Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kristofer Dahl Jams With You!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2
Gabriel Leopardi
Hello everybody!! This time we have something extremely special!!!! smile.gif

As we've done in the past here: Gab Jams with You.

This time, our founder and guitar hero Kristofer Dahl will jam with you! biggrin.gif

The idea is simple. Record yourself doing a quick/spontaneous jam over the backing track. Share the video, only guitar audio and audio mix. I'll record a Jams inspired by each participant take.

Then I'll share a final video with this structure: Participant 1 - Kris Jam - Participant 2 - Kris Jam - Participant 3 - Kris Jam and so...

The backing is based on his recent lesson "Beginner Jam" and was originally recorded by Guido for this other lesson: LINK.

We'll provide two very short sections. You can jam over one or both of them:

Backing track 1: Click to view attachment

Suggested Scale

Backing track 2: Click to view attachment

Suggested Scale

WHO IS IN? smile.gif

FINAL MIX:

Phil66
Great stuff, I'm in cool.gif
Phil66
Part 1, tricky with such a short backing but I like a challenge. I hope this is okay wink.gif I kept a basic tone but I've put the dry file on too in case you want to rev it up a bit wink.gif

https://youtu.be/_4lraVynQ3U

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Part 2.

https://youtu.be/JXjlpg4ox2I

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Kristofer Dahl
That's right can't wait to jam with you!! 😁

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 6 2019, 09:46 PM) *
Part 1, tricky with such a short backing but I like a challenge. I hope this is okay wink.gif I kept a basic tone but I've put the dry file on too in case you want to rev it up a bit wink.gif

https://youtu.be/_4lraVynQ3U

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Part 2.

https://youtu.be/JXjlpg4ox2I

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Awesome Phil - can't wait to record a response to this one! I hope to do it tomorrow already!
Phil66
Glad it's okay Kris smile.gif
Kristofer Dahl
Absolutely stunning phrasing here Phil, I am very proud to have recorded this with you πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ

Do we have any more takes? smile.gif
Phil66
Wow thanks Kris, I haven't had chance to watch the video yet, I'm at work and it's noisy, but can you explain a little bit what it was you liked about my phrasing please? Just so I can build on it in the future.

Cheers buddy.

Phil
Kristofer Dahl
Your playing has a clear motif with call and response flavor - and the fact that it works musically is illustrated here as it clearly takes you from point A to point B. There is a sense of evolvement in both pitch and dynamics.

Let me know what you think about it - when you have had a chance to listen to it!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 7 2019, 08:54 AM) *
Absolutely stunning phrasing here Phil, I am very proud to have recorded this with you πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ

Do we have any more takes? smile.gif

Wou!!! That’s so beautiful guys!! Now I want to hear a full collab song featuring both of you!! πŸ₯°

I also think that Phil’s phrasing is very musical and consistent here. I can say that all the hard work that you are doing at the mentoring thead is showing amazing results! Congrats mate! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Gabriel Leopardi
I've recorded my take... I'll be sharing it soon. biggrin.gif
yoncopin
I want to make some time to get a take in but want to make it count. Gonna jam on it a bit and see what comes out. Phil!!! That collab turned out really great! smile.gif
Phil66
Thanks Brian,

And thanks for the chance to do this Gab and Kris. I have to say it is very sweet and just goes to show it doesn't have to be flash to be beautiful. I'm wondering if this could be a build-up track? Kind of starting mellow like this and then adding progressively "rockier" backings as it builds into a "Stairway to Heaven" finale.

Maybe we could do something like that in the future?

Thanks for doing this, lads, it was great after being on holiday with no guitar for two weeks cool.gif

Cheers

Phil
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2019, 09:31 PM) *
I'm wondering if this could be a build-up track? Kind of starting mellow like this and then adding progressively "rockier" backings as it builds into a "Stairway to Heaven" finale.

Maybe we could do something like that in the future?

It could def evolve into that direction depending on what other takes we get!

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 7 2019, 07:54 PM) *
I want to make some time to get a take in but want to make it count. Gonna jam on it a bit and see what comes out. Phil!!! That collab turned out really great! smile.gif

Cool Brian would be amazing to get your contribution!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 7 2019, 05:50 PM) *
I've recorded my take... I'll be sharing it soon. biggrin.gif

Awesome Gab, I am waiting for it πŸ‘Š
Phil66
If I came up with something would I be allowed to submit another take? I can't promise but I may get inspired at any time.
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2019, 10:46 PM) *
If I came up with something would I be allowed to submit another take? I can't promise but I may get inspired at any time.

Yes, go for it!!

