Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eddie Van Halen - Gmc Tribute Collab
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Gabriel Leopardi
Hello guys! We've lost one of the biggest guitarists of all time: EDDIE VAN HALEN.

This collab is to make some music in his honor and to thank him for all the inspiration that he gave us. Eddie changed Guitar Playing forever.

Click to view attachment

Our dear GMCer Adam gave us the cool idea to start this tribute collab so here we are!

I've prepared 2 backings taken from THIS LESSON. You can choose one or play over both backings.

Backing 1: Click to view attachment

Backing 2: Click to view attachment

Scale suggestions:

Over the first backing, the best you can play is E minor pentatonic, E blues scale, and also add some chromatic notes.

The second backing starts in E major (from 00:00 to 00:12) and then modulates to E minor (from 00:12 to end).

DEADLINE: October 25th EDIT: New deadline: November 1st

If you are new to collabs please check out this: LINK

WHO IS IN?

FINAL VID:

Todd Simpson
First!!! smile.gif Count me in!!!

Todd
Kristofer Dahl
Very nice, looking forward to record over this one!
Phil66
I'll see what I can come up with, now, where's my flanger and phaser???

Kristofer Dahl
My take!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 9 2020, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll see what I can come up with, now, where's my flanger and phaser???

haha yes I missed that in my take, what was I thinking?! 😅
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 9 2020, 06:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My take!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

haha yes I missed that in my take, what was I thinking?! 😅

Oh yes!!! This rocks!! Great energy!!!!
Adam
I'm getting back into Collab thingy. I was going to join Gab's call and response one but I was late, so let me make up for that just now! smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 9 2020, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm getting back into Collab thingy. I was going to join Gab's call and response one but I was late, so let me make up for that just now! smile.gif

Oh! I'm sorry to see that you missed that collab!! You are welcome to this one (It was your idea!). Can't wait for your take!!
Adam
I'm going to push myself real hard and hopefully post a worthy take. With that said, I'll most likely post mine a few days before the deadline. I'd ask for some guidance in our Mentoring Thread, if that's okay. I'll explain my ideas in there.

I'm going all-out in this Collab and I hope it'll be worth waiting for.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 9 2020, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to push myself real hard and hopefully post a worthy take. With that said, I'll most likely post mine a few days before the deadline. I'd ask for some guidance in our Mentoring Thread, if that's okay. I'll explain my ideas in there.

I'm going all-out in this Collab and I hope it'll be worth waiting for.

Sure! Great plan. Let's work at the mentoring thread!
MisterM
Hi

Kris your take is just amazing !

I would listen to the rec but I would not participate, I leave the place to the shredder
Kristofer Dahl
Big thanks Misterm and Gab 🙏❤️

MisterM you can do it, trying new ground can lead to huge threshold experiences. You are ready for it!!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (MisterM @ Oct 11 2020, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

Kris your take is just amazing !

I would listen to the rec but I would not participate, I leave the place to the shredder

It's not only for shredders! Add your own style here mate! wink.gif
Caelumamittendum
Is this a video collab or audio only?

Did a video anyway:

Phil66
First ideas, any advice on playing, tone etc gratefully received.

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/evh-collab-oct-2020-test
MisterM
HI Gab, Kris
This morning I tried to play, it's ok - I'm in smile.gif

Cael
Very nice REC

Phil
Good tone and good idea smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 11 2020, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this a video collab or audio only?

Did a video anyway:

That's very cool Cael!! Great melodies and lines! I like your phasy tone too. Thanks for your take mate!

YES, THIS IS AN AUDIO/VIDEO COLLAB!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 11 2020, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First ideas, any advice on playing, tone etc gratefully received.

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/evh-collab-oct-2020-test

Hi Phil! You tone sounds great over this backing, and your take is also cool! I think that this one can work for the collab. The only thing that I would change is the ending... I would add some doble string ascending bends there to give it a more dramatic ending. But it's just a subjective opinion. smile.gif

QUOTE (MisterM @ Oct 12 2020, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HI Gab, Kris
This morning I tried to play, it's ok - I'm in smile.gif

Cael
Very nice REC

Phil

Awesome!!! I'm glad to know it MisterM!
Phil66
QUOTE (MisterM @ Oct 12 2020, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phil

Thanks buddy smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 12 2020, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Phil! You tone sounds great over this backing, and your take is also cool! I think that this one can work for the collab. The only thing that I would change is the ending... I would add some doble string ascending bends there to give it a more dramatic ending. But it's just a subjective opinion. smile.gif

