Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Major Pentatonic Intermediate Solo
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > REC
Carlos Ferreira
Original lesson: Major Pentatonic Intermediate Solo by Gabriel Leopardi

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Carlos!

Great job mate. This lesson is part of the complementary lessons for my Improvisation Course in which we are working at the mentoring program. I have to say that you are doing a killer job at GMC, your energy is very inspiring!

Your take on this lesson is excellent. There is only a pitch issue in the first bend (at 00:03), then everything is flawless. You rocked it!

Please remember to dedicate some time to jam over the backing track, and create your own variations of the licks.

Keep on the great job!
Kristofer Dahl
Your technique is good here - and the main thing that catches my ear is that you are playing a bit ahead of the beat.

Listen to Gab's take and you will notice it gives a more relaxed impression. It is almost always better to be slightly behind the beat.

This might seem subtle but has quite an impact on listening experience.

This is something we see quite often at REC - and typically it comes when you hit the record button and start focusing on "avoiding mistakes".

The solution is usually to think less and try to feel more ( ie think about the groove, just rock away) - this does require you to know the lesson very well though.

All in all you have done a good job here and you get an 8 from me.
Darius Wave
Hey there!

First thing I notice is different choice of pickup. Gabriel decided to use neck pickup for more mellow tone. It has much to do with how it fits with backing guitars. With you choice of bridge pickup, solo guitar part seems to "fight" with backing guitars. There are different reasons people choose particular switch position and it's not always about how you like the guitar to sound alone. In this case there is a reason to use neck position - it cuts more with some extra, low mids and leave some pass in the higher frequencies for backing guitars to cut trhoguh

Kris has a good point and of course it all sounds much easier than it is in reality. It's true that when you care less, you actually play better. Tension takes away the flow and makes us do mistakes we never do while practicing freely. Usually the more times you hit the rec button, the less you struggle with nerves smile.gif

Besides little timing issues (very little) this is a nice work over this lesson. Well done!
Fran
Pass: 8.3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.