Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Future Of Shredding
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Gabriel Leopardi

This video is very cool. Please watch it, and let me know what are your thoughts about the final question made by Rick at 08:21. Let's talk about this. smile.gif
Kristofer Dahl
I guess the question is if we think there will new mainstream- AS WELL AS guitar based acts, and YES I certainly do! biggrin.gif
yoncopin
Even outside of music, the notion of mega-branded mainstream domination is fading. Everything seems to be a niche now, I don't see why guitar would be any different. Popular music will continue to cycle through new styles and rehash old ones, and there will continue to be new acts, but few with real staying power. Given how hard it is to sell music, I think he's right on about players marketing themselves and looking for other ways to make a living, which is currently Youtube and Instagram. As a consumer of guitar related content, it's a golden age, there's so much interesting stuff out there to watch, listen and learn from. I'm just glad I'm not trying to make a living from it.
klasaine
Yes and no. Or, both at the same time.

In the case of Guthrie Govan, he didn't just come from nowhere. He was in a ton of mid level UK prog bands in the 90s and in 2001 he joined "Asia" for 3 records and 3 world tours. That led to a lot of gigs, both live and recording, albeit with again less popular but working bands eventually leading him to Steven Wilson - who is pretty huge by prog and art rock standards.

Mateus Asato on the other hand is almost exclusively a social media phenom.

I live in los angeles and I'm 56 years old. We all knew about Van Halen (out here) before that first album. Same for Vai (because of Zappa) and Satch (in SF). Eric Johnson was on Christopher Cross and Carole King records pre his solo career. SRV - David Bowie's 'Let's Dance'. There was still the 'Van Halen Effect' (WTF is he doing!) but he didn't just appear from the ether. At the same time out here, as in any medium to large metropolis there are always tons of great players that don't make it or the general populous never hears about (for a million reasons). Every night of the week I could take you to a club or a bar where you'd see and hear players that would absolutely blow your mind - in many different styles. It's no different in any decent sized city (as well as many rural places) in any country in the world. It's all about who and what you're paying attention to. You gotta look. As ubiquitous as it is, social media is just one of the avenues.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 8 2018, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a consumer of guitar related content, it's a golden age, there's so much interesting stuff out there to watch, listen and learn from. I'm just glad I'm not trying to make a living from it.

I have the same feeling. I'm really excited about guitar and music related things happening nowadays. Instagram and Youtube are full of amazing things to wacth and learn, and the new tecnologies (computers, phones, amp simulators) are very getting better and better.

I think that we are living a great time for guitar.

Todd Simpson
With the rise of broadband internet we have seen a massive fracturing of the market for entertainment. Now that anyone can be an international broadcaster via youtube, and the barrier to entry for home recording is very low, anyone can make any type of music they want to and audiences can be very selective as to what they want to hear.

As such, we have seen many genres of music, metal in particular, fracture and fracture again in to micro subgenres. Periphery for example, lives in one of those subgenres and as Misha said, even at their level of succes, it's not enough to gain a critical mass to make a living without all the other income streams he has. This is both good and bad imho.
It's good in that anyone from anywhere can play anything and eventually find people that like it. This person/band can build a loyal audience and gain a following and eventually create enough income streams to make a living at it and keep making music. Thus, it's a great time for any guitar player imho. Or any musician really. There are no real barriers to entry anymore.

It's bad in that the larger forces of media have been rendered less powerful due to the fracturing of the market. The record lables continue to shrink and the entire industry continues to try to change enough to survive. As such, we see a bit more focus on low hanging fruit imho in terms of what gets pushed/promoted. Tween girls for example still buy music. So we get a lot of popular music directed right at them. Sure, the biz has always done this to some degree. However, the days of a lable carrying a band for 3 albums to let them "develop" seem to be over. Artists now are expected to develop themselves.

Back to the good part, artists don't really need record lables anymore. Anyone can get their music out there in the market. This was not the case prior to the mp3 format internet distribution/streaming. Trends may come and go but great music is always being made, even if you have to go digging for it smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 8 2018, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This video is very cool. Please watch it, and let me know what are your thoughts about the final question made by Rick at 08:21. Let's talk about this. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.