Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gmc Holiday Collab!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Gabriel Leopardi
Hello everybody!!!

It's time for a new GMC video collab!! This time, I've recorded a backing track inspired by "We wish you a Merry Christmas" song. You can record whatever you want over it. You can go for a short lick, melody, rhythm, chord, noise, or compose a full solo! Let's have fun! smile.gif

We can even do some kind of "connecting phrases" thing here if it inspires us to have more material!

Backing Track (Short version): Click to view attachment

Backing Track: Click to view attachment

Tempo: 75 bpm

Key: G Major

Chord Progression: G | C | Am | D | G | Em | C D | G ||

Suggested Scale: G Pentatonic Major (Same notes than E Pentatonic Minor)

DEADLINE: January 3rd

If you are new to collabs please check out this: LINK

WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE PART OF THIS ONE?

TIPS FOR BEGINNERS:

Lesson notes HERE.

Final video:

Kristofer Dahl
Very nice, I am jamming over it now. Sounds great!
bleez
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 14 2018, 07:12 PM) *
WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE PART OF THIS ONE?

Yup smile.gif

Adam M
That's a nice melody, I like it! If that's ok, I would like to play 3-string arpeggios all over this track. It could be a great exercise for what I'm working on in the mentoring thread. I mean, not just for my mechanical skills but also theory. I can't do sweeping yet but I can play this clean smile.gif The tempo is slow, so I should be fine.

Just to make sure: all I have to do is find the notes that build the corresponding chord and make an arpeggio shape of them?

When I'm done, I can try improvising over it too. Sounds like fun! smile.gif
Todd Simpson
I'm in!!!! :)Todd
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 14 2018, 04:45 PM) *
Very nice, I am jamming over it now. Sounds great!

GREAT!! Let me know if you'd like a longer jamtrack! smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 14 2018, 05:21 PM) *
Yup smile.gif

You are welcome mate!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 14 2018, 05:34 PM) *
That's a nice melody, I like it! If that's ok, I would like to play 3-string arpeggios all over this track. It could be a great exercise for what I'm working on in the mentoring thread. I mean, not just for my mechanical skills but also theory. I can't do sweeping yet but I can play this clean smile.gif The tempo is slow, so I should be fine.

Just to make sure: all I have to do is find the notes that build the corresponding chord and make an arpeggio shape of them?

When I'm done, I can try improvising over it too. Sounds like fun! smile.gif

Hi Adam!! Yes! You can go for it! It's a good exercise and it can sound cool! There is an acoustic guitar recorded in this backing track playing arpeggios but another one in a higher register can really work!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 14 2018, 05:47 PM) *
I'm in!!!! :)Todd

GREAT mate!! Welcome!! smile.gif

bleez
Been playing over the track today, I went with the end section, possibly because I like the evil santa laugh at the end of the track biggrin.gif

full
Click to view attachment

guitar
Click to view attachment

video file

Caelumamittendum
I tried to jot down some lyrics which I might try and work into some vocal lines and melodies smile.gif Let me know what you think:

"Once again, we're at the end
It's Christmas time
What did you see, what did you hear,
What did you do throughout the year?
Did you you do the things you love,
some things you'd never heard of?
Did you spent your time with those you hold dear?
I hope you will have the best time of the year!

It's Christmas time!

Somewhere there's a child who never saw a snowy day
Heard the sound of Santa and smiled! Spare him a thought you may!
We're so inclined to fight for all we stand for, all that we think is right
Lay down your guns and halt your war, if only for this one night

'Cause it's Christmas time!

When I was young we used to ice-skate on a nearby frozen lake
A snowball fight seems far away now, there are other things at stake
Your life is your frame of reference, it's what has brought you here
I reckon there's a difference in how we all perceived this year

For some of us it's Christmas time, for some it's just another day
Show love and understanding, your way is not the only way
Put aside all your differences, open your heart for just one night
Unite and become friends, I hope you will find that it's alright

Let's make it a happy holiday!

We can put aside our differences,
Let's unite and become friends!

Make it a happy holiday!
Make it a happy holiday!"
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 16 2018, 01:57 AM) *
Been playing over the track today, I went with the end section, possibly because I like the evil santa laugh at the end of the track biggrin.gif

Awesome to see you play that strat man! That melody you have got going is very good.

