Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too Much Like Zeppelin?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Phil66
Many people are slagging this band off for being "too much like Zeppelin", I say fair play to the young lads for doing what they want to do and doing it well.

What do you all think????

https://youtu.be/WgPVKIIGymQ
Kristofer Dahl
Wow! Made me want to give Zeppelin a new chance biggrin.gif
klasaine
I like em. It'll probably make a few kids want an electric guitar and I'm good with that.

So many bands have been accused of sounding LZ since LZ. So many bands did and do sound - a bit - like LZ since LZ.
Whatever. No band actually sounds like Led Zeppelin. It's one thing to kinda grok the vox and the guitar approach but none have ever gotten even remotely close the depth and breadth of songwriting or the arranging and 'vibe' of Zeppelin. That, like the Beatles, was a moment in time.
New bands have to exploit their own time. Hopefully they'll be given the chance.
Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 25 2019, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! Made me want to give Zeppelin a new chance biggrin.gif

Waaaaaait a second! That took me by surprise! You have never listened much to Led Zeppelin!?

Here's a playlist that's a good place to start (hint: It's all their albums):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsZG7n7ries...7awADwtHUEW2fgO
Phil66
I like them, the guitarist will destroy his back if he keeps doing that though rolleyes.gif I like the chugging rhythms but I do find the singer needs more diversity somehow, can't put my finger on it.

Did you see at around 14:00 when the guitarists hair gets caught in his guitar and he plays while the roadie is trying to detangle him?
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 26 2019, 04:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Waaaaaait a second! That took me by surprise! You have never listened much to Led Zeppelin!?

Here's a playlist that's a good place to start (hint: It's all their albums):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsZG7n7ries...7awADwtHUEW2fgO

I love the concept of jam sounding songs - but I think it's the 70s sound production that is turning me off. It's the same thing with almost all other major acts from the 70s. I realise they have great songs but I just can't listen to them for some reason.
Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 26 2019, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love the concept of jam sounding songs - but I think it's the 70s sound production that is turning me off. It's the same thing with almost all other major acts from the 70s. I realise they have great songs but I just can't listen to them for some reason.

I grew up listening to music from the gaming era of late 80's and the whole of the 90's. I don't know if it was midi or what the format is actually called there, but later on I went on to use Powertab, GP3, 4 and 5 with midi. Never used the RSE as it sounded way worse than midi to me untill GP7. Then I delved into underground progressive metal somewhere along the lines, and I can tell you some of those productions are terrible, but as I said in another thread, I would rather listen to a good composition with a bad mix than a bad composition with a good mix smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 26 2019, 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like them, the guitarist will destroy his back if he keeps doing that though rolleyes.gif I like the chugging rhythms but I do find the singer needs more diversity somehow, can't put my finger on it.

Did you see at around 14:00 when the guitarists hair gets caught in his guitar and he plays while the roadie is trying to detangle him?

Without having listened much to them I agree on the singer needed more diversity. Robert Plant seemed to have a broader spectre of sound and "tone", in lack of a better word right now (3 hours of sleep and up to snovel show... I mean shovel snow! I don't think my brain is awake yet!)
bleez
Im ambivalent about them tbh. The LZ thing doesn't really bother me but I was a bit disappointed with their album. It was ok but I was hoping it would be a bit more adventurous, a bit more of their own thing. the lyric in the opening track "wonderlands of ice and snow" is an eye roller rolleyes.gif
Best track on the album imo is 'When the curtain falls' that one is immense but I find myself sticking on an LZ album rather than a GVF album.
I hope they develop more though, I think they will be really good.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 26 2019, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that was kinda funny biggrin.gif
Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 26 2019, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im ambivalent about them tbh. The LZ thing doesn't really bother me but I was a bit disappointed with their album. It was ok but I was hoping it would be a bit more adventurous, a bit more of their own thing. the lyric in the opening track "wonderlands of ice and snow" is an eye roller rolleyes.gif

Oh, my brain is not functioning. I thought you meant the whole set of lyrics for a song called that. The song is Age of Man, I believe. In all honesty could it not just be a reference? They must be well aware of their resemblance to Led Zeppelin and maybe even consider it an honor to them in same way rather than anything else.

Here's a track from another band (one of my favorite bands) "celebrating" and references some of their influences:

With references to Beatles, The Doors, Jethro Tull, Jane's Addiction and Hendrix:

"I the watchful eye
I am the butterfly
You know you never heard me screaming

I am the question why
I am the butterfly
Mister mojo can you hear me screaming
Hey jude you look just like your daddy
I know how it feels it makes me sad
He won't sing to me anymore
If you and me shake them
Do you think we could wake them
Do you think we could try
For most of my life i never could thank them
For the purple hazed experience
Of the electric lady's voodoo child
Yes they were bold as love
Just ask the axis

Get me through these tired day
Get me through
I've seen really nothing that your really threw away
I just see it as if you've gone all the way with it
Gone all the way with it

As if to die
So that you may really live on forever
So fly, fly on my little heartbreak
I'm gonna catch the falling feathers from your wing
Ah yes fly on my little heartbreak
Now i am the acid king"

Maybe Greta van Fleet is a little more obvious in their "steal", but I don't think it's THAT bad.
Phil66
QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 26 2019, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best track on the album imo is 'When the curtain falls' that one is immense but I find myself sticking on an LZ album rather than a GVF album.
I hope they develop more though, I think they will be really good.

Yeah I was expecting more from the album too.
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 26 2019, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would rather listen to a good composition with a bad mix than a bad composition with a good mix smile.gif

Yes, but the problem is I started out listening to GNR, Metallica and Nirvana - and was really spoiled with fantastic songs and sound...listening to productions from the 70s after that feels to garage demos ph34r.gif
AK Rich
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 25 2019, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like em. It'll probably make a few kids want an electric guitar and I'm good with that.

So many bands have been accused of sounding LZ since LZ. So many bands did and do sound - a bit - like LZ since LZ.
Whatever. No band actually sounds like Led Zeppelin. It's one thing to kinda grok the vox and the guitar approach but none have ever gotten even remotely close the depth and breadth of songwriting or the arranging and 'vibe' of Zeppelin. That, like the Beatles, was a moment in time.
New bands have to exploit their own time. Hopefully they'll be given the chance.

Man that hits the nail on the head right there. Sure, they sound like Zep in some ways but compared to Zep in songwriting and production, there really is no comparison. It's not even close.
I like them too but I think their luster may already be starting to fade. I don't think they can be the band that sounds a little like Zep forever and remain successful.
Page and Plant seem to really like them. I think it's mainly because it draws new listeners to them.
Edit: The other thing that I forgot to mention is that I think they are really good for "Rock Music" right now when there doesn't seem to be a lot of bands that are inspiring new musicians, especially guitar players.
liveOASISforever
I love them tbh. I am going to see them in March.Its being a while since a have being at a gig smile.gif

Gabriel Leopardi
They are amazing!! I hope that more young bands like these become big. They are very talented guys and have killer songs. What can be wrong with them?

There is a lot of bad quality music out there... this is not the case.

I love this one:

and don't miss my lesson! biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Greta-Van-Fleet/
Phil66
This has the bass and 6 string rig rundown:
https://youtu.be/zWDf_CEkpoU

Upbringing:
https://youtu.be/4Ap5SF41E_k

An on topic video wink.gif :
https://youtu.be/22O7uNV_UJ0

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.