Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ibanez 2550e
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
Pages: 1, 2
Haas1mj
Wiki link
bmh1109
Glad to see theres another satisfied Ibanez player. Your guitar looks awesome, hope you enjoy it.
BurzuM
Nice axe, it looks great! I'm very interested in getting this guitar soon, but would you by chance be able to take a few more pictures of it in the light so I can see how that pickguard looks? You say it's an eggplant color..?
Stratman58
Same here... I'd like more pictures and possibly a sound file of you playing it? biggrin.gif
Pavel
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Jul 19 2007, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad to see theres another satisfied Ibanez player. Your guitar looks awesome, hope you enjoy it.

Can there be an UN-satisfied Ibanez player? I think NOT! biggrin.gif

Ibanez is amazing!! smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 23 2007, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can there be an UN-satisfied Ibanez player?

Not possible ...
FretDancer69
awesome dude, this is what i needed. I want this guitar so bad, this one is a prestige model right? man i cant wait! Thanks for the great review dude!

also it would be cool if we could have some more pics tongue.gif
SLASH91
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 23 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
awesome dude, this is what i needed. I want this guitar so bad, this one is a prestige model right? man i cant wait! Thanks for the great review dude!

also it would be cool if we could have some more pics tongue.gif

I know dude...its torture waiting to get enough money sad.gif
Stratman58
Well I've narrowed down from about 3 Ibanez guitars and 1 schecter to to this Ibanez 2550e. However, I've never had an opportunity to play it. The closest guitar center for me is a full tank of gas away (an $80 trip), so I can't really go out of my way to try it. Also, I hear that Guitar Center makes you buy the Ibanez prestige case, unlike online stores where they ship it in one...

So if anyone would like to compare this guitar or any other prestige model to a Fender Stratocaster in terms of neck size, speed, action, and tone, it'd be much appreciated! smile.gif
RobM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Jul 24 2007, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I've narrowed down from about 3 Ibanez guitars and 1 schecter to to this Ibanez 2550e. However, I've never had an opportunity to play it. The closest guitar center for me is a full tank of gas away (an $80 trip), so I can't really go out of my way to try it. Also, I hear that Guitar Center makes you buy the Ibanez prestige case, unlike online stores where they ship it in one...

So if anyone would like to compare this guitar or any other prestige model to a Fender Stratocaster in terms of neck size, speed, action, and tone, it'd be much appreciated! smile.gif

I was recently told that Guitar Center is in real trouble financially and that they were recently bought by a large firm name behr or something like that? I was told that they got themselves into trouble by all of the sales that they "used" to have as in their famous white sale where every guitar in the place that was white was at 50% off or something rediqulous like that. Of course not crazy if you were there wanting to buy a US Start and got one for like $500.00 us, lol. But nuts if you're a business with a board of directors that needs to show a profit. I was also told that the service you get at the guitar center is lousy and you pay thru the nose for it.

Just passing on what i was told. please don't kill the messenger. smile.gif
timono
hey

just saw your topic and i deffinaitly agree!!!
on the advise of andrew and pavel i went looking for an ibanez rg prestige and this was the one i picked. i bought it 2 weeks ago and i hope you will be as happy with it as i am =P
FretDancer69
QUOTE (timono @ Jul 30 2007, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey

just saw your topic and i deffinaitly agree!!!
on the advise of andrew and pavel i went looking for an ibanez rg prestige and this was the one i picked. i bought it 2 weeks ago and i hope you will be as happy with it as i am =P

awesome dude. Cant wait for mine.... sad.gif and its not coming anywhere soon. sad.gif
Stratman58
Yeah seriously... no one has em!
timono
i was lucky with mine, went to the shop and asked for it (and some other ones ) and they got it! so i could take it with me cause i liked it most

=P
Pavel
You were lucky m8! I go into my store here, and can't even get a pack of strings i want! biggrin.gif
FretDancer69
hey i have a question:

Is this model (RG 2550e) always a Prestige Model, or are there 2 kinds of 2550e: Prestige and non-prestige?

unsure.gif
Haas1mj
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 31 2007, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey i have a question:

Is this model (RG 2550e) always a Prestige Model, or are there 2 kinds of 2550e: Prestige and non-prestige?

unsure.gif

I'm pretty sure it's always a Prestige
FretDancer69
oh, alright then, thanks alot.
Pavel
If the RG model has 4-digit number in it (like RG1527, RG2550, RG2228) than you can be sure it's prestige! smile.gif
FretDancer69
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 31 2007, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the RG model has 4-digit number in it (like RG1527, RG2550, RG2228) than you can be sure it's prestige! smile.gif

thats what i needed, thanks a bunch pavel! smile.gif
shredmandan
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 23 2007, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not possible ...