The main thing that could lift this take further would be your vibrato, and I don't mean you have to learn anything new -

Simply let the notes ring for a while before you add the vibrato - and if there is no time to do that (ie short sustained notes) just skip the vibrato. If you do this your take will sound much more secure and have less of the slightly nervous and pushy Hammet style vibrato.

I am also working on this one and get wait to get recording!

bleez
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 16 2018, 09:15 AM) *
Awesome to see you play that strat man! That melody you have got going is very good.

The main thing that could lift this take further would be your vibrato, and I don't mean you have to learn anything new -

Simply let the notes ring for a while before you add the vibrato - and if there is no time to do that (ie short sustained notes) just skip the vibrato. If you do this your take will sound much more secure and have less of the slightly nervous and pushy Hammet style vibrato.

I am also working on this one and get wait to get recording!

thanks Kris. smile.gif Im totally loving playing a strat! I hope it doesnt effect my inevitable Gibson endorsement laugh.gif
I'll try to focus more on vibrato with those tips you mentioned. I do hate how nervous it usually sounds. It never sounds like that in my head rolleyes.gif
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 16 2018, 11:53 AM) *
I'll try to focus more on vibrato with those tips you mentioned. I do hate how nervous it usually sounds. It never sounds like that in my head rolleyes.gif

I get the same thing. If I don't consciously think about it - in comes the ghost of Hammet. Especially when I try to squeeze in some slow notes in between shredding - and there is little brain capacity left for thinking about vibrato.
Caelumamittendum
Just noticed this is a in 6/8. Thought it may be worth noting somewhere. I might have missed it though.
Caelumamittendum
Just spent the last 2 hours on this, but it's still rough around the edges, so probably need some more polishing. I feel like it gets better as the song goes on, but at that point I was also warmed up from recording the first half.

Caelumamittendum
Working on video now smile.gif
Caelumamittendum
(Kinda bad) video done:

Todd Simpson
Nice!!! This is shaping up to be a very cool track!!

Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 16 2018, 06:58 PM) *
(Kinda bad) video done:

Kristofer Dahl
@Cael YEAH!! Very nice vocals, I am in Christmas mood now!
Caelumamittendum
Thanks, Kris and Todd smile.gif I might improve it a bit. It was all done in 2 hours or so - writing the melody lines and recording and all that smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 15 2018, 09:57 PM) *

Hi Bleez!! hahah it's true that it doesn't seem to be a good Santa, there is something bad in that laugh! biggrin.gif

Thanks for your take! Your tone is very tasty and fits great with the backing track. Your phrasing is very cool, nice note choices and rhythm! Well done mate!

QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 16 2018, 07:53 AM) *
thanks Kris. smile.gif Im totally loving playing a strat! I hope it doesnt effect my inevitable Gibson endorsement laugh.gif

I've been a Gibson player for a long time but I can't stop playing my Stratocaster since I've got it. The tone is so addictive, and after playing a lot on Les Paul, I notice that this guitar has refreshed my overall playing.

And I can hear the same in your playing, there is something new in your phrasing and overall playing, that I haven't heard before. Can you note it?

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 16 2018, 07:58 PM) *
(Kinda bad) video done:

What a nice surprise Cael!! Thanks a lot for this lyrics and cool vocal melodies!!

There is some room to improve tuning in some parts, mostly in the first verse. Feel free to share a new take if you want, if not I can adjust a bit your singing when mixing this one. Your voice sounds great!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 17 2018, 04:10 AM) *
@Cael YEAH!! Very nice vocals, I am in Christmas mood now!

me too! biggrin.gif
Caelumamittendum
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 17 2018, 03:17 PM) *
What a nice surprise Cael!! Thanks a lot for this lyrics and cool vocal melodies!!

There is some room to improve tuning in some parts, mostly in the first verse. Feel free to share a new take if you want, if not I can adjust a bit your singing when mixing this one. Your voice sounds great!

I completely agree on the first verse. My "warm up" was doing the first verse, so it got a bit better as I went on with the recording and more takes smile.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 17 2018, 02:18 PM) *
Thanks for your take! Your tone is very tasty and fits great with the backing track. Your phrasing is very cool, nice note choices and rhythm! Well done mate!

