Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boss Tu-2
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
erik
Wiki Link
ZakkWylde
The only thing that's missing is the true bypass, the rest is perfect.
I also stomp this thing when I change guitars to protect my amp because it mutes.
Smikey2006
Wow ive never even thought of having 1 of these, sounds really like a lifesaver,Great Review thanks for this.
FretDancer69
Awesome review man. Good job, the pictures look great. smile.gif
MickeM
Great review! Got any sound clips? laugh.gif
Nick325
i didnt know it cold do that i thought it was just a stupid tuner ohmy.gif
Nick325
how can it change tunings without you even touching it?
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 15 2007, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing that's missing is the true bypass, the rest is perfect.
I also stomp this thing when I change guitars to protect my amp because it mutes.

Awesome pedal,I use it for live all time time!!
Hmm...it has bypass out,right?
Lurgen
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 16 2007, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome pedal,I use it for live all time time!!
Hmm...it has bypass out,right?

Yep, you have two output options - one where the signal is cut off while tuning, the other where it passes through no matter what. I prefer the cut-off output so I can mute while changing guitars.

This was a very good review, I bought one of these units based on this review.
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Lurgen @ Aug 16 2007, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, you have two output options - one where the signal is cut off while tuning, the other where it passes through no matter what. I prefer the cut-off output so I can mute while changing guitars.

This was a very good review, I bought one of these units based on this review.

Ohh yeah,pardon me guys...good review!!!!!! smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
Slightly OT, but does anyone know what the deal is with strobe tuners? Is it just a more accurate readout with the strobe, or do they actually work differently internally?
Francis Viviers
Ive got the same tuner, I plug it into my boss volume pedal's tuner out and thus i get no tone change. Doing it this way also makes that you can use the volume mute the output sound and still tune your guitar.

Edited for unnecesarily large quote - Andrew
Hardtail
Great product, good review. I own 2 of these for performing. If your getting tone loss from this pedal at all I'd recommend upgrading your instrument cables. After reading this I just did an A/B test with this pedal on both my amps and I get no detectable tone loss. This needs to be tagged under "Essential Gear" imo laugh.gif

Hardtail
Kristofer Dahl
The only thing that annoys me with this one is that it takes a second or two for it to switch from bypass to tuner. That can be devastating when you have short of time in between the songs! Still, I can't live without it! smile.gif
misterj
definately one of the best, most useful pedals ever produced. ive been using it for years. most pedals arent true bypass (although they should be) the exceptions being line 6, voodoo lab stuff, and expensive botique stuff. ( still not even then sometimes.) the point being that if you want a true bypass rig, you are going to pay a lot for it. if your not rich, my advise would be to keep efx to a minimal, and cables as short as possible, if you care or can even notice a difference (only a very sensative ear can). the tuner by itself would take very little frequency from the end result tone. the difference id say would be negligable.

f.y.i., wah pedals suck the MOST tone. that difference doesnt even take as sensative of an ear. if you want one thats true bypass, your gonna pay a couple hundred dollars (not sure the international equivalent $) although, i think i heard that vox is now producing one. sorry if this is a little o.t. (to borrow a term from andrew) mabe another topic for another time....
erik
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 16 2007, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how can it change tunings without you even touching it?

It's chromatic, so it shows the note instead of the string. So you dont have to press any buttons to make it tune your guitar in a different tuning. Ofcourse you have to know what notes each string should have. (example, open E = EADGBE)
I didn't mean its tuning the guitar without you having to touch the guitar, if thats what you thought tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 17 2007, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing that annoys me with this one is that it takes a second or two for it to switch from bypass to tuner. That can be devastating when you have short of time in between the songs! Still, I can't live without it! smile.gif

That's never happened to me blink.gif
Nick325
QUOTE (erik @ Aug 18 2007, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's chromatic, so it shows the note instead of the string. So you dont have to press any buttons to make it tune your guitar in a different tuning. Ofcourse you have to know what notes each string should have. (example, open E = EADGBE)
I didn't mean its tuning the guitar without you having to touch the guitar, if thats what you thought tongue.gif

so it makes it sound in the tuning you chose?
erik
When you play an open string, such as the E-string, the tuner shows the note E, instead of "string number 6". So say that you want the E-string to be a D instead (as in drop D tuning), just start tuning the string down and the tuner will show what note it is. Tune it down a bit, and the tuner will probably show an out of tuned D# (which is a half note below E). Tune it down some more and the tuner will show a D wich is a full note below E, and now you are in drop D tuning. And then ofcourse you can fine adjust it in the tone you want.
Nick325
i know how to tune a guitar but how does it change tuning during a song for example
erik
I dont know if I can explain it any easier.. You don't choose a tuning. The tuner shows the tone you are playing, so it doesnt have to change tuning. It doesn't show which string it is, it shows which TONE it is. And if you tune a string to a different tone, it detects that you are playing another note, and lets you tune that note instead. So therefore, you can tune whatever string to whatever note.
Nick325
"2. You are playing a song in D standard live and you need to get to drop D fast without changing guitar."

how do you do it than?
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 19 2007, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"2. You are playing a song in D standard live and you need to get to drop D fast without changing guitar."
how do you do it than?

