Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropped C Riffing
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > REC
Siinthd
Original lesson: Dropped C Riffing by Gabriel Leopardi

my first experience of recording guitar and video recording.
equipment:
Ltd H-1007
focusrite scarlett 2i4
record with Grind Machine II - Audio Assault

My first download in principle. I tried to repeat the tone as closely as possible to the original.

Darius Wave
Hey there!

You got really close with the tone. I leave some headroom for the fact that this lesson is quite old and audio included in original video is being highly compressed - we will never know how much of treble there actually was in that recording - compression took the high frequencies away. Still I guess it could be really close to how you sound in this take.

You're close with your double-tracking but just to be clear - it can be even more precise. Perfect double tracking sounds like one guitar playing but having sort of "juicy-er" low mids and wider stage placement. The target is to actually make the listener not capture that there were two guitar recorded smile.gif But...I'm just complaining because I'm sure you're at the level we can start to demand this for the sake of your future skills developement.

If any issue should be spotted as general thourgh all the take, it would be most likely the timing - you tend to rush. You do it equally for both guitar tracks so it coudl seem that it's all ok but keep in mind to capture it next time.

I have a feeling that in the left panned guitar there are little pitch issues on the melody part.

I wondering about your right hand. I do not spot this as and issue because it's a subjective thing. For me it's slightly to low (it's resting point on the bridge) I'm not sure how does it affect the range of wrist motion. Maybe it will come out as an issue at some other lesson you'll go though but...maybe it never will becasue you master thikgn the way you do now. I'm just putting a thing to carefully look at if any stuff will make you trouble playing.
Kristofer Dahl
Nice!

I would like to hear a bit more articulation/note separation - or to be more scientific: we need more "chugga chugga".

I can't tell whether it's your two guitar recordings that aren't tight enough, and/or if your right hand movement itself needs more practice.

The idea is to play the riffs super slow and make sure the palms are being hit hard and controlled, and that the unmuted notes are allowed to ring the way they should. All this while your hands are super relaxed.

This is a very musical take to my years - you get a 7 from me!
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi friend!

It's really cool to find this lesson here! smile.gif

There are many strong points in this take. You can play the whole thing clean, at tempo, without any dramatic issue. The things that can be improved are details but that are essential to take your playing to a new level.

At first, there is some room to make everything sound more precise and tighter. The notes, the riffs, the chords, are all there, but now it's time to put focus on the sound of each details, the tone of each palm muted downstroke, the faster parts, the articulation and the connection between riffs.

I think that the key word here is "Articulation". I feel that sometimes the notes don't sound as much time as they should, and this is because you are hurried and anxious to play the next note. As this is a fast rhythm lesson, I'm being exagerated by saying "anxious" or "hurried" but I hope that you can get what I mean.

My suggestion is to keep on practicing this one, and dedicate some time to compare these details between this take and the original.

It's a 7 for me, congrats!
Fran
Pass: 7
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.