Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tflava's Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Gabriel Leopardi
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Gabriel Leopardi
Welcome mate!
tflava
Thanks mate. For my second or third time 🀣
I had to study more theory to have a solid background and understand more things. I also discovered in the last years what works for me and what not.

But i am glad to be back and Looking forward to work together with yall.

I have some things that i'm working on for the coming months .

I started the lesson rhytmic funk development from Diego budicin and wil working on that one. Im also working on the song sanitarium from metallica and wil revord it in a couple of weeks i think.

My goal is also to study the modes and im working on improvisation with it to cover 2 or 3 style in one mode and record it. They are the 7 normal modes but also 3 modes of the melodic minor and 2 of the harmonic minor.

For my Technique Am i focussing on my legato and study that from a lesson book. In the future i will also do bens land of legato and another legato song.

At least im working on latin improvisation. Rhythm and lead.

So as you can hear i do a lot but i've made a schedule so i don't forget my goals. My main focus is improvisation and i made and maybe will make some arrangement in different styles.

If its ok i will send you sometimes some improvisation or recordings so you can help me.

Thanks in advance man.

Greetz tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Tim!! Thanks for the update! I'm glad to know that you are back here and that we'll continue working together! Your goals and plan sound very good to me.

Feel free to share your progress, ask questions and posts improvs here every time you need it. smile.gif
tflava
Hey mate,

Here my first improvisation. Jazz ionian. I tries to stay in 2 areas with my solo and to end some times on the extensions. The 9th or 13th.

Greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate!! Nice first improv!!

The quality of your video is amazing! When practicing improvisation, and mostly when learning to improvise over jazz and fusion backings, I think that it's good to work on different concepts each day. In this Jam, I can see that you are exploring the scale shapes, and creating linear phrasing. It's very important to continue doing it to get more and more familiar with this type of phrasing.

The main thing that this improvisation is lacking is to use wider intervals in your phrases. This is a characteristic of jazz and fusion players.

Some concepts/techniques that helped me with this:

- Using Hybrid Picking.
- Superimposing triads and arpeggios.
- String skipping.
- Superimposing Pentatonics

Have you ever tried these ideas?
tflava
Hey mate.

Thanks. I recorded it with my audio interface this time.

Thanks for the feedback man.
I will focus on some wider intervals and will super impose some arpeggios. I think i will first super impose all the triads that excist with in the G major scale so i can hear what it sound.

And maybe later i can trie to superimpose the 4 note arpeggios over the chords then.

I will also try to super impose other pentatonics. I'll keep you updated. Thanks a lot
Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent!! Keep me updated mate!!
tflava
Hello man.

i'm also working on your song rock ballad licks.
here i have record myself at 70 bpm.
I will focus next week(s) on getting it at 82 bpm.

Maybe you have things where i have to care extra.

And do you play it clean or with a Light toch of overdrive?
thanks.

greetz tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Nice!! It's cool to see you playing this one!! smile.gif

This lesson is full of small details. You are playing the whole thing tight and clean except by the last lick that has timing issues.

I think that you need to continue playing this one in order to feel more comfortable with the different parts. You need to feel more familiar with the licks.

And then, the following things to polish are:

- Articulation: Notes duration.
- Bending and Vibrato
- Dynamics & groove

How?

Work again on smaller section trying to get the more of these elements.
tflava
Ok thanks. I will focus on it and try to practice each part seperate.

Greetz
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (tflava @ Oct 31 2020, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok thanks. I will focus on it and try to practice each part seperate.

Greetz

Great!! Keep me updated!!
tflava
Hey man.

here is my new jazz improvisation. I tried to superimpose the Bm7 and Em7 over it. And also to impose the B minor pentatonic scale over it.
The other triads didnt sound right for me over the track somehow. Maybe because of the 4 or 11th in it.

I also liked to play the F# minor pentatonic over it but didnt use it in this improvisation because it put me in the Lydian mode and i wanted to stay in Ionian. I also tgried to make wider intervals.

Here is also a rec from Rhytmic funk development. I have to studie hard on this one to get the groove and the licks under control and sometimes i rushed a bit. But i wanted to record it in this stage so you can hear the progress ( i hope so then laugh.gif )

Thanks in advanced mate for your help.

Greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate!! Good stuff here!