@ Gab - awesome, can't wait to record my responses!
Kristofer Dahl
Here are my responses to Gab's phrases:

Sounds very good to me, though I think we might have heated things up a bit early - and now we need someone to calm the waters down. Anyone up for it? cool.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 8 2019, 10:29 AM) *
Here are my responses to Gab's phrases:

Sounds very good to me, though I think we might have heated things up a bit early - and now we need someone to calm the waters down. Anyone up for it? cool.gif

hahaha that's amazing! It's really cool to jam with you! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

And yes, now it's time to slow down guys!! Who is in??? smile.gif
onetabmat
Will have a bash at this
LEO89PRIEST
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 8 2019, 02:10 PM) *
hahaha that's amazing! It's really cool to jam with you! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

And yes, now it's time to slow down guys!! Who is in??? smile.gif

Hi guys,

Wow it is sounding great so far! I'm totally in!! Let me start today, I'll upload whatever feels decent to me.

The only thing, and I know I've asked this before, I've never recorded my guitar through any software. I have a Digitech RP360XP pedal and I know I can use it as an interface, can I use a free software like audacity to record? Is it as easy as uploading the backing track on the software and then create another track for the guitar? Should I use different effects on the recording (delays, reverbs, chorus, etc.)?

Thanks again!

Angel smile.gif
Phil66
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ Aug 8 2019, 06:49 PM) *
Hi guys,

Wow it is sounding great so far! I'm totally in!! Let me start today, I'll upload whatever feels decent to me.

The only thing, and I know I've asked this before, I've never recorded my guitar through any software. I have a Digitech RP360XP pedal and I know I can use it as an interface, can I use a free software like audacity to record? Is it as easy as uploading the backing track on the software and then create another track for the guitar? Should I use different effects on the recording (delays, reverbs, chorus, etc.)?

Thanks again!

Angel smile.gif

Have a look at Reaper. There is a learning curve but it's fairly simple. It's free with a delayed startup but so cheap is worth buying a it's just a few guys constantly developing and you get all the updates.

https://www.reaper.fm/
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ Aug 8 2019, 03:49 PM) *
Hi guys,

Thanks again!

Angel smile.gif

Hi Angel! Yes! You can use Audacity if you already know how it works. If not, I recommend you to download this one: Reaper

You import the backing track, record your guitar in another track, then export two mixes: One that includes guitar and backing, and other with your guitar only.

Is it clear?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 8 2019, 03:55 PM) *
Have a look at Reaper. There is a learning curve but it's fairly simple. It's free with a delayed startup but so cheap is worth buying a it's just a few guys constantly developing and you get all the updates.

https://www.reaper.fm/

hehehe I didn't see your post! +1 to Reaper!
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ Aug 8 2019, 08:49 PM) *
Hi guys,

Thanks again!

Angel smile.gif

Yes to all of these smile.gif

One thing to notice, if you send me your guitar track with effects I won't be able to make it sound pro. So best/easiest is probably just to record without effects.

Also I need your guitar track alone in an audio file (where the backing can't be heard), it should start from point 0 ( in other words be exactly as long as the backing tracks Gab uploaded).

Looking forward to your takes!

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 8 2019, 08:22 PM) *
Will have a bash at this

Awesome bro, looking forward to it!
MisterM
Amazing collab, great playing all - the question answer is very rewarding

let me few time, I feel an idea.

I should try tomorrow
Gabriel Leopardi
Great to see this one growing!! Looking forward your takes! smile.gif
MisterM
I told you that I would be there for the next one smile.gif
LEO89PRIEST
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 9 2019, 06:08 AM) *
Yes to all of these smile.gif

One thing to notice, if you send me your guitar track with effects I won't be able to make it sound pro. So best/easiest is probably just to record without effects.

Also I need your guitar track alone in an audio file (where the backing can't be heard), it should start from point 0 ( in other words be exactly as long as the backing tracks Gab uploaded).

Looking forward to your takes!

Awesome bro, looking forward to it!

Thank you Kris, Phil and Gab for your incredible answers!

I downloaded Reaper and I think I got at least the basics from the software. Based on what you said, I'm uploading 3 files which belong to Backing 1 (I'm working on the solo for backing 2 but I want to know if I did it right with backing one before going ahead with the second one): 1) Backing track plus guitar with effects, 2) Only guitar with effects, 3) Only guitar without effects.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I thought of this solo as an answer to the last Kris & Gab video, I hope it works and also it could work as a "slow down" after those incredible runs from you 2 smile.gif

Regarding the file 3) Only guitar without effects I have some questions:
1. What I did was to turn off every effect (delay, compressor, distortion, reverb, etc.) including the amp simulator and equalizer, so the final result is a clean sound, is this right?
2. To be honest, is the first time in a while that I play bends and slides without any distortion... what if I want to include a pick slide or slide in with my fingers to start the solo, the distortion is a point of reference, if I do it without distortion should you be able to make it sound heavy and distorted? I don't know if my question makes sense.