Thanks Gab, I'll try to find out how to do those. Cheers
Todd Simpson
Cool take Phil and Ben!!! PHIL, gabe is just saying that a "big finish" is a good way to wrap up a solo. He's right of course smile.gif You can use any technique you want. E.G. Add a harmony, do a tapping bit, etc. So that the solo "builds" to a crescendo. I sometimes use a burst of speed, or pinch harmonic, etc. at the end as a sort of exclamation point, as it were, at the end of a musical sentence smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 12 2020, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks buddy smile.gif

Thanks Gab, I'll try to find out how to do those. Cheers

Victor Simion
Hi,

This is my first time joining a Collab,

I am planning on recording a video also, but this take is just to get some advice.
Phil66
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 12 2020, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool take Phil and Ben!!! PHIL, gabe is just saying that a "big finish" is a good way to wrap up a solo. He's right of course smile.gif You can use any technique you want. E.G. Add a harmony, do a tapping bit, etc. So that the solo "builds" to a crescendo. I sometimes use a burst of speed, or pinch harmonic, etc. at the end as a sort of exclamation point, as it were, at the end of a musical sentence smile.gif

Todd

Thanks Todd,

I've been thinking of using the whammy pedal. I want to do much more than what I do here but this is an idea. It was very rushed as I had to speak to my insurance for over an hour about that accident I had,

https://youtu.be/z1vxyhSEhLM
Todd Simpson
Better!! smile.gif It builds to the ending which is a good idea in a solo. Also, as this is an EVH tribute, a bit of tapping does seem appropriate smile.gif The first blues/box pattern you play, can you wag the vibrato a pinch more? I'm not sure if this will work given your recent issues that made playing or raising your arms difficult. I'd just like to see more drama in the vibrato, EVH often made use of exaggerated vibrato, so it seems fitting smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 12 2020, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Todd,

I've been thinking of using the whammy pedal. I want to do much more than what I do here but this is an idea. It was very rushed as I had to speak to my insurance for over an hour about that accident I had,

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Oct 12 2020, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

This is my first time joining a Collab,

I am planning on recording a video also, but this take is just to get some advice.

Hi Victor! Congrats on your first collab!!! smile.gif

I can say that this is a cool solo! I don't notice things to improve here. Everything sounds good here. If you ask me, my less favorite parts are:

- 00:14 : It sounds a bit out of tune or dissonant here. I would make a variation there to give the phrases a different ending compared to the previous one in the lower octave.
- 00:21: It's cool to add a bend there but I would try another note.
- 00:24: I also think that the note choices here are note the best one.

The key is that you try to use mostly E minor pentatonic instead or E minor during the riffing section.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 12 2020, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Todd,

Awesome! I like it much more now with that ending! One question, did you add those black lines to your guitar for this collab?? ohmy.gif
Phil66
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 12 2020, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Better!! smile.gif It builds to the ending which is a good idea in a solo. Also, as this is an EVH tribute, a bit of tapping does seem appropriate smile.gif The first blues/box pattern you play, can you wag the vibrato a pinch more? I'm not sure if this will work given your recent issues that made playing or raising your arms difficult. I'd just like to see more drama in the vibrato, EVH often made use of exaggerated vibrato, so it seems fitting smile.gif

Thanks Todd,

Yeah I need to work on my wide vibrato, not just the technique but also re-strengthening the muscles that do it. I've always struggled with wide vibrato and it's that bit more difficult now. One of the things is that it never feels like there is enough time to fit it in if that makes sense.

Cheers

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 12 2020, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome! I like it much more now with that ending! One question, did you add those black lines to your guitar for this collab?? ohmy.gif

Thanks Gab,

Yeah I added those lines purely for the collab, it came out quite well I think considering it only took five minutes smile.gif

Cheers.

Phil
MisterM
Hi

Here my rec, I'm proud to play with shredders.
I got a lot of fun with this one

I thought to allow the download this time smile.gif

Guitar only - Part 1

Guitar only - Part 2

Guitar Mix - Part 1

Guitar Mix - Part 2
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 13 2020, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Gab,

Yeah I added those lines purely for the collab, it came out quite well I think considering it only took five minutes smile.gif

Cheers.

Phil

You ROCK! Love how your guitar looks! Thanks a lot!! smile.gif

QUOTE (MisterM @ Oct 13 2020, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

Here my rec, I'm proud to play with shredders.
I got a lot of fun with this one

I thought to allow the download this time smile.gif

Wou!! Those are killer solos MisterM!! It's cool to see how all your hard work with GMC collabs is showing killer improvements in your own solos. Congrats and thanks!!
Victor Simion
Hi,

Thank you Gabriel for the feedback.

I tried another take.

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Oct 13 2020, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Thank you Gabriel for the feedback.

I tried another take.