I've been a Gibson player for a long time but I can't stop playing my Stratocaster since I've got it. The tone is so addictive, and after playing a lot on Les Paul, I notice that this guitar has refreshed my overall playing.

And I can hear the same in your playing, there is something new in your phrasing and overall playing, that I haven't heard before. Can you note it?

Thanks mate smile.gif
I totally know what you mean about going to a strat, I just want to play 'straty' things with a 'straty' tone smile.gif
I dont think there is a better sound than a strat on the neck pickup.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 17 2018, 02:23 PM) *
Thanks mate smile.gif
I totally know what you mean about going to a strat, I just want to play 'straty' things with a 'straty' tone smile.gif
I dont think there is a better sound than a strat on the neck pickup.

heheh yeah, I love that sound! smile.gif
Phil66
This went over my radar Gab, I'm in.

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 18 2018, 04:37 PM) *
This went over my radar Gab, I'm in.

GREAT!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
MisterM
I'm in, I'm working now
I feel good this sweet collab smile.gif

When is deadline ?

Gabriel Leopardi
You are welcome MisterM!!

DEADLINE: January 3rd
MisterM
Noel will be finished, why not December 25 tongue.gif

Here my first take, maybe more sweet ?

https://soundcloud.com/guitare-capture/work-on-x-mas-collab-gmc-gab
Kristofer Dahl
Just a little update, I think I have recorded a keeper over the jam track! biggrin.gif I will digest it until tomorrow and then start working a bit on the mix/arrangement ( I am thinking about adding a little orchestration to support the improvised lead)

QUOTE (MisterM @ Dec 19 2018, 05:27 PM) *

Killer melodies and tone! The only part I would tweak some more is the faster section at ~00:30 where it seems your picking and left hand might not be totally in sync.
Gabriel Leopardi
Hey friends!! Here I'm sharing some improvisation tips for beginner so everybody gives this one a chance! Let me know if you have any question, and feel free to use this thread to share videos trying these ideas and exercises.

Guitar Pro File: Click to view attachment

PDF Tabs: Click to view attachment

10 Minutes Jamtrack: Click to view attachment

GUITAR TIP 1: "Simple melody using One Scale Shape"

In this one I show you an example of how much you can do with just a few notes. I'm using only the higher section of the first G Pentatonic Major Shape.

Click to view attachment

First play the scale up and down over the backing track, and get the feel of each note. Try singing the scale notes while playing so you get familiar with the sounds. Learn my melody,play it over the backing track and then create variations of it. Once you are comfortable and familiar with the sound of the scale, create your own phrases.

If you find this idea useful, try working with other sections from the Pentatonic Major Scale.

GUITAR TIP 2: "Simple melody using One String"

Here I show a melody played only using first string. This type of vertical playing is usually very cool to get more melodic solos, close to what a singer would do.

These are the notes from G major scale on 1st string:

Click to view attachment

Learn the notes, play them up and down, sing along with the sounds, and try your own melodies!

GUITAR TIP 3: "Simple melody using Triads"

This one is a bit trickier because I'm following the backing track chords with triads. What does it mean? It means that I play G triad when G is sounding, then switch to C triad when C is sounding, and so... This needs a lot of attention but the results are amazing!

These are the triads that I'm using.

G Triad:
Click to view attachment

C Triad:
Click to view attachment

Am Triad:
Click to view attachment

D Triad:
Click to view attachment

Em Triad:
Click to view attachment

Practice following the chords playing notes from the triads, once you can do it smoothly, try creating melodies focusing on these notes.
MisterM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 19 2018, 06:43 PM) *
Just a little update, I think I have recorded a keeper over the jam track! biggrin.gif I will digest it until tomorrow and then start working a bit on the mix/arrangement ( I am thinking about adding a little orchestration to support the improvised lead)

Killer melodies and tone! The only part I would tweak some more is the faster section at ~00:30 where it seems your picking and left hand might not be totally in sync.

Happy to see you an other masterclass instructor on collab smile.gif

Thank for advices, I will try to improve it

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 19 2018, 06:47 PM) *
Hey friends!! Here I'm sharing some improvisation tips for beginner so everybody gives this one a chance! Let me know if you have any question, and feel free to use this thread to share videos trying these ideas and exercises.

