Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spontaneous Ngd
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Phil66
Took my Peavey Telecaster style guitar in for a saddle change, fret dress and setup and couldn't resist this little baby. Countryman Pro resonator. It's pretty much the same as many of these things that get made and badged in the same factory but, I've wanted something like this since I bought Brothers In Arms ( but never got round to getting one. He had two pre-owned in, had to have it smile.gif

The real deal on the cover is a 1937 National Style 0 Resonator with palm tree etchings but this will do me wink.gif

Mertay
What a surprise biggrin.gif I never played one, spend some time and tell us your experience smile.gif
bleez
cool biggrin.gif never played one either but I'd like to try one. Respect for the Spontaneous NGD, that is awesome! cant wait to hear it action, duder.
was the wife as impressed with it cool.gif
Phil66
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 25 2016, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool biggrin.gif never played one either but I'd like to try one. Respect for the Spontaneous NGD, that is awesome! cant wait to hear it action, duder.
was the wife as impressed with it cool.gif

Yeah she loved it, especially when i showed her where it's going on the wall in a horizontal position rather than hanging vertically like all of the others. I'd like to get my friend to paint a Mississippi Delta mural on the wall behind it showing a bluesman playing on his porch a sepia colour scheme smile.gif

Storm Linnebjerg
Congratulations on the new guitar, Phil. I've never tried one of those smile.gif
klasaine
Cool!
Now you need one of these ...

Click to view attachment

Phil66
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 26 2016, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool!

Click to view attachment

Yeah I know, thanks Ken, I've got one and man it's a bitch to get a tone. Played some basic 12 bar on it and it is lovely, got that almost bango twang to it. It will be more of an eye candy piece really but I will have a dabble wink.gif
fkalich
I was trying to figure out what the difference is between your resonator and mine. I have an old beat up Dobro brand, which I think is cool because these should be beat up. My resonator is a big aluminum cone with a wooded bridge sitting on top of it.

There is a lesson here called "Saturated Slide" where one of these is played.

And here you go, you don't have to play slide with these, I always liked this song, Taj Mahal "Fishing Blues"

Phil66
Thanks for that tune, nice one. It's a whole different ball game playing one of these smile.gif
jstcrsn
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 26 2016, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool!

Click to view attachment

he needs matching chrome mufflers huh.gif
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 27 2016, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
he needs matching chrome mufflers huh.gif

Hahahahaha!!!!

Congrats Phil, I have an Ozark Reso but it's the slim bodied model and doesn't quite have the full sound. Fortunately it's an Electro and doesn't sound too bad plugged in!
Chris Harrington
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 25 2016, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Took my Peavey Telecaster style guitar in for a saddle change, fret dress and setup and couldn't resist this little baby. Countryman Pro resonator. It's pretty much the same as many of these things that get made and badged in the same factory but, I've wanted something like this since I bought Brothers In Arms ( but never got round to getting one. He had two pre-owned in, had to have it smile.gif

The real deal on the cover is a 1937 National Style 0 Resonator with palm tree etchings but this will do me wink.gif

Nice job picking this one up! I Love resonators, i've played a few hybrid woo/metal bodied ones but nothing beats the all metal body like yours. its got me thinking about writing a lesson regarding beginner slide and proper techniques to get the best out of one....

Chris biggrin.gif
Phil66
That would be a great lesson Chris smile.gif
Roadside
Never seen this kind. Would you mind uploading a demo, Phil? (:
AK Rich
Very nice, Phil! wub.gif I have been on the verge of impulse buying one of those myself on many occasions. One of these days I won't be able to resist.
Time to explore some alternate/open tunings? Might I suggest "When The Levee Breaks" as an easy one to start with? I bet it would sound good on that resonator. smile.gif The tuning is F A C F A C but you don't need to use the 2 bottom (lowest) strings (normally E and A.)
This tab is pretty good but use your ears as well.

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zepp...ks_ver3_tab.htm
Phil66
QUOTE (Roadside @ Aug 27 2016, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never seen this kind. Would you mind uploading a demo, Phil? (:

I'm not really confident that I could do it justice mate. It takes a certain kind of playing and I can't do it at the moment.

Sorry

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Aug 27 2016, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice, Phil! wub.gif I have been on the verge of impulse buying one of those myself on many occasions. One of these days I won't be able to resist.
Time to explore some alternate/open tunings? Might I suggest "When The Levee Breaks" as an easy one to start with? I bet it would sound good on that resonator. smile.gif The tuning is F A C F A C but you don't need to use the 2 bottom (lowest) strings (normally E and A.)
This tab is pretty good but use your ears as well.

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zepp...ks_ver3_tab.htm

Thanks buddy,

I'll give it a go and then maybe try to post a demo.

Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.