I can hear that you are using all those concepts now in your jazz improvisation. There is still room to get more comfortable with them but this is definitely in the right direction. I would continue working on this ideas while adding this two elements:

- Motif development
- Incorporating some jazz licks into your vocabulary (you can borrow them from Stephane's GMC lessons)

But again, those wider intervals and superimposing tricks are making your phrases more jazzy/fusion style. Keep going!

The rhythm lesson is also on the right track, but it obviously need more work in order to make all those grooves sound tighter. At this point, I feel that you should dedicate some time to work on small blocks instead of playing the whole thing over and over.

tflava
Allright thanks man.
I will try to focus on motifs now and try to incorporate all the other things. I have problems learning Licks because i forget them soon butt i will listen some more to jazz Licks.

I will also move forward to another backing track butt still practice the jazz sometimes to get more comfortabele with this style. Thanks

With the funk i will now work on the parts alone and build the speed from 50 percent using guitar pro. I will take another Rec over a week and see how the progress is then.
Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent! Everything sounds GREAT! smile.gif
tflava
Hey man.

Here i recorded the rock ballad.
I have problems with the speed lick in the beginning.
In the lick in 00.30 i used my fourth finger and a slide instead of my third finger but i will also trie to use my 3th finger and see if that works better for me.

greetz
Gabriel Leopardi
Cool!! This is getting better mate! Yes, those two parts need special attention so I would isolate the licks and work on them as exercises. These are also cool licks to incorporate into your own vocabulary when improvising.

Besides that, there is room to polish articulation and other details but this is much better now. You are on the right track!
tflava
Allright man. Working on it. I'll try to play those Licks every day to get the proper speed.
And i will sure incorporate that lick in my arsenaal πŸ’ͺ
I think that its good for me to use some more sequencial ideas like these Lick in my own improvisation.

I'll keep working πŸ‘
Gabriel Leopardi
Great! Keep me updated!
tflava
Hey man.

Here is an improvisation of me practicing my latin rhythm and lead.
I tried to comp in the background and play the changes.
I tried to only accent one or 2 notes during the 3 chord because its so short.
Im curious what you think about it. smile.gif

I also keep on practicing the funk.
This is a week further now so i thought i show yhou the progress.
What do you think of the tone? It is hard to fill tghe backing track zo i have a little delay. i thought it was ok but im curious to what you think about the guitar sound.

Thanks in advance man!

Greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate!! Great job here!!

Your latin jam sounds cool!! The first name that came to mind while listening is obviously Santana. That's why I would like to suggest working a bit more on phrasing, articulation and rhythm. His vibrato can also be good to take some inspiration. Notice how his phrasing is more defined, and how he uses shorter and longer notes, and repetitions to build his licks. I don't mean that you need to copy him, but you can get some nice ideas from his soloing and incorporate then in your own vocabulary.

This is just a random vid, search for him on Youtube:

(solo starts at 00:49)

The funky rhythm needs more work yet, but you are on the right track. You tone sounds good to me, it fits perfect with the backing track. I think that you should isolate the trickier sections to polish them.

Congrats on your hard work mate.
tflava
Allright thanks man.
Im a big fan of santana thats also why i want to study some latin rhythms and lead.
What do you think of the chord comping? I tried to use multiple chord out of de Ddorian mode and play different i version to maintain more knowledge of the fretboard.

I know what you mean with the phrasing and will work in it. Im gonna try to play with question en answer based ideas and use different rhythmic patterns. Then i will send it again.
Thanks for the feedback πŸ‘Œ
Gabriel Leopardi
Great! The rhythm and chords sound good to me. Not exactly the same rhythm but you can get some ideas from these lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bossa-Nova-Rhythm/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Quarta...he-Dorian-Mode/
tflava
Hey man.

Here i have an improv over the latin progression focussing on the phrasing aspect.
I tried to combine longer and shorter notes and use some question and answer ideas.
I'll hope this is a bit more of the feedback you gave.

greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Yes! This is a lot better mate. This is definitely the direction. I recommend you to continue exploring this type of phrasing. Focus on repetition, use of dynamics, silences, and all those elements that are part of Latin guitar soloing.

