Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Victor's Bootcamp
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Todd Simpson
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Todd Simpson
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bitly.com/victorsbootcamp

Practice!
Sarge
Victor Simion

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 19 2019, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bit.ly/victorsbootcamp

Practice!
Sarge

Todd Simpson
Welcome To Bootcamp Soldier!!! You've done great on your first Mission here. These first few are just about working out the kinks. I can hear the metronome just fine but the guitar is maybe a pinch quiet, not a deal killer. Maybe a bit more guitar volume next on Mission 2. All of the Missions are linked in the main link which is part of the original post in this thread. Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE: Solid Palm Mute. You are doing it just right imho. Your palm remains planted and your articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger. NICE!!!

*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues.

*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging. No rushing or lagging. Score!!!

In short, you just.......

LEVELED UP!!!!
Click to view attachment
Looking forward to Mission 2!!!!
Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 20 2019, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Victor Simion
Thank you, I am happy that I passed the lesson.

I think I can play it faster, but I am afraid not to mess things, but I also want to push my speed.

I will post lesson 2 soon.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 21 2019, 04:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome To Bootcamp Soldier!!! You've done great on your first Mission here. These first few are just about working out the kinks. I can hear the metronome just fine but the guitar is maybe a pinch quiet, not a deal killer. Maybe a bit more guitar volume next on Mission 2. All of the Missions are linked in the main link which is part of the original post in this thread. Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE: Solid Palm Mute. You are doing it just right imho. Your palm remains planted and your articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger. NICE!!!

*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues.

*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging. No rushing or lagging. Score!!!

In short, you just.......

LEVELED UP!!!!
Looking forward to Mission 2!!!!
Sarge

Todd Simpson
Keep in mind that speed is a by product of precision. Each Mission is about playing with as much precision as possible. Speed comes from repetition of precision. Eventually, you will notice that you are playing at insane speed without tensing up, without even really working very hard. It will just be natural.
Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 21 2019, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you, I am happy that I passed the lesson.

I think I can play it faster, but I am afraid not to mess things, but I also want to push my speed.

I will post lesson 2 soon.
Victor Simion
Hi,

Here is lesson #2, you can see the speeds written in the Video

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 21 2019, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep in mind that speed is a by product of precision. Each Mission is about playing with as much precision as possible. Speed comes from repetition of precision. Eventually, you will notice that you are playing at insane speed without tensing up, without even really working very hard. It will just be natural.
Sarge

Todd Simpson
Happy Holidays!! Xmas break is a great time to put in some extra practice and get some work in on your long terms music goals! To Wit! Mission 2. You got this sorted. It's a very simple Mission that is really just about hand synch. if one can't play this bit, there is no point in going further in to the more complicated bits. The good news is you can play this with no problem. I can already see your hand synch improving. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
*FORM: First off I want to see good form on this one. You are displaying solid technique here Soldier. keep it up! Muting, hand synch, clean strikes. Nice!
*TEMPO: The second thing I"m looking for is your tempo. Not rushing or lagging, Spiff!
*AGGRESSION: Lastly I like to see a big of aggressive style. You have aggression to spare!!!
You are on a roll Soldier!! Keep it up!!!You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Click to view attachment
Todd
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 24 2019, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Here is lesson #2, you can see the speeds written in the Video

Victor Simion
Thank you,

I will proceed by practicing LESSON #3 - Reversing Patterns /Changing Strings, I will play it as triplets and 8th notes, meaning that each time I change a string the metronome click will hit the first note. (3 notes per beat)

Not sure how I should practice LESSON #4 - Right Hand / Left Hand Synchronization, because there are 5 notes on a string, I am not sure how the notes should fit in a measure and where to put the metronome click. The easiest way for me I think would be to just put the click on the first note when I change the string, that means I would play 5 notes per beat.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 25 2019, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Happy Holidays!! Xmas break is a great time to put in some extra practice and get some work in on your long terms music goals! To Wit! Mission 2. You got this sorted. It's a very simple Mission that is really just about hand synch. if one can't play this bit, there is no point in going further in to the more complicated bits. The good news is you can play this with no problem. I can already see your hand synch improving. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
*FORM: First off I want to see good form on this one. You are displaying solid technique here Soldier. keep it up! Muting, hand synch, clean strikes. Nice!
*TEMPO: The second thing I"m looking for is your tempo. Not rushing or lagging, Spiff!
*AGGRESSION: Lastly I like to see a big of aggressive style. You have aggression to spare!!!
You are on a roll Soldier!! Keep it up!!!You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Todd

Todd Simpson
For any lesson like Mission 4 where there an odd number of notes, just change your metronome to clicks only. Most metronomes have this feature. BY default, it's usually 3 clicks and one slightly different tone to let you know the end of one measure. By changing it to just clicks, you can focus on striking the string each time you hear a click. For Mission 4, it's a slightly different pattern on each string. So it's not the same thing being played on both even though the notes are the same, the pattern for each string is slightly different. It loops quite well though. Give it a go and hit me up with any questions!
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 25 2019, 05:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you,

