Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 Practice Tips From Lisa X
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Todd Simpson
Here is a handy vid with four practice tips from legendary prodigy LISA X. These may seem basic and obvious to some folks, but then again it's guitar practice not rocket science so it doesn't have to be crazy complicated in order to work. Here is what worked for her.

Is it similar to your practice approach?

nicoweb
Thanks for sharing. Excellent video.

I'm currently working on a lesson with more or less this method.
Every day I work on the lesson part by part starting at 25% of the original speed and I increase by 2% each time.
After, I work a few minutes on the whole lesson.
Phil66
Nice find Todd,

Key here is learning how to learn, learning what suits you. Quality focused practise is what is needed.

Also, as a lad asked on a Facebook guitar group the other day, people tend to say things like, "I've been playing for three months how good should I be?". Three of Steve Vai's months would probably have been seven or eight hundred hours of focused practice, other people it may only be around eighty hours and not all focused.

Cheers

Phil
Todd Simpson
Sounds like a good plan!! I work the same way she works. Break it down in to chunks and isolate, then build back up. When gaining speed i usually try to increase in small amounts while keeping control. It takes time and repetition but it avoids sloppy playing which makes it worthwhile!

[Squote name='nicoweb' date='Apr 26 2020, 04:59 AM' post='777105']
Thanks for sharing. Excellent video.

I'm currently working on a lesson with more or less this method.
Every day I work on the lesson part by part starting at 25% of the original speed and I increase by 2% each time.
After, I work a few minutes on the whole lesson.
[/quote]

Well said Sir! That is, IMHO, the "ZEN" of Guitar. The most important thing is to learn how you best learn. So often, new players want a cut and dry, absolute answer on the "best" way to practice which is only natural of course, until they play a while and have to learn that learning how to learn is just part of the process.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 26 2020, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice find Todd,

Key here is learning how to learn, learning what suits you. Quality focused practise is what is needed.

Also, as a lad asked on a Facebook guitar group the other day, people tend to say things like, "I've been playing for three months how good should I be?". Three of Steve Vai's months would probably have been seven or eight hundred hours of focused practice, other people it may only be around eighty hours and not all focused.

Cheers

Phil

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.