Hit the tuner switch

Turn your E tuning peg down until the tuner says D

make sure it is in the middle of the range

Hit the tuner swutch again

and you are done, in about 5 seconds with noone hearing a thing.
Nick325
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 19 2007, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hit the tuner switch

o well i no how to use a tuner tongue.gif but i thought you ment it does it with out you tuning it
jammer91
I dont get whats so special about this tuner.

Does it automatically tune your guitar? (lets says your guitar is tuned to standard E and you want to quickly switch to dropped C, can you just plug in this tuner and select a dropped C setting and you will get dropped C sound even though your guitar is tuned to E)

If so id buy this, but ive never heard of such a thing...

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 20 2007, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hit the tuner switch

Oh so you just turn the knobs without plucking the string.... Amazing. I need one of those.

But ive already got a huge wish list:
-Roland Cube 60 or Laney LX65D
AND
-Line 6 POD XTLIVE or Boss MT-2

Still cant decide the right combination for high gain sound
erik
I think some of you have to read closer what I wrote..
Hemlok
Yep, i think a couple people need to re-read the posts, it is a tuner, not a magic hat. Although Andrew said something once about his Variax letting him change the tuning of his guitar, or is that something to do with the PODXTL, I don't really know anything about Variax's... Research time! smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Sep 8 2007, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, i think a couple people need to re-read the posts, it is a tuner, not a magic hat. Although Andrew said something once about his Variax letting him change the tuning of his guitar, or is that something to do with the PODXTL, I don't really know anything about Variax's... Research time! smile.gif

Yeah, its all built into the guitar, and it still doesn't do the tuning for you, it offsets the notes by a fixed amount, so if you are out of tune in Standard you will also be out of tune in Drop D - so you still need a tuner smile.gif
man0mule
My friend has one of these. really easy to use. and the fact that you can power multiple peddles with only 1 ac adapter is one of the best things ever.

i'm asking for one for christmas.
mattacuk
I see alot of professional players often mention how much they like this item in the guitar mags. I think its cool and would definatly buy one!
Pavel
The thing is - a lot of players also get paid to tell how much they like certain gear sad.gif wink.gif
mattacuk
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 17 2007, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is - a lot of players also get paid to tell how much they like certain gear sad.gif wink.gif

Hehe yes your right there smile.gif
Muris Varajic
That is true for sure,but many still use TU-2 on stage. wink.gif
mattacuk
I have the TU-80 which not bad for the money. But i would like to upgrade to something better!
Muris Varajic
TU-80 is great as well Matt,fine unit for quick tuning plus mic to tune acoustic without pickup. smile.gif
Advantage of TU-2 is mainly in "on stage" use,you don't need it for home use or som.
And you surely DON'T need it if your acoustic guitar doesn't have pickup. wink.gif
mattacuk
QUOTE (Muris @ Nov 17 2007, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TU-80 is great as well Matt,fine unit for quick tuning plus mic to tune acoustic without pickup. smile.gif
Advantage of TU-2 is mainly in "on stage" use,you don't need it for home use or som.
And you surely DON'T need it if your acoustic guitar doesn't have pickup. wink.gif

Ahh ok!! i will stick with the TU-80 then! smile.gif
erik

If Alexi uses it, it is good enough for me! smile.gif

edit:
omg roope too! tongue.gif
Muris Varajic
Luke has it as well wink.gif

Click to view attachment
Lurgen
I noticed something about my TU-2 last night that really annoyed me... The so-called "bypass" isn't quite complete. When I was tuning, my amp was set to pretty much maximum overdrive and I was getting some sound leaking through. Not much, but enough to be heard.

This has to be the first time I have found a fault with anything made by Boss.
Ivan Milenkovic
I also noticed a small sound decrement when turning on the boss TU2 for tuning. Maybe its just me..
Bogdan Radovic
This pedal is great for tuning on stage and I saw local bands using it..Though I'd rather use a tuner that is not in between my guitar and amp (for stronger signal)..Many amps have the tuner out on them..Also some pedals have the phones output which you can use also..

Great review man very informative I was myself thinking of buying this pedal earlier!
Muris Varajic
Bypass is usually "not" bypass so I suggest using output "output". wink.gif
erik
pics are fixed
Toni Suominen
Great review, this pedal sure is very popular! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.