I will proceed by practicing LESSON #3 - Reversing Patterns /Changing Strings, I will play it as triplets and 8th notes, meaning that each time I change a string the metronome click will hit the first note. (3 notes per beat)

Not sure how I should practice LESSON #4 - Right Hand / Left Hand Synchronization, because there are 5 notes on a string, I am not sure how the notes should fit in a measure and where to put the metronome click. The easiest way for me I think would be to just put the click on the first note when I change the string, that means I would play 5 notes per beat.
Victor Simion
Thanks,

I think I understand, but not sure if I should go with 8th notes or 16th notes.
I think it's easier for me to go with 8th notes because I know that I have to fit 2 notes on a click

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 26 2019, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For any lesson like Mission 4 where there an odd number of notes, just change your metronome to clicks only. Most metronomes have this feature. BY default, it's usually 3 clicks and one slightly different tone to let you know the end of one measure. By changing it to just clicks, you can focus on striking the string each time you hear a click. For Mission 4, it's a slightly different pattern on each string. So it's not the same thing being played on both even though the notes are the same, the pattern for each string is slightly different. It loops quite well though. Give it a go and hit me up with any questions!

Todd Simpson
If you can keep it to one note per click it will probably make things easier in that you know you need to strike once, at the same time of the click. Just crank up the BPM or down as needed to find the spot where you can play without too much hand tension, and still strike once per click. Does that make sense?

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 26 2019, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks,

I think I understand, but not sure if I should go with 8th notes or 16th notes.
I think it's easier for me to go with 8th notes because I know that I have to fit 2 notes on a click
Victor Simion
Yes, it makes sense.
But for lesson 3 I can play triplets per click, 3 notes per click, if that is ok.

And for lesson for I think I can go with 1 note per click, or should I practice all with one note per click?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 26 2019, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you can keep it to one note per click it will probably make things easier in that you know you need to strike once, at the same time of the click. Just crank up the BPM or down as needed to find the spot where you can play without too much hand tension, and still strike once per click. Does that make sense?

Todd Simpson
I'm sure we can work it out smile.gif Do what works best for you and we will go from there. In general, if you can match a click to a pick strike, it can be helpful. It allows you to synch your time with the clock. It won't work for every lick, it's just something to keep in mind as you go. After a while, you will become your own metronome. That click will live inside your head. I can't play guitar without hearing it in my head. It keeps me playing in synch/time smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 26 2019, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it makes sense.
But for lesson 3 I can play triplets per click, 3 notes per click, if that is ok.

And for lesson for I think I can go with 1 note per click, or should I practice all with one note per click?
Victor Simion
LESSON #3 - Reversing Patterns /Changing Strings

Playing triplets 8th notes at 100, 120, 140 and 160BPM.

Please let me know what you think.
Todd Simpson
Well Fought Soldier!! I can see your precision/speed is already starting to increase. I can tell you are pushing yourself which is good! You will get out of Bootcamp exactly what you put in to it, so pushing the envelope is always a good thing. I did notice that towards the end of the faster passes you start to lose tracking on the beat just a pinch and start to rush ahead just slightly. It's a natural thing actually since the hand is trying to push forward, it sometimes gets ahead of the beat. It's very slight though so it's not enough to keep you from leveling up. I think you have gotten out of this Mission everything that I wanted to see. Let's Debrief!!!

*PALM MUTE STEADY ON: The first thing I'm looking for is a solid palm mute. This lick is non stop string traverse so poor muting will result in rampant string noise. Not a problem here, solid as a rock. keep that up!

*PICKING STEADY ON: The second thing I'm looking for is steady picking rate. Your picking is very even and solid as it should be. You do rush just a pinch at the end of the faster passes but it's very slight and will correct itself as you move forward.

*ENDURANCE: Lastly, I built this one to test endurance. Without good endurance the fingers just start to fail and lose hand synch. You've got very good hand endurance and you synch is tight. Nice!!!

In short, you've got this sorted and are ready for what's ahead! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Click to view attachment
Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 4 2020, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LESSON #3 - Reversing Patterns /Changing Strings

Playing triplets 8th notes at 100, 120, 140 and 160BPM.

Please let me know what you think.
Victor Simion
Hi,

Thank you.

I am currently working on the next lesson.
Yes I am pushing myself.
Not sure if I should keep pushing or if I should play it safe, or how much should I push myself?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 4 2020, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well Fought Soldier!! I can see your precision/speed is already starting to increase. I can tell you are pushing yourself which is good! You will get out of Bootcamp exactly what you put in to it, so pushing the envelope is always a good thing. I did notice that towards the end of the faster passes you start to lose tracking on the beat just a pinch and start to rush ahead just slightly. It's a natural thing actually since the hand is trying to push forward, it sometimes gets ahead of the beat. It's very slight though so it's not enough to keep you from leveling up. I think you have gotten out of this Mission everything that I wanted to see. Let's Debrief!!!