Here is the youtube video for part 1:

Thanks again!

Looking forward for your answers!

Angel.
Phil66
Here's my second attempt. Trying to bring it back down again. Apologies for the duster on the keyboard rolleyes.gif

Edit: Sorry but I expected this to come in after the Kris/Gab slot, while I was creating my post Leo posted his. Not a problem, just clarifying in case you wondered what I mean about bringing it down wink.gif

https://youtu.be/-l5JSlJdbvg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

https://youtu.be/caISfSEaZQE

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
LEO89PRIEST
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ Aug 9 2019, 08:03 PM) *
Thank you Kris, Phil and Gab for your incredible answers!

I downloaded Reaper and I think I got at least the basics from the software. Based on what you said, I'm uploading 3 files which belong to Backing 1 (I'm working on the solo for backing 2 but I want to know if I did it right with backing one before going ahead with the second one): 1) Backing track plus guitar with effects, 2) Only guitar with effects, 3) Only guitar without effects.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I thought of this solo as an answer to the last Kris & Gab video, I hope it works and also it could work as a "slow down" after those incredible runs from you 2 smile.gif

Regarding the file 3) Only guitar without effects I have some questions:
1. What I did was to turn off every effect (delay, compressor, distortion, reverb, etc.) including the amp simulator and equalizer, so the final result is a clean sound, is this right?
2. To be honest, is the first time in a while that I play bends and slides without any distortion... what if I want to include a pick slide or slide in with my fingers to start the solo, the distortion is a point of reference, if I do it without distortion should you be able to make it sound heavy and distorted? I don't know if my question makes sense.

Here is the youtube video for part 1:

Thanks again!

Looking forward for your answers!

Angel.

Well, I decided to go ahead and give it a try to the backing track # 2 smile.gif

Here are the files: 1) Backing track plus guitar with effects, 2) Only guitar with effects, 3) Only guitar without effects.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is the youtube video for part 2:

Thanks again!

Angel.
Todd Simpson
I don't know if this is still open or if I have the kind of restraint needed to play something like this smile.gif But what the heck! Sound fun smile.gif

Todd
Phil66
It's still open Todd, go for it wink.gif
Leo your takes are great buddy, I particularly like that little tapped luck at the end of part 2 cool.gif
MisterM
Leo, very nice take

Also, "call & response" with Phil and Gab sound really great
This collab is wonderfull and call a lot a people.

Very Good Idea Gab smile.gif

Here mine, I should try to improve precision .. I can make better on some licks.

Part 1 Full : https://ahp.li/27fb26bb626eba6e6cec.wav
Part 1 Guitar Wet : https://ahp.li/3987d9d957dc3d7e8ea2.wav
Part 1 Guitar Dry : https://ahp.li/81d0a47a7333a0b7bdd2.wav

Part 2 Full : https://ahp.li/84466677ccdba06e7c44.wav
Part 2 Guitar Wet : https://ahp.li/4449199e2f174af00f25.wav
Part 2 Guitar Dry : https://ahp.li/f463035326c706f7ee43.wav
jstcrsn
QUOTE (LEO89PRIEST @ Aug 8 2019, 07:49 PM) *
Hi guys,

Thanks again!

Angel smile.gif

Yes and no , I had trouble using my rp 500 as an interface , so I got one of these
, for forty bucks
jstcrsn
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 10 2019, 06:51 AM) *
I don't know if this is still open or if I have the kind of restraint needed to play something like this smile.gif But what the heck! Sound fun smile.gif

Todd

I challenge you to play as few notes as possible
Todd Simpson
I tried playing with only one arm, but that just let to a series of shred quick licks played with only the left harm. Then I tried taping two out of four fingers down to my hand. That resulted in some very interesting shred licks with only two fingers from one hand and no pick. Next I"m going to tight my right arm behind my back, and tape every finger but one down on my left hand and only use the left hand. All bending, etc. will be with one finger. That should do it.
ohmy.gif)
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 10 2019, 05:30 PM) *
I challenge you to play as few notes as possible
jstcrsn
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 11 2019, 02:22 AM) *
I tried playing with only one arm, but that just let to a series of shred quick licks played with only the left harm. Then I tried taping two out of four fingers down to my hand. That resulted in some very interesting shred licks with only two fingers from one hand and no pick. Next I"m going to tight my right arm behind my back, and tape every finger but one down on my left hand and only use the left hand. All bending, etc. will be with one finger. That should do it.
ohmy.gif)
okay...okay...okay .. you can only fret with knuckles
Todd Simpson
I tried that!! It was awful. So I taped my thumb and four fingers on my left hand, and then strapped my right hand the neck as a fret scrunchy. So it's just the one finger with no way to anchor it to the neck. Im finding it quite a challenge!!!! I would suggest it to anyone looking for a new way to play that requires some new thinking as none of the regular licks work.

