Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alex5's Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Gabriel Leopardi
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Alex! Welcome to your personal thread for Gab's Army, my mentoring program. Here I'll monitor your progress and help you choosing lessons and designing guitar routines to take your guitar playing to a new level.

I'll copy the info you've sent me to have it as reference.

I listen a lot of music : rock, metal, jazz, blues, brazillian music... I have 31, married with children I can't play guitar all day long but I can find a half hour or an hour per day to work my instrument.

My favorites artists are Timo Tolkki (Stratovarius), John 5, BB King, Eric Clapton, AC Jobim

About my guitar playing, I start playing many years ago but not seriously. I have a good level in harmony and music theory (I can analyze a song, I know chord substitution, jazz harmony...) , I know a lot of chords, modes and scales but I can't use it in my guitar playing because of my technical level.

I have basic difficulties and the main is rhythm. I can't feel it. I work with metronome but I don't make progresses. I work hard and forget to have fun.

I like improvisation. I'd like to play metal music, jazzy likes and latin music.

The first task on this thread is to learn and record a video playing my new Muse Goes Stoner lesson.
Alex5
Let's go ! tongue.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
yeah!! hehe keep me updated! wink.gif
Alex5
Hi,

The lesson is done. Just need to find time to make a reccord. I hope I can do this tomorrow night.
Gabriel Leopardi
Great! Thanks for the update mate. Looking forward your video.

Alex5

Here's my take1. I post it on the REC section too.
Gabriel Leopardi
Great! You have my feedback HERE.
Alex5
thanks for your feedback. I will work to correct it in the next take.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Alex5 @ Aug 14 2015, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for your feedback. I will work to correct it in the next take.

Great! wink.gif
Alex5
You didn't tell me if the tone I've chosen match for the lesson. I suppose it did ...

For my timing, I am aware of my problems but I think I have a little latency when I apply a VST on my clean record.
I'll post my clean record so you will can judge it.

But I know my timing is awful, it's not an excuse tongue.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
yes, your tone goes very well with this lesson. Also, your guitar looks great!

Maybe you could join this workout: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=54317
Alex5
My guitar is the John 5 Telecaster, it look amazing I know it tongue.gif

I'm going on holidays soon, I'll join the Timing workout when I'll back.
Gabriel Leopardi
Ah yeah, I know his model. Great one! Ok mate, have a good vacation, see you when you're back.

Alex5
I'm back smile.gif . I'll restart to work.
Gabriel Leopardi
Welcome back friend!
Alex5

Here's a new take.
I think it's a bit better. smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate, this still has important timing issues.

I recommend you two things:

- Work on each riff individually starting with the main riff, and practice using a slower backing track. Before you start playing the main riff, sing it over the backing, with your eyes closed, putting all your concentration on going tight with the backing. Once you can do it with your voice, try it with your guitar. Only the first riff. Record yourself and share it here.

I'll prepare two backings later. Both have the base for the main/first riff looped. The first one is at normal tempo, the other one is slower. Please practice and record yourself over these ones.

Click to view attachment

I'll be back with the slower version.

- Give a try to this workout: TIMING.

Alex5
I'll continue to work. I'll do what you told me : working each riff
Gabriel Leopardi
Great. Here you have a slower version of the looped backing for the intro riff.

Click to view attachment

There is a software called Amazing Slow Downer that is great for creating loops and slower versions. Check it out: http://www.ronimusic.com/amsldowin.htm
Alex5
I've downloaded all your links. Time to work now smile.gif
I've watched your timing workout but I'm not sure understanding what is expected...
Can you explain me ?

Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
You will find assignments that should be worked in order to polish your timing. You can start with the number 1, practice it for around 4 days, and share a take there or here to let me check it, give feedback and tell you if you are ready for the next one. It's a workout.

Does it make sense?

Alex5
It's very clear
Gabriel Leopardi
Great! Let me know how the practice goes.
Alex5
Here's some work I've done smile.gif

Muse main riff at 90

https://soundcloud.com/user-280506716/muse902

Another try of Muse complete
(I've done 6 records and play it at the same time they are strictly identicals,)
https://soundcloud.com/user-280506716/musecomp

Assignement 1 for timing workout
https://soundcloud.com/user-280506716/timingwork1

waiting for your feedback.

If I do timing mistakes can you tell me what is it ?
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate, thanks for the audios. These samples show that you need some hard work on timing. The first audio from Muse is not tight, and you can notice by comparing what you play with the bass guitar. You are not going unison in the whole first part. However, the last seconds sound much better than the first ones, so it seems that you get more comfortable close to the end. This means that you can play it, but you are not understanding it yet. You need to hear more, even without playing, sing along with the backing, and close your eyes, feel the groove.

Something similar happens with the timing workout, the first part until the "chorus" is not going even with the beat, but the last seconds go tight. Please listen to your recording and let me know if you note what I'm saying.

Alex5
I note your feedback...
I've a lot of difficulty to feel the groove, so in my guitar playing I use too much my brain instead of feel the groove. I get 80% of my attention to think instead of playing.

I know that, timing is my priority. I will work hard to succeed
Alex5
I have a difficulty with the ACDC BT. At the begining, there is a 1 2 3 4 without guitar then, the guitar play. Is the guitar playing at 1 (2nd bar) or 4 and half (1st bar) ?
Gabriel Leopardi
No, it's not, it's playing a bit before the beat (one 8th note), that's what makes everything a bit more difficult. You need to mark the beat by yourself with your foot. Are you tapping with your foot while playing?
Alex5
I do but I have difficulties staying regular. It's easier for me to do et with a métronome. Over a BT my ear ils distracted ans I lose the béat.
Alex5
Hey ! Here's some new takes !