*PALM MUTE STEADY ON: The first thing I'm looking for is a solid palm mute. This lick is non stop string traverse so poor muting will result in rampant string noise. Not a problem here, solid as a rock. keep that up!

*PICKING STEADY ON: The second thing I'm looking for is steady picking rate. Your picking is very even and solid as it should be. You do rush just a pinch at the end of the faster passes but it's very slight and will correct itself as you move forward.

*ENDURANCE: Lastly, I built this one to test endurance. Without good endurance the fingers just start to fail and lose hand synch. You've got very good hand endurance and you synch is tight. Nice!!!

In short, you've got this sorted and are ready for what's ahead! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Sarge

Todd Simpson
Forward momentum is more important than getting too hung up on any one Mission. There are many Missions ahead and each one adds to the previous one. You will have plenty of chances to work on your speed as you go. It's more important that you find your limit on each mission in terms of being able to play it in a precise manner andthen move on to the next one. If possible set yourself a schedule, for example,one Mission per week. That way you don't over practice any particular mission.

Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 9 2020, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Thank you.

I am currently working on the next lesson.
Yes I am pushing myself.
Not sure if I should keep pushing or if I should play it safe, or how much should I push myself?
Victor Simion
Hi Todd,

Here I am playing 16th notes in a 5/4 measure.
This lick fits twice on each measure.

I think it sounds pretty well the video (I mean the audio ), so I did not used the audio that was recorded separately, the audio is the same that was recorded with my cam.

I play at 80, 90 and 100BPM, respectively.

I think I lost the timing in the beginning because when I started I was not sure how fast or slow was 80 BPM.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 9 2020, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forward momentum is more important than getting too hung up on any one Mission. There are many Missions ahead and each one adds to the previous one. You will have plenty of chances to work on your speed as you go. It's more important that you find your limit on each mission in terms of being able to play it in a precise manner andthen move on to the next one. If possible set yourself a schedule, for example,one Mission per week. That way you don't over practice any particular mission.

Sarge

Todd Simpson
The lick is not easy to match to a metronome with the 3 clicks and one pop. It's easier if you match your pick strikes to clicks only and turn off the 4th sound typically but whatever works for you works for me smile.gif You drift a pinch but your playing in a precise manner which is what I want to see. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
*PALM MUTE STEADY ON: Keeping a steady palm mute without moving your pick hand all over the place is key. You have a good and centered technique here. keep that up!
*PICKING STEADY ON: Your picking is very even and solid as it should be. If your picking rushes or drags, it will ruin your ability to play briskly with precision. Great to see your picking is solid and steady!! This will serve you well as you work on your speed.
*ENDURANCE: I have not had a chance to really see your endurance on display until Mission 4 and I'm impressed. This Mission is one that can burn your arm off if you are not doing it correctly which is sorta the point of Mission 4.
You checked all the boxes I'm looking for on this one. You are ready for Mission 5!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!
Click to view attachment

Sarge

P.S. I'm updating these a bit as we go for clarification sake with our Guru of all things WIKI Mr. Fran Himself!!!
This is the updated Tab pic and the update guitar pro 5 tab file.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 10 2020, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Todd,

Here I am playing 16th notes in a 5/4 measure.
This lick fits twice on each measure.

I think it sounds pretty well the video (I mean the audio ), so I did not used the audio that was recorded separately, the audio is the same that was recorded with my cam.

I play at 80, 90 and 100BPM, respectively.

I think I lost the timing in the beginning because when I started I was not sure how fast or slow was 80 BPM.
Victor Simion
Hi Todd,

I am currently practicing Lesson #5, I am trying my best to make it match the beat perfectly.
I will post it in a few days, but before that I have a question on how to practice Lesson #6 - Pedal Point?

I attached the Guitar Pro file.

As you can see measure 8/4, 8th notes and triples, the click will match the notes with 12, 14, 16, which is perfect for me.
But to do this I have to start with a small "rest", and that is a little strange.

What are your thoughts on this?
Todd Simpson
That's fine smile.gif Try to play it like the video demo if possible but feel free to play in a way that works for you.

Todd
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 14 2020, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Todd,

I am currently practicing Lesson #5, I am trying my best to make it match the beat perfectly.
I will post it in a few days, but before that I have a question on how to practice Lesson #6 - Pedal Point?

As you can see measure 8/4, 8th notes and triples, the click will match the notes with 12, 14, 16, which is perfect for me.
But to do this I have to start with a small "rest", and that is a little strange.

Victor Simion
Check the attached guitar pro file, I forgot to add it, yesterday in the post, I added now by editing that post, and I will add it here also.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 15 2020, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's fine smile.gif Try to play it like the video demo if possible but feel free to play in a way that works for you.

Todd

Victor Simion
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 15 2020, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check the attached guitar pro file, I forgot to add it, yesterday in the post, I added now by editing that post, and I will add it here also.