Some more inspiration... Salinas is one of the greatest guitarists from my country ever...

tflava
Hey man.
Thanks for the tip. What a wonderfull player. I listened to a few songs but i defintely going to listen more to him. i have to say that i like music with more complex harmonies more and more. smile.gif happy.gif

With the latin i will practice some different progressions which are common but i will now first focuss on a blues track. I like a lot of styles of music so i try to change the styles sometimes so i keep motivated and dont stop learning. I think i rather be a guitarist who can play a few styles good then to play one style insane smile.gif

But i will repeat the stuff and the feedback you gave me and everytime that i play something i hope to incorporate the past tips and feedback. So thanks al lot.

I also recorded the modern Rock ballad track from yours and feel like i want to put it in the REC zone this time.

And by the way very nice work with collab. Supercool with the vids of him mixed in.

Greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Thanks for your words about the collab! smile.gif

I think that your plan sounds good. Curiously Luis Salinas is known as one of the most versatile guitarists. You can't define him with one genre, he is a master of jazz, blues, rock, latin, folk, tango, and much more.

I'll check your REC take in a moment, so check my comment there!
tflava
Allright man. Thanks for the feedback. Im working also on the shred bootcamp with todd and i try to spend 20 minutes every day in practicing his excersises with metronome.
I think for the coming 2 week i will also take the 3 difficult Licks with it and gradually raise the tempo.
If it Dont works then then the speed part is behind my playing ability and i have to accept that. Thats also why im working with the bootcamp because i want to learn to play also faster Licks.
In the meantime i also start another lesson which is less difficult.
Sometimes i hear lessons that i really like but they are on the Edge of my ability but of i really like it i will give it a try if i think ut Could be possible. Just like with the funk lesson.

Maybe i can first record the funk in 80 procent till its good and then gradually work it with 5 procent. What do you think?

Im also still working on bens land of legato as an daily excersise. When i think its consistent i will record it. I think it is nearby.

Allright you will hear from me 😁😎

Greetz
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! Great plan!

Yes, recording and practicing the lessons at slower tempos is helpful. There is not only one way to do it, there are many methods that you can combine in order to master a lesson.

- Playing the whole lesson slower.
- Working on parts as mini lessons.
- Working on trickier licks over metronome, create your own variations as exercises.

You can't share lesson takes at slower tempos in REC but you can do it here, or at the practice room to receive feedback.
tflava
Hey man.

Yes i think i play some trickier parts witj a metronome.
Yes i meant to revord it slower and post it on my thread so you can look at it.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 13 2020, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey man.

Yes i think i play some trickier parts witj a metronome.
Yes i meant to revord it slower and post it on my thread so you can look at it.

Sounds great!
tflava
Hey man.

here a blues jam from me.

In the first 12 bars I tried to keep it very bluesy and play the minor pentatonic.
In the second 12 bars i tried to use more the 6ths of the chords to make it some more sweeter jazzy flavor.

And in the last 12 bars i comped the 1 and 4 chords with 9sus4 chords so in the improvisation i tyried to outline the 4 of the chords.

Waht do you think?

Greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Nice blues jam mate! I like your phrasing here. Your note choices are good on both sections. I don't notice anything wrong or that sounds too outside. This is a cool jam.

Trying to comment about the things that you can improve, I think that rhythm and timing could be good elements to work here. There are some moments (for example around 00:26/00:30) where your timing is not tight. This happens in different parts of the solo and is something normal when improvising, you just need to focus a bit more on it. Identify if there is a specific figure that is giving problems.

I also think that you can experiment more with rhythm, and articulation (as it happened with the latin jam). One thing that helps me is to listen to some masters for some minutes and then get back to practice. If you want to get more from their rhythm, you can try this experiment:

- Take a lick with a great rhythm, play it over a backing track. Make variations. Keep the rhythm but change the notes. Try things like that and your rhythm will improve,

By the way, congrats on your hard work!

tflava
Ok thanks a lot man.
When i listeners it back i also noticed that the rhythm lacks some diversity sometimes 😁
I think that i focused most on note choice this jam so im glad with your feedback so i can pay attention to it.
I will make another improvisation and now try to incorporate the rhythm but will still manager to make a good note choice. Maybe play some triplets or 16ths sometimes. And will listen to some nice blues players.

