Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tested Mxr Pedals+boss Katana
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Mertay
Mxr superbadass

Lots of rave reviews on this one but we really couldn't get it sound to what we wanted. The drive, eq's are cool but these's something about the voicing that prevented us from nailing the sound, tried it with both a mesa and a fender amp. the treble eq is pretty much a typical tone control while the mid eq is very strong. Decreasing the mid.s has a similar vibe to a mesa markV channel 2, when dialing t feels great but when jamming as said something just didn't feel right.

I'd consider it as a very nice and versatile booster but definitly not a amp-in-a-box pedal.

MXR EVH 5150

I was afreaid it was a 1 trick pony and that turned out to be true. Don't expect much use of low gain adjustment and the eq's are there for a more dialed to 11 vibe rather than smooth or transforming things.

But its still a nice sound. It can't get to supermodern-shredder tone or even gain but that amp-like EVH sound is there. I really liked EVH signature pedals till now, this one is also cool but wouldn't suggest buying without demoing.

Boss Katana 100

Now this is really as good as they say. While most digital amps try replicating all amps, the katana focuses on marshall-esq vibe with its own character.

The digital aspect is definitly from the GT range fx but even the haters would admit in use/reality its different. What not to expect is that tone-in-fingers thing. Its definitly masked compared to a real amp but the reflected sound is still o be liked. I can easily suggest this amp to begnners to professionals definitly worth spending some time (preferable at a friends place rather than a store).

Also, what I demoed was sold as V.2. Some say its a great improvement compared to v.1 but I didn2t have a chance to properly demo back when they were new.

Mertay
Update, I have the superbadass now and tried it in my setup.

Pretty much felt the same as I wrote before. They've made something very versatile but not the best of anything smile.gif I do recommend it for someone who's going to discover the world of pedals, it would be a very good starting point.

I did like it setuped like an OD (gain at 10-11 o'clock), my ehx sounds smoother but I might place it right between my ehx and metalzone. Either to be boosted my the glove or will be boosting my mt-2. Might buy it if offered a good price, we'll see...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.