I want to play it like the video demo, but I don't hear the metronome in the demo video so I am not sure on which note the metronome click is?
Todd Simpson
I"m not using a metronome in that vid actually. As long as you can play evenly, you can skip the metronome unless you want it as a speed measure. However, it wont' work as a speed measure if you do my suggested pick strike per click as you have to set the metronome crazy high. The gp5 file works fine smile.gif If you want the metronome just to measure your speed, you can set a metronome click in reaper and set it at any speed you like. There are many ways to skin a cat as it were smile.gif Did you understand what I meant about making all the metronome clicks the same? The fourt click sounds different and throws people off. Most metronomes let you have a single tone click which helps as you can pick on each click. usually this means cranking the metronome up to crazy high speeds to get a click on each pick strike.
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 15 2020, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to play it like the video demo, but I don't hear the metronome in the demo video so I am not sure on which note the metronome click is?
Victor Simion
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 16 2020, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I"m not using a metronome in that vid actually. As long as you can play evenly, you can skip the metronome unless you want it as a speed measure. However, it wont' work as a speed measure if you do my suggested pick strike per click as you have to set the metronome crazy high. The gp5 file works fine smile.gif If you want the metronome just to measure your speed, you can set a metronome click in reaper and set it at any speed you like. There are many ways to skin a cat as it were smile.gif Did you understand what I meant about making all the metronome clicks the same? The fourt click sounds different and throws people off. Most metronomes let you have a single tone click which helps as you can pick on each click. usually this means cranking the metronome up to crazy high speeds to get a click on each pick strike.

" it wont' work as a speed measure if you do my suggested pick strike per click as you have to set the metronome crazy high"
Yes, that's why I don't want to do 1 pick strike per click, and I want to do more pick strickes per click. (for example 4 notes per click, playing sixteens)

"Did you understand what I meant about making all the metronome clicks the same?"

Yes, when we use for example 4/4 measure, the first beat is accented, and we don't need this if the lick doesn't fit in a measure, we should have all the clicks with the same sound.
Todd Simpson
Here is a new guitar pro file with just two loops of Mission 6. It's pure alternate picking and and palm muting. Just make sure you use your pinky for the last note if possible smile.gif Here is the correct tab and a picture of it as well in Guitar Pro Format. I'll change on the lesson as well. Let me know if you have any questions

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Victor Simion
Hi Todd,

Here is Lesson #5,

Check out my playing and I wrote the speeds in BPM.

Todd Simpson
PAUL GILBERT STYLE LICKS.
PAUL GILBERT is one of my fave players of all time. I learned long ago that much of his style centers around a very simple idea. "Back and Forth". Essentially, going forward in a scale and then back and then forward again. This "Whiplash" effect is what gives him his signature shred style. This lick is based roughly on that approach.

MEDALS OF HONOR

*TRAVERSE: First things I wanna see is gooString Traverse is a tricky thing. It's easy to stumble on it. You play it clean and confident.
*PACE:Next, It's tempting to rush or lag these bits based on which sections feel easier or harder. You play very evenly which is what I like to see.
*ARTICULATION: Lastly, Pick articulation. You are not picking from the elbow which is great. It's easy to stiffen the entire arm and elbow pick which is a bad habbit and hard to break. You are articulating the pick very well.

I did notice that your timing began to drift on the last run. Not enough to make you have to re do the Mission but something to look out for. I'd rather see you pushing it. smile.gif I"m not grading that last one, it's more of a proof of concept. You will be playing smoothly at that level in no time.
In other words, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Click to view attachment

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 17 2020, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Todd,

Here is Lesson #5,

Check out my playing and I wrote the speeds in BPM.

Todd Simpson
Here are improved Files for MISSION 6. A new Guitar Pro file (the original lesson was created before I switched to guitar pro) and a picture export of same.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 14 2020, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Todd,

Victor Simion
I am glad that I could practice in way where I could find my limit, in Lesson #5.

Now I am practicing Lesson #6, the pedal point, I checked the guitar pro file.
It's a bit hard for me to play on time, since the metronome click hits in weird places (at least for me), I guess I have to keep on practicing it until I get used to it

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 17 2020, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PAUL GILBERT STYLE LICKS.
PAUL GILBERT is one of my fave players of all time. I learned long ago that much of his style centers around a very simple idea. "Back and Forth". Essentially, going forward in a scale and then back and then forward again. This "Whiplash" effect is what gives him his signature shred style. This lick is based roughly on that approach.

MEDALS OF HONOR

*TRAVERSE: First things I wanna see is gooString Traverse is a tricky thing. It's easy to stumble on it. You play it clean and confident.
*PACE:Next, It's tempting to rush or lag these bits based on which sections feel easier or harder. You play very evenly which is what I like to see.
*ARTICULATION: Lastly, Pick articulation. You are not picking from the elbow which is great. It's easy to stiffen the entire arm and elbow pick which is a bad habbit and hard to break. You are articulating the pick very well.