I beieve there can be.As for any brand guitar the under $200.00 Ibanez guitars wouldnt be anything i would like.I think there called gio models?I get your point though when paying a decent amount for an Ibanez you cant go wrong smile.gif They really know how to set up a guitar for shred and heavy music.

Great review man biggrin.gif
You decribed the guitar very well.I only wish i could just go buy one today. laugh.gif
Sergeant_Ant
ok, i have a 350ex, i was wondering what the difference is between that and a prestige model or a JEM, all i know is the pickups are better and the neck is a 5 piece while mine is a 3. what makes the 5 piece better? is the prestige worth the price? would you reccomend a RG prestige or a JEM?
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Sergeant_Ant @ Jul 31 2007, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok, i have a 350ex, i was wondering what the difference is between that and a prestige model or a JEM, all i know is the pickups are better and the neck is a 5 piece while mine is a 3. what makes the 5 piece better? is the prestige worth the price? would you reccomend a RG prestige or a JEM?

The prestige and Jem are very similar, the Jem is more expensive because of the name basically - of course I think it is worth it since I have one!
The Uncreator
I think the JEMS Neck alone justifies its price.....Its so Smooth, Fast, and just amazing.....God i want it so Bad...

I played one today in a music store by the way smile.gif
Guitar34
I have 1 almost exactly like it! they play nice
smile.gif
Pavel
QUOTE (Sergeant_Ant @ Aug 1 2007, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's also the quality and precision of crafting, better parts... like for example to make a JEM they spend 20 days (speaking for example - don't get me wrong - i have no idea how long does it take to make a guitar) and to make and RG they spend 12 days. Tuners on JEM and Prestige models are much better than on simple RG series, cheaper RGs use "Edge Pro II" bridge while Prestige and JEM has "Edge Pro".

Necks - although it may seem the necks are the same - they are not! Even Prestige vs. JEM neck is a big difference. It may be the same by dimensions (width, length, etc.) - but the quality of the neck is totally recognizable. I played my friends RG Prestige and when i went back to JEM it was a big difference.

As Andrew said - JEM sure takes some of the price because it's a signature guitar but it is still worth spending extra bucks smile.gif

It's almost as creating a custom guitar - when you create a custom guitar you build to the last detail, perfect. Well, consider JEM - Steve Vai's CUSTOM Ibanez - so it is perfect! smile.gif
Anomaly
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 1 2007, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Necks - although it may seem the necks are the same - they are not! Even Prestige vs. JEM neck is a big difference. It may be the same by dimensions (width, length, etc.) - but the quality of the neck is totally recognizable. I played my friends RG Prestige and when i went back to JEM it was a big difference.

Could you describe this big difference between the JEM and Prestige necks? Thanks!
Webside
hehe, im a glad ibanez user too. great review! It may be my next guitar thou
Otto
prestige necks are cool but lack soul imo , had a 2550 a year or so never got me into the right mood,
but hey hey hey its a fine guitar... I would go for a gibson or e fender
yiou will find out why smile.gif
Pavel
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Aug 2 2007, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could you describe this big difference between the JEM and Prestige necks? Thanks!

Can't explain it in words! You know not everything is a specification difference. JEM necks just have better feel, they are smoother, faster - even though they may be same by specs. but they are not same! You have to try it to get the difference!
The Uncreator
Basically when you play a JEM, your response is...

"so THIS Is why everyone likes it so much!" biggrin.gif

I think JEM's have the best necks ever.
Rockwouldbe
This is my guitar

and i Love it!!
ZakkWylde
QUOTE (Otto @ Aug 2 2007, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
prestige necks are cool but lack soul imo , had a 2550 a year or so never got me into the right mood,
but hey hey hey its a fine guitar... I would go for a gibson or e fender
yiou will find out why smile.gif

2nd that
Ibanez guitars have no soul. Everything on them is so perfect but they have no character, they sound like plastic!