I also play every day with metronome with the bootcamp from todd and already notice some difference. When i practice it i also play the fastt lick from your modern rock ballad. I notice that i can handle the speed when isolating but then when i record its difficult to play it well. I think because how i have to hold my pick then or something. But ill keep trying.

Im also working on 3 other lessons so i don't have to play one song whole the time. But still focussing a lot in improvisation. So i, ll keep up and you will hear from me. 😁

Thanks as always

Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent! Everything sounds great mate. Looking forward your next take! biggrin.gif
tflava
Hey mate.

i just recorded the modern Rock ballad again.
The fast part is just a little above my level so i will quit this lesson now.
I will put it in the REC zone.
Im working for my speed with Todd and making progress but this part was just a little too fast.

I also sorted out what i wanted to play over the collab and i think its gonna be real nice.
I think i try to record it later this week.

greetz
Gabriel Leopardi
Great news mate! I'll check your new REC take and comment there.

It's also cool to know that you found the right input for the collab! Can't wait to hear it!
tflava
Hey mate.

I just recorded some things i am working on.
First is the Bens land of legato.
I'm seraching for the best hand position and also the transitions between chords are difficult.

Im also working on the B minor ballad. doe you think the vibrato needs wider?
I also going to workn on the legato part slower.

And at last i recorded again over the blues progression. i know tried to focus more on the phrasing and create a more blues rock sound.
I hope you like it.

thanks and im keep working on all the hings.

tflava
I notice that my vibrato is sometimes very Weak and inconsistent. What is the best way to practice it?
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate!! Great stuff here! smile.gif

QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 26 2020, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey mate.
I just recorded some things i am working on.
First is the Bens land of legato.
I'm seraching for the best hand position and also the transitions between chords are difficult.

Yeah! The problem here is when you connect the patterns. I don't see a problem with your right hand position, it looks natural from here. But maybe you need to try to do less strength, to relax it while playing.

The best way to polish the connections is to work on 2 patterns per time as a loop. That's what works for me and what I've seen that worked for students.

Im also working on the B minor ballad. doe you think the vibrato needs wider?
I also going to workn on the legato part slower.

The problem here is that you are not doing the vibrato movement from your wrist, and the same happens with bending. The first exercises here is exactly what you need to do and practice:

and this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

And at last i recorded again over the blues progression. i know tried to focus more on the phrasing and create a more blues rock sound.
I hope you like it.

Great! This is getting better. I think that you could learn any GMC blues lessons that is similar to this backing to you get new phrases and ideas and create your own variations while jamming. What do you think?

tflava
Ok mate. Thanks tor the advice. I will focuss on Small patterns with the legato and try to relaxx the hand.

With the vibrato im going to try it from the wrist.

The blues is a good idea but im working on a lot now. Im also still working on the funk but not so active.

Maybe you can help me to make a structured plan/scheduleπŸ‘ŒπŸ˜…

Im doing the bootcamp and want to do that structural and also keep doing improvisations. But maybe you van help me with which lesson to do first to focuss on a specific Technique.

Thats my probleem sometimes. I sometimes do 6 things for half and got very chaotic in my head. And then i can better do 3 things good.

But the bootcamp is good for my structure and i enioy to play improvisations. So thats what i sure want to do and maybe you can help me manage the rest.

Thanks in advance. I know im not the easiest person to work with πŸ˜‚
Gabriel Leopardi
Ok! Can you please make a list of the things that you are currently working and how much time you can practice each day?
tflava
Allright man in working on:

-shred bootcamp, 20 minutes every day
- improvising and theory (sequencing, scales arpeggios etc) this depends. I think 30 minutes to 1 hour.

- bens land of legato : every day 10 minutes i guess
- b minor ballad: sometimes i play it when i pick up my guitar
- funk rhythm workout : also play it sometimes when i pick up the guitar.
- Guido lesson advanced power chords : also sometimes when i pick up the guitar. Not in routine.

-ear training: every day for 10 or 20 minutes between work or before or after playing. It really helps me to find chord progressions or to find riffs ir lead parts.

I cannot say that i have 2 hours every day because it depends if ky daughter is to school or for how Long i have to work.
But i think in generally i practice 2 hours a day but dividend in 2 or 3 parts between the day.

Thanks

Ow and i forgot to say that in also working on a reggae song. But ill do that with a mate from my band so its not in practice time.
I only have to write a solo for my guitar but the rest is almost good. But sometimes i jam with friends and then we arrange something or just go for jamming.

