
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 29 2014, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool.gif its kinda intimidating to play!

That is not a metal attitude,grab it by the u-know- whats and shred that sucka
SixStringSamurai
That looks lovely. Congrats!
bleez
Thanks for all the tips, guys smile.gif I'm still trying to find the best playing position and I think the trem needs to be leveled, as the end with the fine tuners is sitting up at an angle, I think its meant to be flat..... not sure tbh.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 29 2014, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is not a metal attitude,grab it by the u-know- whats and shred that sucka

I shall indeed smile.gif
Jeroen
I'm pretty sure that an edge zero 2 trem is supposed to be setup as shown in the picture below. For as far is I can see on your pictures the angle is a bit big. If the trem is setup correct the back of the trem (with the fine tune knobs) is under an angle a little bit upward. But the part of the trem where the strings are attached is lying parrallel with the body of the guitar

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 30 2014, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the tips, guys smile.gif I'm still trying to find the best playing position and I think the trem needs to be leveled, as the end with the fine tuners is sitting up at an angle, I think its meant to be flat..... not sure tbh.

I shall indeed smile.gif
Hajduk
Damn I'm jealous, good buy Bleez, I really want that guitar, got great reviews, congrats
Sensible Jones
That is a really nice looking piece mate!!

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 30 2014, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, the Saddle Plate should be parallel with the top of the body when in tune and fully tensioned.
biggrin.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jun 30 2014, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is a really nice looking piece mate!!

Yep, the Saddle Plate should be parallel with the top of the body when in tune and fully tensioned.

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jun 30 2014, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure that an edge zero 2 trem is supposed to be setup as shown in the picture below. For as far is I can see on your pictures the angle is a bit big. If the trem is setup correct the back of the trem (with the fine tune knobs) is under an angle a little bit upward. But the part of the trem where the strings are attached is lying parrallel with the body of the guitar

Interesting, I'll try to take a decent pic of the trem after work to see what you guys think. cheers.

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jun 30 2014, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn I'm jealous, good buy Bleez, I really want that guitar, got great reviews, congrats

thanks smile.gif I read a lot of the reviews about these models beforehand, its even more awesome than I expected!
Spock
I'm anxious to know how you like the neck after playing it for a few days. I know it's totally different from a Les Paul and I wonder if it's something you are excited about.

For me, I like the different feel of guitars, and I learn different songs on different feeling guitars to where a certain thing played doesn't feel right if I play it on something different.

I am soooo wanting an Ibanez now, with you SpaceMonkey, Todd and Cosmin owning them - and remembering how much I loved mine.
Todd Simpson

Didn't you see my post? IBANEZ GUITARS ARE LAME!!! THICK NECKED GUITARS RULE!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 30 2014, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm anxious to know how you like the neck after playing it for a few days. I know it's totally different from a Les Paul and I wonder if it's something you are excited about.

For me, I like the different feel of guitars, and I learn different songs on different feeling guitars to where a certain thing played doesn't feel right if I play it on something different.

I am soooo wanting an Ibanez now, with you SpaceMonkey, Todd and Cosmin owning them - and remembering how much I loved mine.

Ben Higgins
The only thing is now, with that skinny guitar.. you won't get a workout from playing standing up, not like the LP !

Your speed will go up but your biceps will go down.

That's the price of shred, my friend !!

Unless you're JP.... but then JP has.... powers. ph34r.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 1 2014, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

aw dude, it's funny you say that because I was just thinking last night how much I freakin love this neck!! the wood, the finish and how its thin but wide. it's just really amazing to play.
totally agree with you on playing different things on different guitars. One of the 'things' I like to play is the solo for Pearl Jams 'Alive' and I still prefer to play that on a Paul but all my speed picking exercises and stuff like that are pure joy on the ibby... wizard neck for the win!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 1 2014, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing is now, with that skinny guitar.. you won't get a workout from playing standing up, not like the LP !

Your speed will go up but your biceps will go down.

That's the price of shred, my friend !!

Unless you're JP.... but then JP has.... powers. ph34r.gif

y'know what..... Im cool with that trade off smile.gif Im sure chicks are more impressed with fast alt picking runs than huge biceps anyways cool.gif
Monica Gheorghevici
Congrats for acquisition!! Looks awesome!!
Todd Simpson
Amen to that!! smile.gif Welcome to the Insane Ibby Thin Neck Club!! smile.gif

Glad you are digging it. I really do love the way the ibby necks feel smile.gif I still have other guitars, 2 deans, 2 hamers, a strictly 7, etc. and each has their place. But the ibbys are special smile.gif All three of them!! Four if I include the 5 string bass smile.gif Egad! I"m pushing up against my half a dozen or so limit!!! Closer to a dozen, hmm.

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 1 2014, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aw dude, it's funny you say that because I was just thinking last night how much I freakin love this neck!! the wood, the finish and how its thin but wide. it's just really amazing to play.
totally agree with you on playing different things on different guitars. One of the 'things' I like to play is the solo for Pearl Jams 'Alive' and I still prefer to play that on a Paul but all my speed picking exercises and stuff like that are pure joy on the ibby... wizard neck for the win!

y'know what..... Im cool with that trade off smile.gif Im sure chicks are more impressed with fast alt picking runs than huge biceps anyways cool.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Looks nice man! Congrats! You will probably feel like flying after all the Les Paul experience biggrin.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 3 2014, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks nice man! Congrats! You will probably feel like flying after all the Les Paul experience biggrin.gif

I picked up my LP this morning and thought 'has it always been so heavy?' laugh.gif
Darius Wave
Well well....I would never expect a guitar like this in Your hands Bleez biggrin.gif Now You've destryed Your Zakish image biggrin.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 3 2014, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well well....I would never expect a guitar like this in Your hands Bleez biggrin.gif Now You've destryed Your Zakish image biggrin.gif

I wont lie.... it does feel a little bit wrong, I hope Gibson dont find out!

I'll buy another Les Paul for my next guitar to make up for it smile.gif
Darius Wave
That would be great biggrin.gif I'msure Gibson will appreciate it biggrin.gif
Todd Simpson
Hahahahaha. Yeah smile.gif It has!!! I had a LP (Minarik Lotus) and I loved the sustain but it was heavier than my 30 inch scale 8 string!!!!
The ibby probablly feels like it's a paper light by comparison smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 3 2014, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I picked up my LP this morning and thought 'has it always been so heavy?' laugh.gif

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 3 2014, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure you'll get back to the Gibson soon enough biggrin.gif There's something about those guitars that lures people, regardless of their weight and cumbersomeness in respect to playing. I must say, I am no Les Paul fan, in respect to playability, but that TONE, that can make me forget about a lot of things biggrin.gif

Well, I realized that I am more of a tone person rather than a playability person and I found myself not taking the ease of playing too much into account. For instance, I got a PRS Swamp Ash Special at home right now - it belongs to a friend - and it has a neck like a baseball bat, but sweet Jesus, does it sound awesome...

It's the green one with the maple neck:

More on it soon smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.