I did notice that your timing began to drift on the last run. Not enough to make you have to re do the Mission but something to look out for. I'd rather see you pushing it. smile.gif I"m not grading that last one, it's more of a proof of concept. You will be playing smoothly at that level in no time.
In other words, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Sarge

Todd Simpson
Can you set your metronome to clicks only like we talked about? not 3 clicks and a clack, but just clicks. Same tone each time. Most smart phone based metronomes will let you do this. That way you can line up each click with a pick strike.
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 18 2020, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am glad that I could practice in way where I could find my limit, in Lesson #5.

It's a bit hard for me to play on time, since the metronome click hits in weird places (at least for me), I guess I have to keep on practicing it until I get used to it
Todd Simpson
P.S. You can just turn the metronome off entirely as long as you can play the bit in a smooth and even manner. After all the metronome is just for reference to let you know if you are rushing or lagging. I fear you may be getting too bogged down on this one Mission. Go ahead and share what you have and let's see what we are working with smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 18 2020, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Victor Simion
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 20 2020, 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
P.S. You can just turn the metronome off entirely as long as you can play the bit in a smooth and even manner. After all the metronome is just for reference to let you know if you are rushing or lagging. I fear you may be getting too bogged down on this one Mission. Go ahead and share what you have and let's see what we are working with smile.gif

Todd

Hi,

Here is Lesson #6 - Pedal Point

I think that my fingers should be closer to the fretboard and I think my hand sync is not as good at higher speed.
What do you think?

Todd Simpson
Well Fought Soldier!! This is a foundational lick so it's important to be able to to play it and play it well without issue. You've got a good handle on it! The first take is the best as it is the most clean and precise. You are correct when you say that your synch starts to drift as you speed up. This is something that we will sort out as we move through the missions. At each one, push yourself during practice to the edge of your ability and feel free to include those takes at the end of your mission vid. That way I can see where your playing is heading. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICKING: First things I"m looking for is Alternate Picking. Your doing great on your Alternate Picking here. It's consistent and that's what I'm looking for. Nice!!
MUTE: Secondly, I need to see a good palm mute. Very solid work on the palm mute. Also critical. If you can't mute, you will get string noise. Not a problem here!!!

SYNCH: Right/Left hand synch is the core of this drill. You have very good synch on the first pass and it degrades a bit as you speed up. As I mentioned, we will sort this out as we move through future missions. Eventually it won't be an issue at all.

The first dozen or so Missions are foundational and core to what will be coming up in later missions. It's important to play these all in a very clean manner. Well Fought, you are ready for what awaits! you just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Click to view attachment
Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 24 2020, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Here is Lesson #6 - Pedal Point

I think that my fingers should be closer to the fretboard and I think my hand sync is not as good at higher speed.
What do you think?

Victor Simion
Hi,

What is your advice on practicing speed?
At what speed should I focus practicing more?

Let's say 100% speed is the limit. Where should I spend the most time, 75%, or maybe 90%? And how much of my time should try to push beyond 100%, and how much beyond, 105%, 110%?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 24 2020, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well Fought Soldier!! This is a foundational lick so it's important to be able to to play it and play it well without issue. You've got a good handle on it! The first take is the best as it is the most clean and precise. You are correct when you say that your synch starts to drift as you speed up. This is something that we will sort out as we move through the missions. At each one, push yourself during practice to the edge of your ability and feel free to include those takes at the end of your mission vid. That way I can see where your playing is heading. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICKING: First things I"m looking for is Alternate Picking. Your doing great on your Alternate Picking here. It's consistent and that's what I'm looking for. Nice!!
MUTE: Secondly, I need to see a good palm mute. Very solid work on the palm mute. Also critical. If you can't mute, you will get string noise. Not a problem here!!!

SYNCH: Right/Left hand synch is the core of this drill. You have very good synch on the first pass and it degrades a bit as you speed up. As I mentioned, we will sort this out as we move through future missions. Eventually it won't be an issue at all.

The first dozen or so Missions are foundational and core to what will be coming up in later missions. It's important to play these all in a very clean manner. Well Fought, you are ready for what awaits! you just..
LEVELED UP!!!Sarge

Todd Simpson
Good question. I'd say spend most of your time near the edge of your ability but say just a quarter of your time pushing beyond it. It's important to push the boundary of one's speed by finding a comfortable speed and bumping up the metronome just a bit.

Also, you can always play in fast busts to get a feeling of what it will be like once you get there. It's important not to spend all of ones practice time playing outside of ones ability or one ends up simply with sloppy playing. So in each drill find that spot where you can play it clean, and smooth, but just at the edge of where it starts to fall apart.

Then try to spend a little time each session go beyond your comfort zone to try to see what parts go wrong so that you can isolate those parts and practice repeating them. Usually, in a given lick, there is a part or parts that are more tricky for the hand. Those are the stick points. Finding those spots and isolating and looping them will help. Slowly build speed on those parts, then when you put the entire lick together, you should be able to play the entire thing faster than before.
Does this make sense?
Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 31 2020, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

What is your advice on practicing speed?
At what speed should I focus practicing more?