Todd
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 10 2019, 10:42 PM) *
okay...okay...okay .. you can only fret with knuckles
Rids
Wonderful takes guys!

Very inspiring.

My turn now

onetabmat

Kristofer Dahl
Fantastic work guys, this is turning out amazingly cool!! cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif Here the responses from Leo to Onetabmat:

Phil66
That's great Kris, how about posting the video from YouTude with the student footage too wink.gif

Thank you for giving us the chance to jam with you buddy smile.gif
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 11 2019, 08:40 PM) *
That's great Kris, how about posting the video from YouTude with the student footage

Hi mate, not sure what you mean - this one has the student footage?
Phil66
Hello buddy,

That video just shows you, we can hear the students playing but while they're playing we see you fiddling with you guitar while you wait to play, I think this is the one you put on Facebook, the other one on YouTube show the video footage of the students.

Cheers
MisterM
Hi Kris

Thank you for response, it's beautifull

Can you change my audio track for wet track.
I uploaded 2 track with a wrong name, I correct it

Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 12 2019, 07:29 AM) *
Hello buddy,

That video just shows you, we can hear the students playing but while they're playing we see you riding with you guitar while you wait to play, I think this is the one you put on Facebook, the other one on YouTube show the video footage of the students.

Cheers

Ouchie, that's what happens when you upload in a hurry 😩 Thanks a million for letting me know. Let's try it one more time - here are all my responses to Leo, Phil, MisterM, Rids & Onetabmat:

QUOTE (MisterM @ Aug 12 2019, 08:21 AM) *
Hi Kris

I accidentally uploaded the raw file with wrong audio πŸ˜… - all should be good now!
MisterM
No Kris it's me - I uploaded with bad name. I corrected it on 1rst post
The track is again "dry" sad.gif
Can you mix with wet track

Beautifull video wub.gif
LEO89PRIEST
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 12 2019, 06:35 AM) *
Ouchie, that's what happens when you upload in a hurry 😩 Thanks a million for letting me know. Let's try it one more - here are all my responses to Leo, Phil, MisterM, Rids & Onetabmat:

I accidentally uploaded the raw file with wrong audio πŸ˜… - all should be good now!

Hi Kris,

Thank you for your awesome video and the time you put to answer to every video we uploaded. Is great to see my face for the first time on a GMC video smile.gif

However, -and you know this is the first time I record my guitar using a software-, I was expecting somehow to hear the audio files I uploaded, named "leo_Backing 1_only guitar w fx and leo_Backing 2_only guitar w fx", I guess that's the same thing MisterM calls "wet" audio. Maybe is my mistake, probably I used way too distortion and that's why you used the two "dry" files (named "Only guitar no fx").

The thing with those 2 -dry- files is that I turned off every single effect and it was difficult for me to identify my mistakes, and now that you mixed and uploaded the video I feel that some notes doesn't sound good and specially the bendings sound kinda out of tune. I hope I'm being clear with my point, you know I'm here to learn.

Thanks!

Angel.

QUOTE (MisterM @ Aug 12 2019, 06:53 AM) *
No Kris it's me - I uploaded with bad name. I corrected it on 1rst post
The track is again "dry" sad.gif
Can you mix with wet track

Beautifull video wub.gif

Hi MisterM,

I don't have experience with recordings and I wanted to ask you: could you please explain me what does "wet" and "dry" audio means? What's the difference between the 2 of them? Do you have to record 2 different audios or you record just once and when rendering or exporting the audio you kind of unable or disable the effects? Hope I'm being clear.

Thanks!

Angel.
MisterM
Hello LΓ©o

Wet : 1 track with preset
Dry : 1 track without preset
It's just an export issue without modulation amp

I do this so that the instructors modify the track if they wish.
If you record with amp+cab you can't upload "Dry track"
Kristofer Dahl
@ Leo -

Thanks for asking - I agree a clarification is in place:

The file I need from you should include your amp sound, but no reverb / delay. This is the "dry" file.

However if you send me the unprocessed direct signal (without even the amp sim) - I will need to use amp sim on my end. And this could end up sounding very different than what you had in mind.

There is no need to resend me any files now, but it's a good rule to remember for coming takes/collabs.

QUOTE (MisterM @ Aug 12 2019, 08:21 AM) *
Hi Kris

I can insert this in coming mixes. However best results would probably be if your dry files had your amp tone but without any reverb/delay, I would then use these.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 10 2019, 07:51 AM) *

Todd

Definitely go for it Todd! πŸ‘
MisterM
Ok Kris,

I will upload wet track without delay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.