Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look it’s the new guy!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Dangitdan
Hi all! My name is Dan and I’m a relatively new player (2 years-ish), creeping up on 50 years old and happened on the site via YouTube. I’m mainly self taught but I’ve tried lessons with several instructors but they never seemed to “get” me no matter how I described what I wanted. Anyway, I’m heavily influenced by the blues and that style of play but I also grew up on classic rock, alternative and punk (70’s and 80’s punk) so my style of play, for now is a bit hard to describe lol. I’m learning your “30 blues licks” at the moment and really enjoying it, it’s exactly what I need right now and is keeping me motivated so kudos to you for that. One question... my biggest problem has always been a solid practice routine for before I free play, ie: warm up, strengthening, coordination, alternate picking, exploring the fretboard etc. I’ve looked everywhere, asked instructors but never got anything worth sticking with. I’ve managed to piece together about 10 mins worth but, hey, what do I know. I try to play about half a hour to an hour a day but, because I’m not really structured and easily distracted, it turns into “fun time” and not so much practice. I think any type of play is good but if I had something more structured to start with before I got into goofing around I’m sure I would see more steady progress. I hope that wasn’t too scatterbrained and any help would be appreciated.
Dan
Phil66
Hello Dan, welcome to GMC, HERE'S something I recently said to another student that may help you. Enjoy your journey buddy, looking forward to you being part of our family smile.gif

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Dan! Welcome to GMC!!

Let me tell you that you are at the right place. The most important thing of a practice session is to have fun so you are not too far from the perfect session for you.

However that list of goals can be your guide to structure a bit your practice.

What abot something like this:

- Warming up (5/10 minutes)
- Improvisation concept (10 m)
- Technique concept (10 m)
- Learning licks jamming (20 m)

You can work a different concept eack week or each day of the week.

Also, I can help and guide you choosing the concepts and anything else.

Dangitdan
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 7 2019, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Dan! Welcome to GMC!!

Let me tell you that you are at the right place. The most important thing of a practice session is to have fun so you are not too far from the perfect session for you.

However that list of goals can be your guide to structure a bit your practice.

What abot something like this:

- Warming up (5/10 minutes)
- Improvisation concept (10 m)
- Technique concept (10 m)
- Learning licks jamming (20 m)

You can work a different concept eack week or each day of the week.

Also, I can help and guide you choosing the concepts and anything else.

Thanks for the reply ????
I thinks that’s where I need some guidance. I’m fine with the timeline but it’s what I’m actually doing in those times, the exercises themselves, I need help with. I have a couple warmups I usually run through first after a bit of stretching but after that, I’m all over the place.
Todd Simpson
Todd here! I'm on of our Instructors here at GMC smile.gif Let me know thing. Hmm. I got it!! SHRED BOOTCAMP smile.gif Just shoot me a personal message and I'll make you your own thread in my forum. Bootcamp is 400 curated Missions designed to be "Worth it".

Welcome to GMC!!!
Todd

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Dangitdan @ Apr 7 2019, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the reply ????
I thinks that’s where I need some guidance. I’m fine with the timeline but it’s what I’m actually doing in those times, the exercises themselves, I need help with. I have a couple warmups I usually run through first after a bit of stretching but after that, I’m all over the place.

Ok! I’ll help you with this. Do you have any video of you playing to share?
Dangitdan
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 8 2019, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok! I’ll help you with this. Do you have any video of you playing to share?

I sent you a message just now lol. No vids but I guess I could upload one. Would I send it to you or post it somewhere?
Todd Simpson
If you have a Gmail account you also have a youtube account. If you don't have a gmail account, go make one as they are free smile.gif Then you get a youtube account. That's how we do videos here smile.gif Just upload to youtube and then copy the link. then click on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM when making a post, you will get a drop down menu to walk you through embedding a video. That's all there is to it!
Todd
QUOTE (Dangitdan @ Apr 8 2019, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sent you a message just now lol. No vids but I guess I could upload one. Would I send it to you or post it somewhere?
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Dangitdan @ Apr 8 2019, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I’ve just answered it! You can send me the link to video (youtube) by PM.