Let's say 100% speed is the limit. Where should I spend the most time, 75%, or maybe 90%? And how much of my time should try to push beyond 100%, and how much beyond, 105%, 110%?
Victor Simion

Hi Todd,

New Video, Lesson #7.
18th notes played at 80, 90 and 100 BPM.
Let me know what I need to improve.

Video with low quality sound, so I will attach the mp3 file with high quality sound.

The mp3 file is the same recording as the video from youtube.

Even though the mp3 has high quality, I don't like how my playing sounds there compared to the video.
It sounds like some notes are cut off, and also it sounds too scratchy.
Todd Simpson
You have got this lick down very well and your speed it good! The problem with the metronome is that you seem to be drifting in and out of synch with it. You speed up a pinch and start rushing the pattern and get slightly ahead of the metronome. The metronome is meant to act almost like a leash to prevent you from rushing or lagging. I know it's tough to play a complex pattern while listening for the click on the metronome but that's a foundational skill. You are playing very well! You are just having a pinch of trouble synching your playing to the metronome. The purpose of trying to synch to a metronome is to be able to play at a consistent speed. For example if you were playing with a band, and started rushing the song, everyone else has to rush as well. It ends up ruining the song. So it's important to be able to play while listening to something for a beat to go by. I know this is not easy, especially at first as the mind will focus on the playing and not hear the metronome and maybe not realize synch has been lost.

You don't have to play a lot of bars of each drill, just a few bars is fine. It's easier to stay synched to the metronome in shorter bursts. As you get better at staying synched you can play longer and longer with the metronome going without losing synch. This just takes time and practice and you'll get it along the way.

I'd say make a video for this mission that is just shorter so that you can stay in synch and not drift. I don't think your quite ready to play 32 bars of this drill without losing synch with the metronome. You've got the drill well in hand! It's only the lack of synch with the metronome getting in your way. One more time in to the breach!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 1 2020, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Todd,

New Video, Lesson #7.
18th notes played at 80, 90 and 100 BPM.
Let me know what I need to improve.

Video with low quality sound, so I will attach the mp3 file with high quality sound.

The mp3 file is the same recording as the video from youtube.

Even though the mp3 has high quality, I don't like how my playing sounds there compared to the video.
It sounds like some notes are cut off, and also it sounds too scratchy.
Victor Simion
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 2 2020, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have got this lick down very well and your speed it good! The problem with the metronome is that you seem to be drifting in and out of synch with it. You speed up a pinch and start rushing the pattern and get slightly ahead of the metronome. The metronome is meant to act almost like a leash to prevent you from rushing or lagging. I know it's tough to play a complex pattern while listening for the click on the metronome but that's a foundational skill. You are playing very well! You are just having a pinch of trouble synching your playing to the metronome. The purpose of trying to synch to a metronome is to be able to play at a consistent speed. For example if you were playing with a band, and started rushing the song, everyone else has to rush as well. It ends up ruining the song. So it's important to be able to play while listening to something for a beat to go by. I know this is not easy, especially at first as the mind will focus on the playing and not hear the metronome and maybe not realize synch has been lost.

You don't have to play a lot of bars of each drill, just a few bars is fine. It's easier to stay synched to the metronome in shorter bursts. As you get better at staying synched you can play longer and longer with the metronome going without losing synch. This just takes time and practice and you'll get it along the way.

I'd say make a video for this mission that is just shorter so that you can stay in synch and not drift. I don't think your quite ready to play 32 bars of this drill without losing synch with the metronome. You've got the drill well in hand! It's only the lack of synch with the metronome getting in your way. One more time in to the breach!

Sarge

All right, then I will keep on practicing this lick.
I think I will use this metronome. Please check out the version where you can use the 16th notes https://www.imusic-school.com/en/tools/online-metronome/

I think the 16th notes will help me keep the timing, but playing without the sixteens will help me get an internal metronome. What do you think?
Todd Simpson
Try it with the 16th notes on the metronome and see if you can keep it synched with the metronome. Once you can always keep a lick tight with a metronome, you can stop using one as your internal metronome will take over. But as long as you find you are too focused on the lick to stay synched with the metronome, it's a good idea to keep using one. You can clearly play this lick. I think you may just get too focused on it and it's hard to focus on a fast lick and listen to a click at the same time but that is why we are here smile.gif It's possible, just takes some time. Keep it up!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 2 2020, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All right, then I will keep on practicing this lick.
I think I will use this metronome. Please check out the version where you can use the 16th notes https://www.imusic-school.com/en/tools/online-metronome/

I think the 16th notes will help me keep the timing, but playing without the sixteens will help me get an internal metronome. What do you think?
Victor Simion
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 3 2020, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try it with the 16th notes on the metronome and see if you can keep it synched with the metronome. Once you can always keep a lick tight with a metronome, you can stop using one as your internal metronome will take over. But as long as you find you are too focused on the lick to stay synched with the metronome, it's a good idea to keep using one. You can clearly play this lick. I think you may just get too focused on it and it's hard to focus on a fast lick and listen to a click at the same time but that is why we are here smile.gif It's possible, just takes some time. Keep it up!!!