Timing work out 1
(I don't know what I've done with this track, There is few minutes of nothing at the begining ... rolleyes.gif )
https://soundcloud.com/user-280506716/acdc2

Muse 90
https://soundcloud.com/user-280506716/muse902nd

Muse complete
https://soundcloud.com/user-280506716/musecomp2
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Alex!! Congrats on your work! Your timing is improving so you are on the right with this practice! smile.gif

The timing assignment sounds good so you could start with the number 2. Muse's looped riff is getting better but it needs more work yet, as well as the complete take. Please keep on working on this during this new week.

When practicing Muse's riff, try to avoid notes from the riff being muted too soon to make the riff sound smoother. Try to make the silences between notes much shorter.

Keep on rocking!
Alex5
Thanks for your feedback. For my timing progresses, there ils another reason I have discover that my device wasn't configurated correctly on reaper. So i've set the asio4all plugins and m'y timing becomes better immediatly .
I can work in the best conditions now.

Gabriel Leopardi
Ah! That's great! So you were having "latency" issues. It's impossible to play tight when this happens. Great to know that you've discovered this and solved! Has it disappeared?
Alex5
Completly disappeared smile.gif

I knew my timing couldn't be awful at it's point biggrin.gif

Seriously, before this set up I was disappointed each time I listened my records.
Now, I know my playing isn't awesome but when I listen my record I ear what I have feeled during the recording...

Sorry, my ideas could be not very clear but I've difficulties to speak well english..
Gabriel Leopardi
It's totally clear, don't worry. wink.gif

So well, these are really good news! I was a bit worried about your timing mate... smile.gif
Alex5
Here's a new take on video

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Alex!! Great to find this video. This is a lot much better! Your timing is close to be totally tight. The main riff still shows some room to go tighter with the drum and bass backing, you're close but if you pay special attention you'll notice that it's not totally regular. Tapping with your foot while playing can help to adjust this issue.

Another thing that you could improve on this one is dynamics. You are playing every note with the same intensity, while the lesson requires some dynamics works, mostly accentuating the parts of the riff that go with the beat. Pay attention to my left hand work on main video and you'll see what I mean.

Congrats on the good job!
Alex5
I have watched again your vidéo and I see what you mean.
I'll work on dynamics !
Gabriel Leopardi
Perfect! wink.gif
Alex5
Here's and new take. I think it's more dynamic, isn't it ?

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Alex,

I can note that your playing starts to have more dynamics but it's not natural and connected with the backing yet. You need to continue practicing this lesson. I also note that the main riff is not sounding tight yet, you also need to continue focusing on timing. The problem is much smaller than the first videos but you still need to adjust it.

Maybe using the loop that I've sent can help with both dynamics and timing.

Do you note the timing issues on this video?
Alex5
Hey !

I list en the timing issues. I was tired on this take and focused on dynamic. And my wife was coming to bawl at me because Idisconforted her movie watching tapping the tempo with my foot. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I knew it wasn't the take of the year biggrin.gif.
My playing dont look natural yet I need a lot of concentration to play.

I 'LL do another take in better conditions.
Alex5
Maybe using the loop that I've sent can help with both dynamics and timing.

I use it to work !

I'd like to have your opinion about 2 points :

First, I feel more comfortable using classical position to play guitar. I force myself using folk position to do records but I'm not feeling as well as classical.
Is classical possition good to play electric guitar ? My takes are better when I use it.

Secondly, at the moment, I focus myself working the lesson Muse goes stoner, and timing workout assignements. I'm asking myself working another lesson as the same time to avoid being bored by it. What are you thinking about that ? Do you have a lesson to advice me ?

Here's a new take correcting some timing issues

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Alex,

Your timing is a bit better on this new video so you are on the right track with your practice. About the posture, the classical position is really comfortable and effective for playing guitar, the main difference is how it looks. It looks more "formal" and less "cool" for playing rock. This can be a very personal opinion, but when I see a rock player using this position I see him as a player more focused on technique than feeling. But once again, this is a VERY subjective opinion. If this is not a problem or anything that matters to you, you can go for it.

About starting with a new lesson, yes! it's a great idea. What about this one?

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/BB-King-Blues/

Alex5
I dont care looking less cool if I can sounding more good. So i'll keep classical posture for the moment. Nice lesson you suggest to me. I have already bookmarked it. Great challenge, looking a bit difficult at first view. I'll work on it and finish the Muse one.

Keep rockin'
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Alex5 @ Sep 7 2015, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont care looking less cool if I can sounding more good. So i'll keep classical posture for the moment. Nice lesson you suggest to me. I have already bookmarked it. Great challenge, looking a bit difficult at first view. I'll work on it and finish the Muse one.

Keep rockin'

Good plan! wink.gif
Alex5
I've made a new take of Muse lesson (actually I've made 3)
I submit it to your judgement.

Finally I use the folk position, I will try to gain comfort with it.

I've started BB King lesson, so hard...
I started with the 4 first bars..
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Alex, the lesson still has timing issues. You are having problems with this rhythm pattern:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This patterns appears all the time in the lesson and you are not playing it tight so it would be a good idea to hear you practicing the pattern over a drum loop or metronome, playing the same note but totally focused on playing it tight.

Please do it for 3 days, 3 blocks of 10 minutes, and share a video.

Alex5
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 9 2015, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Alex, the lesson still has timing issues. You are having problems with this rhythm pattern:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This patterns appears all the time in the lesson and you are not playing it tight so it would be a good idea to hear you practicing the pattern over a drum loop or metronome, playing the same note but totally focused on playing it tight.

Please do it for 3 days, 3 blocks of 10 minutes, and share a video.

OK I'll work on it
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Alex5 @ Sep 9 2015, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK I'll work on it

Great! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.