Kristofer Dahl
Welcome to GMC Dan! biggrin.gif

Your introduction inspired me to record a video with some general thoughts about warming up, and how you can be productive with your warmup time:

Dangitdan
Thanks for the video and the replies. Getting a video together for upload as best i can and will post the link here when its uploaded. Thanks again all.
Dan
Kristofer Dahl
Cool Dan, I am looking forward to it!
Adam
QUOTE (Dangitdan @ Apr 7 2019, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all! My name is Dan and I’m a relatively new player (2 years-ish), creeping up on 50 years old and happened on the site via YouTube. I’m mainly self taught but I’ve tried lessons with several instructors but they never seemed to “get” me no matter how I described what I wanted. Anyway, I’m heavily influenced by the blues and that style of play but I also grew up on classic rock, alternative and punk (70’s and 80’s punk) so my style of play, for now is a bit hard to describe lol. I’m learning your “30 blues licks” at the moment and really enjoying it, it’s exactly what I need right now and is keeping me motivated so kudos to you for that. One question... my biggest problem has always been a solid practice routine for before I free play, ie: warm up, strengthening, coordination, alternate picking, exploring the fretboard etc. I’ve looked everywhere, asked instructors but never got anything worth sticking with. I’ve managed to piece together about 10 mins worth but, hey, what do I know. I try to play about half a hour to an hour a day but, because I’m not really structured and easily distracted, it turns into “fun time” and not so much practice. I think any type of play is good but if I had something more structured to start with before I got into goofing around I’m sure I would see more steady progress. I hope that wasn’t too scatterbrained and any help would be appreciated.
Dan

Hi and welcome! Good luck and have fun! smile.gif
Dangitdan
My computer isn’t playing nice it seems. So I am holding off on uploading a video for now. I got a chance to sit down with an amazing guitarist this week and pick his brain a bit. He helped me work out some things and look at what I was doing from another angle. I’m going to try this for a bit and see how it goes but I’m also working on those 30 blues riffs still and they are really helping me out. Thanks again for the help and the video Kristopher posted hit on a couple things my friend mentioned also. Sometimes it’s not what your doing but how you do it. I’m only 2 years in on my guitar journey but I forget that and beat myself up over where I am skill wise. I have to stop doing that, being my own worst enemy is counterproductive. At some point I’ll probably ask one of you to help me out or mentor me because I’m full of questions but there is so much stuff on the site I plan to utilize to the fullest. Thanks again everyone for being awesome!!
Dan
Todd Simpson
Gabe and myself both have mentoring programs and we'd love to have ya! smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Dangitdan @ Apr 14 2019, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My computer isn’t playing nice it seems. So I am holding off on uploading a video for now. I got a chance to sit down with an amazing guitarist this week and pick his brain a bit. He helped me work out some things and look at what I was doing from another angle. I’m going to try this for a bit and see how it goes but I’m also working on those 30 blues riffs still and they are really helping me out. Thanks again for the help and the video Kristopher posted hit on a couple things my friend mentioned also. Sometimes it’s not what your doing but how you do it. I’m only 2 years in on my guitar journey but I forget that and beat myself up over where I am skill wise. I have to stop doing that, being my own worst enemy is counterproductive. At some point I’ll probably ask one of you to help me out or mentor me because I’m full of questions but there is so much stuff on the site I plan to utilize to the fullest. Thanks again everyone for being awesome!!
Dan
Dangitdan
[quote name='Todd Simpson' post='767612' date='Apr 14 2019, 10:48 PM']Gabe and myself both have mentoring programs and we'd love to have ya! smile.gif

Todd

Thanks Todd
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Dangitdan @ Apr 14 2019, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dan

You only need to say “DO IT” and i’ll start your mentoring thread! wink.gif
Dangitdan
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 15 2019, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You only need to say “DO IT” and i’ll start your mentoring thread! wink.gif

Do it Gabe! I’m in.
Gabriel Leopardi
Here we go!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=60090
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.