Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's The Best Way?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Phil66
Hello folks,

Ok, I have my laptop and PC. I have everything I need running from a powered USB hub. At the moment I'm connecting the hub to each one as I need to use it which is going to be a ball ache. What is the best way to be able to switch from one to the other?

For reference, my audio interface, Helix LT and my Logitech Unifier (This is a little dongle that detects both my mouse and keyboard) are plugged into the hub. The main USB cable is the one I am having to swap.

I know there is probably a simple solution but I'm a muppet with connecting things together laugh.gif

Cheers
Mertay
I'm not really sure about using a usb hub.

For keyboard, mouse or maybe a backup drive (used once in a while) is ok as they don't send much info but any device more complex/sending more data might be a problem. It might introduce extra latency, gliches in audio playback or recording.
Phil66
I've always had my fx and Scarlett on the hub mate, works lovely. Only difference is I now have the unifier in the hub too. I can't really put one in each computer because the time both computers are such on it will cause issues.

I basically want something like a usb switchover box if they make such a thing smile.gif

Cheers

Found it smile.gif I didn't know what to search for really but I think this will be perfect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-One-Butto...s/dp/B006Z0Q2SI

Todd Simpson
That will do it smile.gif There are many freeware screen sharing programs as well. So that you can have both machines going at once. if you have two monitors, you could have one on each screen and control both with a single mouse/keyboard. This functionality is built in to the mac os as "screen sharing" but I'm sure there is a windows version of this kind of thing.

I've done this myself to connect two laptops and render/bounce on one while still tracking on the other one. Very handy smile.gif
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 23 2017, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always had my fx and Scarlett on the hub mate, works lovely. Only difference is I now have the unifier in the hub too. I can't really put one in each computer because the time both computers are such on it will cause issues.

I basically want something like a usb switchover box if they make such a thing smile.gif

Cheers

Found it smile.gif I didn't know what to search for really but I think this will be perfect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-One-Butto...s/dp/B006Z0Q2SI

Phil66
Yeah,

At this moment in time I have my laptop on the shelf above my main monitor and I'm basically using the USB switcher as a KVM switch without the V wink.gif

When I start recording I'll shut down the main PC and use both screens in extended mode so Reaper will be on one screen (Laptop as there isn't much text to see) and the Helix editor will be on the main 23" Asus screen. Job's a good 'un smile.gif
Todd Simpson
Gotcha smile.gif I did the same thing with a KVM a long time ago when I actually still had a windows machine.

What are you using on the desktop that you need to go back for? is it data you can just move? Or going back for game play cause the desktop has a bigger vid card or something?

I think you'll dig having reaper on two screens smile.gif When I was using computer monitors, Pre Hdtv, I loved working "Dual Head" one screen just never seemed like enough. At one point I had a triple head system. Lots of head turning involved in that though smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 26 2017, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah,

At this moment in time I have my laptop on the shelf above my main monitor and I'm basically using the USB switcher as a KVM switch without the V wink.gif

When I start recording I'll shut down the main PC and use both screens in extended mode so Reaper will be on one screen (Laptop as there isn't much text to see) and the Helix editor will be on the main 23" Asus screen. Job's a good 'un smile.gif
Phil66
Yeah I think I'll end up with THIS

smile.gif
Todd Simpson
That would do the trick smile.gif But for that kind of money, I'd still suggest a 2013-2016 macbook pro quad i7 with 16gb ram and 1tb ssd drive running LOGIC PRO X. Logic is one of the only reasons to buy a mac IMHO. I'm all for reaper, but logic has so much built in from go that it's like buying thousands of dollars worth of plugins and vsts/instruments/samples. It just all comes with it and it costs a couple hundred bucks. So it's the best deal going IMHO.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 26 2017, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I think I'll end up with THIS

smile.gif
Mertay
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 26 2017, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds good to me smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.