Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Equalization For The Complete Beginner
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Chris S.
Hey guys!

So I'm slowly learning how to become better at mixing, and one area that I struggled with was proper equalization. I came across this video and free PDF file and it has really simplified everything down and made it a lot easier to understand - hopefully this will help someone else:

It's a 4-Part tutorial:

and the PDF - the last page is super helpful as a rough guideline of what frequencies compliment particular instruments:

Click to view attachment

Hope it helps someone else out as much as it has me biggrin.gif
Mertay
Cool smile.gif

One advice though, experience and "toying" with eq plug-ins is really a key to learning eq. Simply have fun with it, either use an entire track or specific recordings of solo instruments it really doesn't matter.

I remember stricking to a specific eq plug-in and did all my experimenting with it. What helped was after a while the visual representation helped me memorise the freq.s by ear in time. I think it was the waves renaissance eq;

Doesn't matter what eq though cause they all look like this anyway nowadays. This adapts to everything and important to have the discipline of thought when learning mixing.

The freq. charts are nice when learning, but don't depend on them when working. Like; after a short while you will automatically feel the range limit of a track and start using the eq in proper ranges anyway. Again, have fun smile.gif
Chris S.
Solid advice Mertay biggrin.gif

I've been mostly using it as a rough guideline to basically "lay down the foundation" and once I have a solid foundation I start to move frequencies, change values and what not to shape it by ear - so it's kind of the best of both worlds for now tongue.gif
Todd Simpson
Very spiff vid! The entire series is really quite good. Thanks for the share!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.