Sarge

Lesson - 7 - Take 2

Let me know if this time I am synched with the metronome.

Here I play it at 80BPM, I can play it faster, but I just wanted to be sure that I can play it in time and as clean as possible.

If you think my playing is good here, let me know what do you think if I will make another video where I will try to push it to my speed limit or should I proceed to the next lesson?
Todd Simpson
BINGO!!!! Now you are getting it Soldier!!! This is exactly what I"m talking about. I just need a few bars to see if you are getting the hang of it. You got it!!!! This is a great lick for working up speed so keep it in your WARMUP ROUTINE!! Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICKING: The first thing I look for on this Mission is your Alternate Picking. You are off to a good start here. Some quick tips.1.)KEEP IT SHALLOW: When alt picking in bootcamp, make sure to "shallow pick" E.G. The space between the strings and the body of the guitar. Your pick should only strike deep enough to let the tip of the pick hit the string. No deeper than that. 2.)
2.)TRY CLASSICAL POSITION: See if you can place the guitar on your left leg instead of your right leg. This will help you a great deal as you re train your picking hand. It changes the entire angle of your hand/arm. Also it raises the angle of the neck. Put your left foot on a stack of books or something to raise it off the floor. This is called "Classical position" since it's how classical players play. There is a very good reason they play this way. It makes playing the guitar easier once you get used to it!!! Here is a pic.Click to view attachment

MUTE: Second thing I look foor here is a good mute. Well done there! No string noise. QUICK TIPS!!1.)Proper Mute: Put your palm on the bridge and keep it flat against the bridge so that you can mute all of the strings just using your picking hand. This is a pic on how it should look. Keep your hand in this position even if you are not muting so that you are always close to the bridge for a quick mute.
Click to view attachment

SYNCH: The last thing I look for here is SYNCH. You keep good synch on this one and don't drift.

Well done Soldier!! You are ready for Mission 8! Try these QUICK TIPS and see if you can incorporate them in to your playing style. They will help you in a HUGE way going forward.
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Click to view attachment

Onward!
Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 4 2020, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lesson - 7 - Take 2

Let me know if this time I am synched with the metronome.

Here I play it at 80BPM, I can play it faster, but I just wanted to be sure that I can play it in time and as clean as possible.

If you think my playing is good here, let me know what do you think if I will make another video where I will try to push it to my speed limit or should I proceed to the next lesson?
Victor Simion

LESSON #8 - Different shapes on different strings

Playing in classical position, starting from fast to slow and the speeds are respectively: 100BPM, 90 BPM, 80 BPM.
Todd Simpson
'I can see you are still fighting a bit with the metronome. You drift off beat just pinch and the catch back up. You seem to be playing on a down beat, e.g. between the clicks instead of on the clicks. Playing with a metronome is not easy at first. But 's a foundational skill.

Watch this vid. At the end, he does a good job playing on beat with the metronome. Sometimes it just helps to hear it done right.

*Around 3:30 he plays one note per beat which is what I'd like you to try.

Despite the odd drift now and then, this is a worthy take. Let's debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

TRAVERSE OF KINGS i do use a LOT of non stop string traverse to get you used to crossing strings without losing time on the metronome. You are getting very close. You seem to start on a down beat which is odd and I think may be getting in your way. I'd say get rid of the clack that happens every few clicks and just use clicks if possible. Try to tie your pick strike to a click instead of trying to stick it after the click in the space in between. Make sense?

SOLID PACING
Despite losing track on the metronome a couple of times your overall pace was solid.

ALT PICKING FROM HELL This one requires a lot of alternate picking and string crossing. Well done!! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Click to view attachment

[

quote name='Victor Simion' date='Feb 11 2020, 01:40 PM' post='774695']

Playing in classical position, starting from fast to slow and the speeds are respectively: 100BPM, 90 BPM, 80 BPM.
[/quote]
Victor Simion
Yes, that makes sense: I can play one note per beat, but that means I will have to slow down very much. If this is helping me to fix my timing I will focus on this.

It's a bit hard for me to play on time since I am not even able to say exactly where I drift off the beat.
What I try to do is listening to my recording, I will also slow it like half of the speed of the original and try to listen if my timing is off.

Also you mistaken my "Medal".

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 11 2020, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'I can see you are still fighting a bit with the metronome. You drift off beat just pinch and the catch back up. You seem to be playing on a down beat, e.g. between the clicks instead of on the clicks. Playing with a metronome is not easy at first. But 's a foundational skill.

Watch this vid. At the end, he does a good job playing on beat with the metronome. Sometimes it just helps to hear it done right.

*Around 3:30 he plays one note per beat which is what I'd like you to try.

