Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Morris Mg-150
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Hungus
Hey guys this is only my 2nd post but I have been browsing these forums for awhile now so I know how knowledgable you all are so I wanted to ask you a question about my guitar. My dad just recently gave me his old Morris MG-150 acoustic guitar which he bought second hand about 12 years ago so im not really sure exactly how old it is. The problem with it is that it has a loose neck joint and needs to be taken off and reset I think.. it was my old man who took it into the shop so I dont know exactly the details but thats what he just told me. The problem for me is that it is going to cost me around 300 NZD which is a fair bit of money for me..

What I am really wanting to know from you guys is if you think it would be worth it to spend that much to get it fixed. What are the quallity of these guitars like? I tryed to do abit of a search for them on google but I never found this model.

I have also taken a couple of (poor quallity) pictures of it.. they would be better but I have an average camera and I couldnt get decent lighting.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cheers in advance for the help
Saoirse O'Shea
Afraid I've never heard of the make. However the inlays, headstock, bindings, woods etc look good quality. Internal construction bracing looks neat (I'm assuming the gray stuff is dirt or something rather than sloppy gluing.) Note though its not easy to tell these from photos and also I'm definitely no expert here.

Is it worth 300NZD to reset the neck? I'd say yes, I very much doubt that you'd get a new acoustic that was as well finished and with abalone inlays, woods and stuff for close to that (think you'd be quite a bit over 1000NZD especially allowing for inport costs). A good acoustic guitar gets better with age so the tone on this should have aged nicely. Lastly - and unquantifiable - the history and personal attachment.

Cheers,
Tony
Hungus
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 24 2007, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Afraid I've never heard of the make. However the inlays, headstock, bindings, woods etc look good quality. Internal construction bracing looks neat (I'm assuming the gray stuff is dirt or something rather than sloppy gluing.) Note though its not easy to tell these from photos and also I'm definitely no expert here.

Is it worth 300NZD to reset the neck? I'd say yes, I very much doubt that you'd get a new acoustic that was as well finished and with abalone inlays, woods and stuff for close to that (think you'd be quite a bit over 1000NZD especially allowing for inport costs). A good acoustic guitar gets better with age so the tone on this should have aged nicely. Lastly - and unquantifiable - the history and personal attachment.

Cheers,
Tony

Yhea sorry that grey stuff is just dust.. it has been sitting around for quite some time now. Also I havent really had much experience at all with guitars but this one deffinitly does have alot more detail on it than other guitars I have seen... like that line along the back of the body has alot more detail than actually shows up in the picture and the paua inlays look very nice with good lighting.. theres also pieces of paua on the pegs that hold the strings in aswell. I wasnt really thinking of getting rid of it because thats not an option for me as my dad said when I started learning guitar that I could have it if I get it fixed, so if I dont get it fixed its not mine to do anything with.
Saoirse O'Shea
Just a thought Hungus - wonder if Morris was a NZ custom shop/luthier that did one offs/small runs?

You might be able to get some history on it if there are any good local guitar shops, especially if it's a NZ/Aussie make... Else you could try contacting Hanks Guitars in London UK (sorry don't have contact details) who usually are good on acoustic guitars of all sorts.

Cheers,
Tony
Hungus
Mr. Morris was actually Japanese and this guitar was made in japan. There is a website but the english version doesnt seem to be working at the moment... I didnt really find it that helpful anyway though.
Saoirse O'Shea
Found the following links for you:

Artisan guitars

and

info

Also

Morris acoustics catalogue

One thing - you have to register on the site to view the catalogue. I haven't as I hate sites like that (don't want my email box filling up...)

Cheers,
Tony
Hungus
Cool cheers Tony... I actually found that VintAxe site the otherday and thought exactly the same thing as you.....

Edit:

Im taking the guitar into a shop on friday aswell so hopefuly they will be able share some information with me also.

Edit2:

I also noticed that pretty much all the websites only have the S series execpt for this one asian one (cant remember it, but it couldnt be translated) which had a couple of different series but there was no MG.
Saoirse O'Shea
Pleasure Hungus. Definately looks like a class guitar.

Cheers,
Tony
Hungus
Yhea I just wish I could play it with some class haha

God im doing alot of edits today.... I just noticed the price tags on those guitars and they are pretty damn expensive! I just hope mine is worth something like that even though its a different series haha
Hungus
So I took the guitar into town today to get it checked out.... the guy was kinda all over the place at 1st and said that to get something about the same today would cost around 300 bucks. Abit later he got his mirror stick thing out and a torch and had a good suss of it inside and out. He says its extremely good quality, the top and bridge are great and the sides and back are solid rosewood, not veneer. Eventually in the end he ended up saying it was actually a great guitar and after the repairs he would value it somewhere around the 3500 mark which put a huge grin on my face cause I got it for free haha.... not that I would ever sell it though but it makes me feel great that my 1st acoustic is of such high quallity.
Saoirse O'Shea
Nice one Hungus biggrin.gif .

Cheers,
Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.