Thank you Gab, triad is a good idea
Kristofer Dahl
Here is my take on the (looped) jam track. I don't know how we will use it but it sure is a very fun track to play over!

https://www.facebook.com/kristofer.dahl/vid...285921435644149
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (MisterM @ Dec 19 2018, 01:27 PM) *

That's beautiful mate!! Your phrasing is very nice as well as your tone. I also notice that the section aroung 00:30 can be improved, other than that this is great!

Thanks!!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 20 2018, 11:33 AM) *
Here is my take on the (looped) jam track. I don't know how we will use it but it sure is a very fun track to play over!

It sounds great Kris!! Killer sustain and harmonics in the beginning. There are lots of great phrases and killer shred passages. It will be tricky to decide which things go and which ones not for the final mix!
Adam M
I'll have to quit this. I'll do the collabs as exercise for mentoring thread but I won't make it before deadline, so don't wait for me with the final mix. Actually, I don't feel like touching a guitar at all right now and it will probably stay this way for a while.
MisterM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 20 2018, 03:33 PM) *

Great

Crazy playing !

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 20 2018, 04:06 PM) *
That's beautiful mate!! Your phrasing is very nice as well as your tone. I also notice that the section aroung 00:30 can be improved, other than that this is great!

Thanks!!

Thank Gab

Here my new take - I add some sweep arpeggio licks
The final note is over the tune :/

What do you think about it ?

https://soundcloud.com/guitare-capture/work-on-2-x-mas-collab-gmc
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 20 2018, 03:43 PM) *
I'll have to quit this. I'll do the collabs as exercise for mentoring thread but I won't make it before deadline, so don't wait for me with the final mix. Actually, I don't feel like touching a guitar at all right now and it will probably stay this way for a while.

Hi Adam! I'm surprised of this message! Remember that you can share even one lick here to be part. It's not something serious, we are having fun here! (While learning / practicing!).

Let's talk about the lack of motivaton at the mentoring thread!
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 20 2018, 07:43 PM) *

Mate, we all go through periods when playing the guitar doesn't feel right.

Just like Gab, I would say try to just play around over the backing for fun - don't feel that you need to deliver something special, play better than anyone else , etc. Good stuff comes from having fun with music, and sometimes just three notes can be more inspiring than anything else!

QUOTE (MisterM @ Dec 20 2018, 08:28 PM) *

Excellent, the 00:30 part now sounds good and the additional arpeggios sound killer!

@Gab MisterM - thanks for the feedback! This was a really neat one to jam over. Did you use a real bass for this backing?
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (MisterM @ Dec 20 2018, 04:28 PM) *
Great

Crazy playing !

Thank Gab

It sounds great MisterM! Go for it mate!! Thanks a lot! smile.gif
MisterM
Hi Gab

Ok, all is here smile.gif
I add harmonic arpeggio, I hope you feel it good

Guitar Track : https://ahp.li/1b2eb6e1b7bfbfff7e57.wav

Complet Track : https://ahp.li/66b7615171b5b5096f1f.wav

Phil66
Just been messin, kept it simple and melodic, this is a warts and all take but just want to know if this kind of thing is okay?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/crimbo-collab-2018-practise-take
Todd Simpson
This is great and very cool of you to do! It really gives every single bit of information one would need to be able to create a bit of solo over this track. There really is no excuse now!
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 19 2018, 01:47 PM) *

Guitar Pro File: Click to view attachment

PDF Tabs: Click to view attachment

10 Minutes Jamtrack: Click to view attachment

GUITAR TIP 1: "Simple melody using One Scale Shape"

In this one I show you an example of how much you can do with just a few notes. I'm using only the higher section of the first G Pentatonic Major Shape.

Click to view attachment

First play the scale up and down over the backing track, and get the feel of each note. Try singing the scale notes while playing so you get familiar with the sounds. Learn my melody,play it over the backing track and then create variations of it. Once you are comfortable and familiar with the sound of the scale, create your own phrases.

If you find this idea useful, try working with other sections from the Pentatonic Major Scale.

GUITAR TIP 2: "Simple melody using One String"

Here I show a melody played only using first string. This type of vertical playing is usually very cool to get more melodic solos, close to what a singer would do.

