Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
stratman33
If you havnt seen it, it's the best of the series so far IMO.And the videogame is also good.Great movie.
FretDancer69
Havent seen it yet! But i cant wait!!! ill probably will watch it today or tomorrow!
Kaneda
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Jul 15 2007, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you havnt seen it, it's the best of the series so far IMO.And the videogame is also good.Great movie.

Yeah, we went and saw it yesterday. smile.gif The Department of Mysteries couldn't help but disappoint a bit (leaving everything except the veil room and the prophecy room out), since it's probably the most mythically symbolic single location Rowling has written - and I wanted at least all the aspects of it. But oh well, the pacing was good, and a lot of it wouldn't work in the medium of film anyway. In and of themselves, the choices made in editing and script writing were perfect.

There were a few points I felt were too outspoken - specifically the meaning of the prophecy, and Luna's mention of "things appearing again, but not the way you expect them to" being too close to what she was indirectly talking about.

But yeah, good film - Radcliffe impressed me for once, even if he could have had even more of a tour de force, if the last scene with Dumbledore had been longer. Staunton as Umbridge was wonderful; Gambon as Dumbledore was better than before; Watson as Hermione was way better than in HP4. All the actors pretty much did great in this one. And the effects were great. Great design also on the Thestrals - wondering if McKean did that design, like the dementors for HP3.
steve25
Yeah i saw it good movie. I think they did miss out some vital parts but you can't have everything in there. Some scenes i did feel were perhaps a bit rushed though. But overall a pretty good movie i think probably the best one yet
FretDancer69
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jul 15 2007, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, we went and saw it yesterday. smile.gif The Department of Mysteries couldn't help but disappoint a bit (leaving everything except the veil room and the prophecy room out), since it's probably the most mythically symbolic single location Rowling has written - and I wanted at least all the aspects of it. But oh well, the pacing was good, and a lot of it wouldn't work in the medium of film anyway. In and of themselves, the choices made in editing and script writing were perfect.

There were a few points I felt were too outspoken - specifically the meaning of the prophecy, and Luna's mention of "things appearing again, but not the way you expect them to" being too close to what she was indirectly talking about.

But yeah, good film - Radcliffe impressed me for once, even if he could have had even more of a tour de force, if the last scene with Dumbledore had been longer. Staunton as Umbridge was wonderful; Gambon as Dumbledore was better than before; Watson as Hermione was way better than in HP4. All the actors pretty much did great in this one. And the effects were great. Great design also on the Thestrals - wondering if McKean did that design, like the dementors for HP3.

Kaneda have you read the book? have you seen the picture of the chapter when Umbridge is introduced? I have a teacher that is IDENTICAL as her!!! and she is mean too! tongue.gif
Kaneda
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 15 2007, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kaneda have you read the book? have you seen the picture of the chapter when Umbridge is introduced? I have a teacher that is IDENTICAL as her!!! and she is mean too! tongue.gif

I read the British versions, so no pictures.

Imelda Staunton in the film looks exactly like the Danish teacher I had in eighth grade (except my teacher was a bit uglier) - she speaks the same way she did too. And had the exact same sugar sweet facade and a very very mean personality underneath, which came to the surface a few times in public, but mostly when alone with a student (like me). tongue.gif

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention Emma Thompson, who is still amazing as Trelawney smile.gif And the girl playing Luna was a find! Could go on smile.gif
Asphyxia Feeling
i saw it at midnight when it came out smile.gif

pretty good... they did cut ALOT out. but, you can't make a movie that's 5 hours long, so i guess it's alright. they got all the really crucial info.
Pantalaimon
I just saw it today.

I have to say I liked the direction/cinematography a lot better in this one. I think all the actors were magnificent. What's funny is this: I hated the book...but I actually think this might be my favorite of the movies so far (except for perhaps the first one).

Overal a good flick.
FretDancer69
I just came 1 hour ago from the movies!!! This was a great movie! my favorite so far, all the actors and actresses did a great job playing each character! Cant wait to read the 7th book!
JOhn
Wasn't that good i think.
Hemlok
I am going to watch it tonight. I have read the books and so far the movies havn't done the books justice. Books are always better than the movies, because you can imagine it yourself and there is so much more detail in it. Either way I still enjoy watching the movies, but not more than once. I wont read the books more than once either, like some people do.

- Hemlok
FretDancer69
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 16 2007, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going to watch it tonight. I have read the books and so far the movies havn't done the books justice. Books are always better than the movies, because you can imagine it yourself and there is so much more detail in it. Either way I still enjoy watching the movies, but not more than once. I wont read the books more than once either, like some people do.