1. Yes I played the 2550e AND the Jem on Quality Amps dry.gif
2. Yes everybody is going to hate me blink.gif
3. No I will not change my mind on the sound question mad.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 21 2007, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2nd that
Ibanez guitars have no soul. Everything on them is so perfect but they have no character, they sound like plastic!

1. Yes I played the 2550e AND the Jem on Quality Amps dry.gif
2. Yes everybody is going to hate me blink.gif
3. No I will not change my mind on the sound question mad.gif

Gee, looking at your Avatar I just can't figure out why you would like Gibson guitars laugh.gif

I wouldn't go as far as to say Ibanez have no soul, but I do agree that they don't have all the answers. As versatile as they are, sometimes you need a strat or a Les Paul. Although the Jem is my first guitar, I am keeping my strat and will add an LP at some stage smile.gif
Pavel
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 21 2007, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gee, looking at your Avatar I just can't figure out why you would like Gibson guitars laugh.gif

I wouldn't go as far as to say Ibanez have no soul, but I do agree that they don't have all the answers. As versatile as they are, sometimes you need a strat or a Les Paul. Although the Jem is my first guitar, I am keeping my strat and will add an LP at some stage smile.gif

Is that a smell of treason there? mad.gif laugh.gif

Ibanez - no soul? ... i better stay out of this or we can have a big fight going on biggrin.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 21 2007, 02:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that a smell of treason there? mad.gif laugh.gif

Ibanez - no soul? ... i better stay out of this or we can have a big fight going on biggrin.gif

Its ok Pavel, I was only saying that to trick him and try to seduce him to the dark side ... of COURSE Jem is the only 6 string guitar ever needed smile.gif
rokchik
I've been watching these Ibanez reviews pretty closely the last few days now that I've decided to surrender and join the dark side....it's kinda fun over here though I must say smile.gif

However I will always be a Gibson girl...I love my LP. It's my baby and it's been pretty good to me. That's why I bought it. For me Gibson will always be on top when it comes to guitars. (maybe I'm not on the dark side then...I'm sorta in guitar purgatory...fitting since I'm catholic smile.gif ) But there is just some things I still have trouble playing on it. (legato for example) and I blame this on the neck...right, wrong whatever that is my theory. (Also it was a great excuse on the boyfriend to get a second axe biggrin.gif ) So I decided to get a guitar with a slimmer neck. Since playing the Ibanez RG42FX I believe it was, I'm convinced that an Ibanez is what I'm looking for. I want a smooth fast neck attached to a not so heavy body....although anything will be light compared to my LP. I do have a few questions though:

1. How difficult is the Floyd rose system? (changing strings, general maintanence. That type of thing) It kind of intimidates me a bit to be honest but all the models that interest me have one. (with the exception of the Rg42FX)

2. Also with the FR how big of a difference...if any... is there to the sound?

3. What are the benifits to a through neck as apposed to a bolt on? not sure if there is any but that's why I'm asking.

I really liked this review of the 2550e and it is on my list as well as a few of the Prestige series. i decided to post this here as had a pretty good Ibanez discussion going.
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 21 2007, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been watching these Ibanez reviews pretty closely the last few days now that I've decided to surrender and join the dark side....it's kinda fun over here though I must say smile.gif

If you only knew the power of the dark side ...

1. How difficult is the Floyd rose system? (changing strings, general maintanence. That type of thing) It kind of intimidates me a bit to be honest but all the models that interest me have one. (with the exception of the Rg42FX)

It needs to be respected but with a few simple rules you can make it painless.

1. Make sure the shop sets it up for your brand and gauge of strings before they ship it or you pick it up (sweetwater did this for me for free!)

2. When Changing strings use the same brand and gauge - this means no real tremelo adjustment. If you do change strings, all bets are off, it sin;t hard to do but readjusting will be a time consuming circular chore.

3. When changing strings either just change one at a time, or wedge the tremelo with a block of wood or something

My first string change took me about 20 - 30 minutes as opposed to 10 - 15 on a regular guitar. I would expect to get it down to the same range using the one at a time method.

That's it really smile.gif

2. Also with the FR how big of a difference...if any... is there to the sound?

Between the same guitar with a fixed bridge? Don't know - but the floyd is a big part of the Ibanez appeal, you can learn lots of new tricks so I wouldn;t worry about it. I would say that regular tremelos can reduce sustain, but I don't know if that is true for Floyds, in any case my Jem has bags of sustain smile.gif

3. What are the benifits to a through neck as apposed to a bolt on? not sure if there is any but that's why I'm asking.

These days not a lot. A thru neck is supposed to help with sustain but these days set and bolt on necks are pretty good, and I don;t believe this is really a factor - I asked the same question and eventually discounted it as there was no clear gain for the price and people disagreed over whether it even helped.

