Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal Songwriting Tips!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Kristofer Dahl
Kristofer Dahl
Recently I have been trying to get back into songwriting. And while doing so, I also try to share the process with fellow youtubers.

So at the end of these three videos, there is an analysis of things that went through my head when writing the riffs/lyrics/arrangements.

If you like this kind of stuff I hope you will join me in my Sunday video chats!
Chris S.
Your legato is wicked, man!

Catchy tunes as always - keep em comin biggrin.gif

EDIT:

Is there a download for the Industrial Track? I could definitely jam to this in my car on my way to work anyday happy.gif
Kristofer Dahl
Thanks a million Chris! biggrin.gif

You can download that track here:
https://soundcloud.com/kristoferdahl/master-of-pain
bleez
interesting videos, Kris. you have some really cool grooves in your songs. Im always writing riffs and bits of songs but rarely get one properly finished. I always tend to lose it and end up with half a song I like and half that I hate then scrap it rolleyes.gif Its good to watch these videos and get a look at your thought process though, cheers.

also, I just saw your video for 'A loner' on youtube, I'd never seen it before. I watched it about 3 times in a row and was mesmerized by your dancing biggrin.gif besides that, the song, is freakin awesome. really excellent vocal as well.
Kristofer Dahl
Thanks so much man! cool.gif

The way I look at it - is that the tricky part is writing a verse and chorus that work together, when you got that you need to find a catchy intro so you don't loose the listener in the beginning (several of my intros in this thread are weak imo).

So if you can come up with a strong verse + chorus then you know you have got a song, the rest requires work but should be doable.

PS Are you joining my livestream today? smile.gif
bleez
I really like the song structure of early black sabbath or the newer Mastodon stuff. I try to follow a similar style with 'varying' success wink.gif

I should be able to catch the livestream today, I except to be home by then. smile.gif
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 15 2016, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really like the song structure of early black sabbath or the newer Mastodon stuff. I try to follow a similar style with 'varying' success wink.gif

I should be able to catch the livestream today, I except to be home by then. smile.gif

I haven't listened that much to those - I am however a huge fan Dio's black Sabbath work (Dehumanizer).

Awesome - catch you later then! biggrin.gif
Todd Simpson
These are a GREAT series of vids. I'm going to ask fran to make a section in the wiki!!!!
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 22 2015, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Recently I have been trying to get back into songwriting. And while doing so, I also try to share the process with fellow youtubers.

So at the end of these three videos, there is an analysis of things that went through my head when writing the riffs/lyrics/arrangements.

If you like this kind of stuff I hope you will join me in my Sunday video chats!
Kristofer Dahl
Thanks for the bump Todd, gave me lots of listening pleasure! 😁
Todd Simpson
It's well earned!! I had this on loop for quite a while!!
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 19 2019, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the bump Todd, gave me lots of listening pleasure! 😁
Kristofer Dahl
Thanks Todd - warms my heart 🙏❤️
Fran
Ande here it is! I'll find a suitable spot on the wiki front page soon cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.