- Hemlok

I sometimes do ready them again, but probably after 7 months of reading it for the 1st time. Just to experience the adventure again biggrin.gif wink.gif
Hemlok
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 16 2007, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sometimes do ready them again, but probably after 7 months of reading it for the 1st time. Just to experience the adventure again biggrin.gif wink.gif

That is fair enough, I re-read other books. But when the movies came out they didnt paint the picture I had imagined when reading the book. It is obviously different for everyone. Trying to read the book again it just wasn't the same. Lost it's magic tongue.gif excuse the pun

- Hemlok
J.E.
I loved the movie of course it didnt have the same depth perception as in the book but it was good i would give it a 5+ but to take the movie in defence if they would have made the movie with almost every detail from the book it probably would have lasted 10 hours tongue.gif
AIB234
I saw it and loved it but I can't let it over-shadow booke 7s release in two days!!!
FretDancer69
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jul 19 2007, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw it and loved it but I can't let it over-shadow booke 7s release in two days!!!

yeah man!! cant wait!!! althought alot of bad things are gonna happen sad.gif
Pavel
Saw the movie yesterday. Didn't impress me to be honest! But bits and pieces of the movie were good!
Matt
i know their completely different movies, but i rekon transformers is better tongue.gif
Pavel
I love 1st and 2nd Potter movies, the 3rd was a bit crappy to me, didn't see 4th and now 5th was nothing special.
J.E.
i bought the book today it's lovely! i can't wait to find out what happends
btw i think the first movie is good the second i think was a blooper the third is godlike 4 is crappy with a nice ending and the fifth i founded amusing a bit dull but then again they can't put all the details from the book then it would have lasted for ages:P
AIB234
My book 7 will arrive between Mon-Thu... I can't wait.

I am not surfing ANY websites except for GMC until I have read it. I do not want to accidentally run across some spoilers, but it's killing me.

I really want to know... but not like that! I want my book... now!
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jul 22 2007, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not surfing ANY websites except for GMC until I have read it. I do not want to accidentally run across some spoilers, but it's killing me.

Yes, NO SPOILERS!!!! I Just got my book 7 smile.gif
rokchik
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jul 22 2007, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine is due around the same time AIB234...I can't wait!

I haven't seen the latest movie but will see next week when I'm back in civilization and at a real theater. (we are so behind in movies where I live, Live Free or Die Hard is playing now...saw it... was pleasantly surprised. Still not as good as original. Transformers is next weekend...can't wait)

But above all else I can't wait for The Simpson's movie. I'm seeing it next Tuesday....big screen Homer, Willy and Flanders it's gonna be awesome. I hope Ralph has some great lines too.
AIB234
My friend's sister found an online copy and I went to go search for it because I am so anxious, but quickly found a wikipedia up already about the whole book!

I clicked on it just to see the info it had and dang... I didn't dare scroll 1 line. So tempting... but must wait.

If you don't see me here for a few days, you know why smile.gif

I will not do anything once I get my book and it is read.
FretDancer69
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jul 22 2007, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend's sister found an online copy and I went to go search for it because I am so anxious, but quickly found a wikipedia up already about the whole book!

I clicked on it just to see the info it had and dang... I didn't dare scroll 1 line. So tempting... but must wait.

lol, well i isually read it at night, just before going to sleep, i like that way. So i can practice in the day and read at night!
Kaneda
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jul 22 2007, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While the seventh book is certainly suitable for re-reading (I'd say it's - possibly tied with two others - first place in my top 7 (or 9) of the Potter books), I think it's better to read it without knowing anything beforehand. Lots of twists and turns. smile.gif

I read it along with the girlfriend (which thankfully made it last "all the way" till Sunday morning), and we laughed and got tears in our eyes, and cheered in unison. smile.gif Once, I cheered at a rather inappropriate spot (apparently) - cheered for Rowling more than the characters - and got a hard punch of her fist right into the joint of my shoulder - hurt while playing guitar for a couple of days laugh.gif
AIB234
I got my copy Tuesday night and had finished it shortly after I got home from work on Wednesday. Needless to say I was dragging my butt at work all Wednesday due to late reading!

Spectacular book!

I just wish there had been more readings after the main plot was done, y'know?
FretDancer69
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jul 26 2007, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got my copy Tuesday night and had finished it shortly after I got home from work on Wednesday. Needless to say I was dragging my butt at work all Wednesday due to late reading!

Spectacular book!

I just wish there had been more readings after the main plot was done, y'know?

awesome man...i still dont know if the books have arrived yet here, but i want that book so bad!!!
AIB234
Haha... I forgot to mention:

I ordered it online from Amazon and it came in a special HP7 box when it was shipped that said, "ATTENTION MUGGLES: DO NOT OPEN UNTIL JULY 21, 2007!"

lol!
Hemlok
Got HP and the Deathly Hallows on Tuesday, finished it now. Easily the best book by far, for me. biggrin.gif Happy reading everyone.

- Hemlok
rokchik
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 27 2007, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got HP and the Deathly Hallows on Tuesday, finished it now. Easily the best book by far, for me. biggrin.gif Happy reading everyone.

- Hemlok

I recieved my copy on Tuesday and finished Wednesday afternoon. I agree Hemlok...it was the best book. Kinda sad there will be no more......
Hemlok
QUOTE (rokchik @ Jul 27 2007, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recieved my copy on Tuesday and finished Wednesday afternoon. I agree Hemlok...it was the best book. Kinda sad there will be no more......

Yep, but JK Rowling is an amazing writer, and anything she writes from this point onwards will sell. I can't wait to read whatever she has instore. Now that I have finished HP series, I will finish reading Room Full Of Mirrors - Jimi Hendrix Biography. (which I must add is a very good read)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.