Despite the odd drift now and then, this is a worthy take. Let's debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

TRAVERSE OF KINGS i do use a LOT of non stop string traverse to get you used to crossing strings without losing time on the metronome. You are getting very close. You seem to start on a down beat which is odd and I think may be getting in your way. I'd say get rid of the clack that happens every few clicks and just use clicks if possible. Try to tie your pick strike to a click instead of trying to stick it after the click in the space in between. Make sense?

SOLID PACING
Despite losing track on the metronome a couple of times your overall pace was solid.

ALT PICKING FROM HELL This one requires a lot of alternate picking and string crossing. Well done!! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!

[

quote name='Victor Simion' date='Feb 11 2020, 01:40 PM' post='774695']

Todd Simpson
I understand that it's hard. It's meant to be. Retraining your hand and eliminating bad habits is never easy. You will have to slow down QUITE a bit. That's ok. Once you get the technique in hand, you'll be able to speed up to any speed you like. I can play at any rate for as long as I want because i put in the work to be able to play correctly in the start. Without that, one never gets fast, one just gets sloppy. Control is everything. You have to train your ear to hear the metronome as you play. This may require you to slow way down so you don't have to focus so much on guitar. That ok. You'll speed back up quickly. Keep at it!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 12 2020, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, that makes sense: I can play one note per beat, but that means I will have to slow down very much. If this is helping me to fix my timing I will focus on this.

It's a bit hard for me to play on time since I am not even able to say exactly where I drift off the beat.
What I try to do is listening to my recording, I will also slow it like half of the speed of the original and try to listen if my timing is off.

Also you mistaken my "Medal".
Victor Simion
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 13 2020, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand that it's hard. It's meant to be. Retraining your hand and eliminating bad habits is never easy. You will have to slow down QUITE a bit. That's ok. Once you get the technique in hand, you'll be able to speed up to any speed you like. I can play at any rate for as long as I want because i put in the work to be able to play correctly in the start. Without that, one never gets fast, one just gets sloppy. Control is everything. You have to train your ear to hear the metronome as you play. This may require you to slow way down so you don't have to focus so much on guitar. That ok. You'll speed back up quickly. Keep at it!!

Sarge

Lesson #9 - Building Speed

Even though the title is "Building Speed" today is about perfecting my playing on time, and then I will speed it up.
I play at 160 BPM each note on each click.
Todd Simpson
This is much better Soldier!! You get better with each take and that's a good thing. You are finally in full control of your playing. You keep Solid synch the entire time, you are locked in with the metronome and you play with precision. This is exactly what I want to see. From here, you are ready to start speeding up. You've got to make it to this point before you can start getting "Fast". You have made it that point Soldier!!! Let's Debrief!!
SNIPER Just like a SNIPER, being able to STRIKE WITH PRECISION is CRUCIAL!! It's the foundation of everything. You are getting a good handle on your precision!!!
CONSISTENCY This the second most important thing you have to learn. Without consistent playing, you get random rushing/lagging and one can never truly shred. You are breaking through the barriere here and showing very good consistent playing.
MUTE TO KILL Lastly, you HAVE to be able to palm mute while you traverse string without lifiting your hand. This is something we have been working on for several Missions. I've been trying to help you train your hand to just tilt while keep contact with the bridge and picking with the thumb/first finger. You've finally got it!!

Congrats Soldier... You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Click to view attachment
CONGRATS Soldier. You've earned it!!! You are finally at that place where you are able to play with precision, in a consistent manner, and with a solid palm mute. You've got your foundational Skills and you are ready to Move forward!!!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 19 2020, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lesson #9 - Building Speed

Even though the title is "Building Speed" today is about perfecting my playing on time, and then I will speed it up.
I play at 160 BPM each note on each click.
Victor Simion
Play each note on each click increased speed from the last lesson.
Here I play at at 240 BPM.

Todd Simpson
MISSION 10 DEBRIEF

NICELY DONE!!!!! You are getting the hang of playing with a metronome. It is something that is worth learning and it does take some time but you have put in the effort and now you are reaping the rewards! This is a great step forward. You are able to strike and play on the beat. This means that when you speed up the clicks you can speed up your playing. When you hear yourself getting behind the clicks, start over. You can also play just a couple of bars quickly, and stop and wait to jump back in. That way your hand gets a break on very fast bits. Let's Debrief!!
*SYNCH OR SWIM: Hand synch is CRUCIAL on this lick. If you slip just once, it sticks out like a sore thumb as I'm sure you found out. So it's critical that each pick strike matches up with a fretted note. You are doing a great job on SYNCH now. Congrats!
*MUTE OR DIE: Due to the massive amount of string/fret traverse, you gotta keep a good palm mute on this guy or string noise will just wreck it. Your mute is spot on. Your hand position is much improved as well!
*AGGRESSIVE STYLE: This is a hard lick to play. It's to involved to play very fast but you manage to play it quite briskly and with precision. NICE!
In short you just....
LEVELED UP!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 22 2020, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.