These are the notes from G major scale on 1st string:

Click to view attachment

Learn the notes, play them up and down, sing along with the sounds, and try your own melodies!

GUITAR TIP 3: "Simple melody using Triads"

This one is a bit trickier because I'm following the backing track chords with triads. What does it mean? It means that I play G triad when G is sounding, then switch to C triad when C is sounding, and so... This needs a lot of attention but the results are amazing!

These are the triads that I'm using.

G Triad:
Click to view attachment

C Triad:
Click to view attachment

Am Triad:
Click to view attachment

D Triad:
Click to view attachment

Em Triad:
Click to view attachment

Practice following the chords playing notes from the triads, once you can do it smoothly, try creating melodies focusing on these notes.
onetabmat
Beat Zbinden
I'm in!
MisterM
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Dec 22 2018, 02:57 PM) *

Hi

Good idea and melodie , I love your whammy bar technic
Nice job

You can up the guitar volume on the violoning part
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (MisterM @ Dec 21 2018, 01:09 PM) *
Hi Gab

Ok, all is here smile.gif
I add harmonic arpeggio, I hope you feel it good

Guitar Track : https://ahp.li/1b2eb6e1b7bfbfff7e57.wav

Complet Track : https://ahp.li/66b7615171b5b5096f1f.wav

Great! I love it MisterM! Thanks a lot for your take and the nice video. smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 21 2018, 05:51 PM) *
Just been messin, kept it simple and melodic, this is a warts and all take but just want to know if this kind of thing is okay?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/crimbo-collab-2018-practise-take

Hi Phil, yes! This kind of melodic stuff works great over this backing track. Your phrasing and note choices is very tasty here. If you ask me, the only thing that I would work here is dynamics, and maybe bending and vibrato, to give this one more feeling. That's only if you have more time, if not, let's go for this one!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 22 2018, 04:20 AM) *
This is great and very cool of you to do! It really gives every single bit of information one would need to be able to create a bit of solo over this track. There really is no excuse now!

Thanks mate!! No more excuses!! smile.gif

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Dec 22 2018, 10:57 AM) *

Great job mate!! Your take is very creative and the overal solo sounds fresh to me. Cool use of whammy bar and other techniques. I like how your solo evolves and has different sections. Is this an improvisation or composed solo?

Thanks for taking the time to record a take for this one! smile.gif

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Dec 22 2018, 11:14 AM) *
I'm in!

GREAT!!
Adam M
Gab said we could go for this take, so I'm posting it.
onetabmat
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 23 2018, 04:02 PM) *
Great! I love it MisterM! Thanks a lot for your take and the nice video. smile.gif

Hi Phil, yes! This kind of melodic stuff works great over this backing track. Your phrasing and note choices is very tasty here. If you ask me, the only thing that I would work here is dynamics, and maybe bending and vibrato, to give this one more feeling. That's only if you have more time, if not, let's go for this one!

Thanks mate!! No more excuses!! smile.gif

Great job mate!! Your take is very creative and the overal solo sounds fresh to me. Cool use of whammy bar and other techniques. I like how your solo evolves and has different sections. Is this an improvisation or composed solo?

Thanks for taking the time to record a take for this one! smile.gif

GREAT!!

Just toyed with a few ideas and stuck to this composition , when I'm coming up with ideas
I create a rough idea of what I need to play and sometimes play it differently to what I originally
Wanted, the mid section of the song like the volume swells were improvised .
Beat Zbinden
My first idea.
MisterM
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 23 2018, 08:30 PM) *

Good job mate smile.gif

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Dec 24 2018, 03:50 PM) *
My first idea.

Great idea !
Nice technic and killer tone
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 23 2018, 04:30 PM) *

Nice Adam!! Thanks a lot! Please remember to share audio files (only guitar and guitar + mix). smile.gif

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Dec 23 2018, 04:49 PM) *
Just toyed with a few ideas and stuck to this composition , when I'm coming up with ideas
I create a rough idea of what I need to play and sometimes play it differently to what I originally
Wanted, the mid section of the song like the volume swells were improvised .

Great! Good job mate. Please remember to share audio files (only guitar and guitar + mix).

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Dec 24 2018, 11:50 AM) *
My first idea.

Hi Beat! Everything sounds good on this one! I like your tone and delay settings. Good job!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.