I play with 2 bands. A reggae and a top 1000 band but we Dont practice now because of the corona
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate,

This is a lot of stuff, but you seem to be very organized. If you are comfortable and motivated I wouldn't change anything. However, if you feel that the blocks are too short for each topic, you could focus on 1 concept each day while the other would be just played twice or 3 times (5 minutes) to maintenance.

On the other hand, what I got from your schedule is that you work:

20 minutes of technique

30 minutes of improvisation

This is not bad at all. The key would be to work on 1 improvisational concept each day. Some concepts examples:

- Arpeggios (Major, minor, dominant, diminished)
- Modes of the major scale
- Triads
- Major blues improvisation
- Minor blues improvisation
- Following the chords with thirds.
- Horizontal phrasing.
- Scale sequences

and the list continues forever. Having a notepad with concept ideas is a good plan.
tflava
Yes thats real nice man. The problem that im feeling is that i don't spend enough time on 1 lesson and then maybe lose it. I sometimes think that its better to focus on maybe 2 lessons besides the bootcamp and improv.

I think for now that i will focus on the b minor ballad especially on my vibrato and bending and on the legato too smooth the transitions.

For the soloing im also working on a designer curriculum from musicians institute so i will take these concept also in jy improvisation and let you know then what was my main goal. Is that ok?
tflava
I was thinking one more thing. In the past i tried to study some Licks but at the end i always forget them after some weeks.
Maybe if ill do an improv i can study one lick and try to come up witj some variations and try to remeber it. What do you think?
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 27 2020, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes thats real nice man. The problem that im feeling is that i don't spend enough time on 1 lesson and then maybe lose it. I sometimes think that its better to focus on maybe 2 lessons besides the bootcamp and improv.

I think for now that i will focus on the b minor ballad especially on my vibrato and bending and on the legato too smooth the transitions.

For the soloing im also working on a designer curriculum from musicians institute so i will take these concept also in jy improvisation and let you know then what was my main goal. Is that ok?

Yes, this sound good to me. It doesn't make sense to work on many lessons if you can't connect enough with them. It's better to reduce the quantity and increase the quality of your practice.

Tell me more about the designer curriculum, I don't know what it is.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (tflava @ Nov 27 2020, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking one more thing. In the past i tried to study some Licks but at the end i always forget them after some weeks.
Maybe if ill do an improv i can study one lick and try to come up witj some variations and try to remeber it. What do you think?

Yes, that's the best thing that you can do. When learning lessons, the best way to incorporate those licks and ideas is to improvise over the backing creating variations of those licks, and connecting those licks with other ideas of your own.

This should be combined with the "concepts" idea that I suggested before, because it's always better to learn concepts instead of licks. The licks are usually forgotten, but concepts become natural.
tflava
hey mate,

yes that is something that i recognise lately. Im trying to improve the quality of my practice and see that i need an other method to work on the lessons then before. I started now with little licks from the funk lesson with metronome. Im also focussing on slowing down my vibrato and i think my problem is that besides i use my fingers more then my wrist i almost all the time pull down and not up and down.
So im working on it slowly. I think i have a good routine now where all the musical concepts and techniques i want to learn excist.

The curriculum is from a book that i own for a long time. It is designed for students that wants to learn theory en soloing excersis that you also get if you want to study music for school.
After each chapter there are goals presented and things you need to know and can play before you move on. Like:
- play a solo with use of arpeggios and mix it with the major scale.
- Combine different sequences. For an example a grouping of four but played like 1235- 2346 etc.
- Be able to play 2 patterns of the scale etc.

An troughout the book you learn to play the scales in fourths fifths and other sequences. You study all the modes. Minor and major key center playing. Make use of secondary dominants. Vertical soling. Use the harmonic minor modes, melodic minor modes and symmetrical scales. 3 notes per string scales So its very diverse and well organised and it helps me to have solid goals.

About the improvisations. With every new improvisation backing track i want to learn 3 licks and incorporate them in my playing besides the context. I started allready and i hope i then get a solid base of some usefull licks and memorize them also.

Like i said i try to study on a different way then before and accept that is better to learn slowly but effective then fast but messy.

So I'll keep on working happy.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent mate! How is your progress on that book?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.