So thats about it - go for it!
Pavel
Hehehe Welcome to dark side! We have cookies!! laugh.gif

Ibanez will soon offer Kris to sell GMC to them as this is the biggest collection of Ibanez fans in the world biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 21 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehehe Welcome to dark side! We have cookies!! laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Milk too? Is that the irght image for the Dark Side???
Pavel
That's the right image for the dark Side we endorse biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif JEMs, milk and cookies! laugh.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 21 2007, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's the right image for the dark Side we endorse biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif JEMs, milk and cookies! laugh.gif

Ok, got it smile.gif
rokchik
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 21 2007, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you only knew the power of the dark side ...
It needs to be respected but with a few simple rules you can make it painless.

1. Make sure the shop sets it up for your brand and gauge of strings before they ship it or you pick it up (sweetwater did this for me for free!)

2. When Changing strings use the same brand and gauge - this means no real tremelo adjustment. If you do change strings, all bets are off, it sin;t hard to do but readjusting will be a time consuming circular chore.

3. When changing strings either just change one at a time, or wedge the tremelo with a block of wood or something

My first string change took me about 20 - 30 minutes as opposed to 10 - 15 on a regular guitar. I would expect to get it down to the same range using the one at a time method.

That's it really smile.gif
Between the same guitar with a fixed bridge? Don't know - but the floyd is a big part of the Ibanez appeal, you can learn lots of new tricks so I wouldn;t worry about it. I would say that regular tremelos can reduce sustain, but I don't know if that is true for Floyds, in any case my Jem has bags of sustain smile.gif
These days not a lot. A thru neck is supposed to help with sustain but these days set and bolt on necks are pretty good, and I don;t believe this is really a factor - I asked the same question and eventually discounted it as there was no clear gain for the price and people disagreed over whether it even helped.

So thats about it - go for it!

Thanks for all the info Andrew smile.gif

I've narrowed my choices to the Prestige RG1570 and RG2550e. I have a price hunt going on right now for the best deal so we'll see which one wins out. Both these models have the edge pro so at least I don't have to cut anything. This has eased my tensions a bit...but I may have all kinds of questions later. I know there is some FR questions on the forum so I'll do a bit of hunting.

That's the right image for the dark Side we endorse JEMs, milk and cookies!

It just keeps getting better laugh.gif

Thanks again to Haas1mj and Stratman58 for their reviews of the above mentioned guitars. They helped me a lot when trying to choose. I'll let ya know which guitar I get.
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 22 2007, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the info Andrew smile.gif

I've narrowed my choices to the Prestige RG1570 and RG2550e.

Great Choice - 2550e was my pick before I decided to go for a Jem smile.gif
rokchik
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 22 2007, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great Choice - 2550e was my pick before I decided to go for a Jem smile.gif

Yeah it's a pretty sweet guitar. Haas1mj's review helped me a great deal.

There is only like $200.00 in the price difference (give or take) and that has to do with the different pick ups and probably a little bit on the inlays. But right now I think I'm gonna go with whichever one I get the better deal on. I can always upgrade later.
GodofFire16
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 21 2007, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've narrowed my choices to the Prestige RG1570 and RG2550e.

Me too! Do let us know once you've made your purchase cool.gif
Hemlok
Well I am thinking of an getting an ibanez, or a strat, dont know yet, perhaps i will buy both. But not until January next year, i have spent about $5000 on guitars this year
rokchik
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 22 2007, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I am thinking of an getting an ibanez, or a strat, dont know yet, perhaps i will buy both. But not until January next year, i have spent about $5000 on guitars this year

I went out specifically wanting a Strat and now I'm getting an Ibanez. I'll eventually get the Strat but the Ibanez is the better fit for what I want right now. I'm like you though...I've spent a lot of cash on guitar related items this year it's getting hard to justify spending more...to the boyfriend I mean...I'd keep spending if i could. biggrin.gif
BubbaJ
Can you buy a pickguard from an rg350ex and fit in this one or would that not work?

Thanks!
Zephyr
Ibanez JEMs AND cookies?! Goodbye, light side...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.