Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 10 Ways To Mic A Guitar Amp
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Mertay
I liked how he explains the effects of placements, remember you can do these with plug-ins too;

Todd Simpson
Mic placement seems to be a somewhat fading art which is too bad as it's a great way to learn about tone. I'd suggest every guitar player buy at least one decent amp, and one sm-57 with a mic stand and go through the ritual of moving the mic around and listening, moving again, listening more, and so on.

It will really help "train your ears" in terms of tone and what to expect when micing a real cab. Also, once you go in to the software world, and plugins, many guitar apps will let you move the mic around and having practice on the real thing will serve you well. I"m speaking generally here not directly to MERTAY, I know you already know how to mic a cab smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 28 2015, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked how he explains the effects of placements, remember you can do these with plug-ins too;

Mertay
smile.gif

Probably because of work, living in an apartment etc. its very rare I see guitar amps recorded at home. I also think this is probably linked if the player uses lots of distortion.

But on a different forum I notice this is a lesser issue for blues guys. Even though they have soundcards and know plug-ins, they can't let go of the real deal and try to isolate the room as much as possible.

I think this isn't only about tone, there is something more organic and fun to mic.ing cab.s although it may seem like a hassle specially for the younger generation.
Phil66
I want to look at putting a mic to my cab. I have a 4x8 and it sounds lovely but haven't a clue how to mic up to get the sound of the 4 cones rolleyes.gif

Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.