Nice! Much better! The only issue that I hear here is the note at 00:36, which is C while A major is sounding in the backing. The correct note there would be C# that is part of the chord (it's major third). The minor third sounds out.
Phil66
Okay, this is going to have to be my final take, I've worn out my tapping finger on my right hand, it's not used to doing so much laugh.gif

I can give it another go if you really want to, excuse the mad face towards the end tongue.gif

By the way, nice take MisterM.

https://youtu.be/039R473JTrc

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/evh-october-2020-final-take-mix

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/evh-october-2020-final-take-guitar-only

Click to view attachment
PosterBoy
I was planning on re-joining the collabs gang, but I'm staying clear of this one biggrin.gif
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 14 2020, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was planning on re-joining the collabs gang, but I'm staying clear of this one biggrin.gif

You can do it mate! There is no need to go fancy, Eddie also had a super melodic side. Jam around and see if you can come up with something that sounds like it could be sung - then you know you have a good melodic lead going.
Phil66
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 14 2020, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come on buddy have a go, if I can do it you certainly can.

Go on pwetty pwease smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 14 2020, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Add your own style here! It would be GREAT! smile.gif
Victor Simion
Hi,

This is my take.

Let me know if it's ok.

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 13 2020, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, this is going to have to be my final take, I've worn out my tapping finger on my right hand, it's not used to doing so much laugh.gif

I can give it another go if you really want to, excuse the mad face towards the end tongue.gif

By the way, nice take MisterM.

https://youtu.be/039R473JTrc

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/evh-october-2020-final-take-mix

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/evh-october-2020-final-take-guitar

hehehe great one Phil!!! I love that Dime style ending!! Thanks a lot for you take my friend!

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Oct 14 2020, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

This is my take.

Let me know if it's ok.

Excellent!! You fixed that note!! This sounds epic Victor!! I'm so happy. This collab will be a monster one! biggrin.gif
Kristofer Dahl
Any more takes? 🤗
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 21 2020, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any more takes? 🤗

I'm working on mine!!! biggrin.gif

Who else is working? 5 days to deadline!
Todd Simpson
Working on mine too! smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 21 2020, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm working on mine!!! biggrin.gif

Who else is working? 5 days to deadline!

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 21 2020, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Working on mine too! smile.gif

Cool!! smile.gif
Steve Gilfield
Apologies for being late to the Eddie tribute.
Here is my take on the ballad backing track.
Can't wait to hear how everyone played!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Oct 22 2020, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apologies for being late to the Eddie tribute.
Here is my take on the ballad backing track.
Can't wait to hear how everyone played!

That's very nice Steve!! Thanks for your take!!
Adam
Life situation forced me to take a break and I missed the bluesy thingy but I'm going for the EVH collab as soon as I plug in.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 25 2020, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Life situation forced me to take a break and I missed the bluesy thingy but I'm going for the EVH collab as soon as I plug in.

No problem mate! We can extend the deadline!
Adam
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 25 2020, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No problem mate! We can extend the deadline!

Thank you! Could I get two/three more days? I'm still trying to get the general idea of the style and I'm not sure I can do it in 1 day.
tflava
Hello guys,

This is my first idea.
I think i'll work this one out.

Greetz
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 25 2020, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you! Could I get two/three more days? I'm still trying to get the general idea of the style and I'm not sure I can do it in 1 day.

Yes!! Take your time to polish it mate!

QUOTE (tflava @ Oct 26 2020, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello guys,

This is my first idea.
I think i'll work this one out.

Greetz

Cool!! I can hear EVH everywhere in this solo! It's a very nice tribute my friend!! Take your time to polish the tricky passages and then please share all your files for the final mix and vid.

THANKS!!!

As we have many takes coming let's set a new deadline so everybody can join!

NEW DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 1st
tflava
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 26 2020, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes!! Take your time to polish it mate!

Cool!! I can hear EVH everywhere in this solo! It's a very nice tribute my friend!! Take your time to polish the tricky passages and then please share all your files for the final mix and vid.

THANKS!!!

As we have many takes coming let's set a new deadline so everybody can join!

NEW DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 1st

Ok thanks man. I will practice the Licks and polis it and then record it. Thanks man
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (tflava @ Oct 26 2020, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok thanks man. I will practice the Licks and polis it and then record it. Thanks man

Excellent!! smile.gif
Adam
Having seen everyone's take, I feel like dropping the mic (or the guitar, in this case). I'm nowhere near that level. My competitive side wants me to at least try and that I'll do.
Todd Simpson
That's all anyone can ever ask of themselves smile.gif

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 27 2020, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having seen everyone's take, I feel like dropping the mic (or the guitar, in this case). I'm nowhere near that level. My competitive side wants me to at least try and that I'll do.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.