Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tflava's Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Gabriel Leopardi
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
tflava
I just picked it up again to go slowly trough it from the basics 😁
When i have some time i will record something from it with a backing track. I try to record the collab tonight. Greetz tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Ok! You really need to work on those concepts, and once you master them, you can go for more musical concepts as well.

What's the name of the book?
tflava
The name of the book is:

All in one guitar soloing course: beth marlis and Daniel gilbert.

ITs published by hall leonard and the authors are from musicians institute. I believe its a music school in California.
Gabriel Leopardi
Nice! I'll check contents.
tflava
Allright curious what you think about it.
If you want some chapters i maybe can scan it and send it to you.

This week i an working on a funk track and a latin track for improv.

Here is a practice improv from the funk. I practice it for a week and then maybe record something.

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! I couldn't check it yet. If you want you can post here the table of content page. I was planning to check it at amazon but it's not showed there.

Your funky jam sounds cool. Good rhythm, groove, and use of silence. Good phrasing as well. Have you ever heard Scofield? You cold get some ideas from his funky albums.
tflava
Allright thanks mate 😁
Yes i know matt schofield hé has very nice playing.
I will look for some Licks.

I send you the table of content with email because the picture were too big for the thread.

Greetz tim
Gabriel Leopardi
I meant John Scofield!
tflava
Ow haha ok. I will look for him too 🤣
Gabriel Leopardi
BTW Matt is amazing!!
tflava
Hey man,

im working on my funk backing track and learned 3 licks.
2 of Matt schofield en 1 of John scofield.

yesterday night i was jamming with my buddie and we made our own funk backing track.
He played the bass and i played the guitars and keys. The drum is from studio drummer.

What do you think of it?
We wanted to develop something in the mixolydian mode. Maybe in tghe future i will make a solo over it.

Greetz Tim

Click to view attachment
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! Cool to know that you are learning new licks by them!!

The jam track sounds very cool! The best thing that you can do to train your improvisation is to jam with other musician! The track sounds groovy, you both did a great job!

Some ideas for the next jam:

tflava
Hey man,

Very nice vids.
We will definitely go for some blues next time and incorporate the Q & A idea from above. Thanks for the tips.

And is it possible with the collab that you put my name Tim under the vid instead of tflava smile.gif Its a really really old name that i dont like anymore but i also dont want to change all my emails and accounts and stuff cool.gif

Thanks greetz Tim
tflava
Hey mate.

Excuse me but i posted the B minor Balld in the Rec because it felt i had to do it.
I worked especially hard on the vibrato and trie to maintain it in my daily routine.
After this lesson i will focus on the Funk Rhythm and still on the legato.

greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Great Tim! I hope to hear your Q&A jam soon! smile.gif

Ok about your name on collab. I'll check your REC take!
tflava
Allright i think i will record it then with him the Jam 😁

Thanks for the comments about the Rec.
I think for me its better now to focuss on vibrato and legato on a daily routine.
Im working with todd in the bootcamp and i notice already a huge improvement in my hand sync so i think its also good to work in a daily base in the vibrato, bending vibrato and legato.

I thought if i work the next month on:
- 20.min picking workout
- 20 min legato
- 10 min vibrato
- 10 min bending vibrato.

I thought for the vibrato lessons i can use the lesson from ben vintaro odessey 5 you gave me and vibrato oddesey 3 which is bending vibrato.
And then maybe after every week i van Shoot a little vibrato vid so can you see if im doing it well.. 😅

Thanks for all the help
Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent plan mate! Great to know that my feedback is helping. You are progressing a lot, congrats!!
tflava
Hey mate.

I recorded my dorian funk improvisation.
Hope you like it. I incorporated 3 licks from others inside smile.gif
I also tried to incorporate 2 or 3 melodic sequences patterns.

Greetz Tim
tflava
Hey mate,

I practice every day the techniques and im really notice that im improving in my picking and also legato. I think i will keep this routine for a few weeks and then sometimes switch a different technique. So that i play every day 40 minutes of technique only switch the techiques sometimes. but first i wnat to have a good solid legato and vibrato smile.gif

here i have a Rec from bens land of legato. Is it good enough for in the REC and move on for bens land of legato 2, or should i practice it some more?

Here i recorded the vibrato lesson and bending vibrato im working on. So you can see if i use good technique or do i need to pay attention to some things. When i do the vibrato slowly its ok but when ill do it faster its difficult for me.

Thanks again. And you did a wonderfull job with the collab smile.gif

greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate, good job here!!

I think that both techniques are on the right track but you obviously need more time. There are two things to have in mind while practicing. The first one is that you need to try to relax your left hand when playing both legato and vibrato. The second one is related to bending and vibrato. and it's that you need to focus more the movement from your wrist.

Regarding REC, you always can share takes there in order to get more varied feedback. You are ready to start working on lesson 2, but you need to keep the first one in your daily practice for some more days.
tflava
Hey mate.

Allright thanks for your feedback.
With the vibrato, i push the string hard with my finger. Do i need to relaxx my finger more and the focuss on moving my wrist?

I will practice the legato more then and maybe out the lesson 2 also in my routine. 🙂

Greetz
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 14 2020, 04:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Allright thanks for your feedback.
With the vibrato, i push the string hard with my finger. Do i need to relaxx my finger more and the focuss on moving my wrist?

Yes! At least you need to find a balance between those two things. Pushing hard is necessary when you are playing Yngwie/Zakk Wylde style vibrato.

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 14 2020, 04:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will practice the legato more then and maybe out the lesson 2 also in my routine. 🙂
Greetz

Excellent!!
tflava
Ow and sorry btw what were your thoughts on the table of content of the book and on the funk improv?

Ow and sorry btw what were your thoughts on the table of content of the book and on the funk improv?
Gabriel Leopardi
I missed your funk jam! Sorry about it! I love this one. Your phrasing is very rhythmical in this one. Good use of call & response concept, and articulation. This is definitely the right track!

You just need to continue experimenting with rhythm since it tends to become repetitive after some time but this is very good mate congrats!

Regarding the book. Yes, I know that book and I think that it has a very good structure. It's a good first step to get the basics of improvisation. I think that you need to get into those concepts before we move forward. Also, each of those concepts can be expanded, but first get into what's covered there.
tflava
Hey mate, no problem! smile.gif

Yes i'm working in the background o the content of the book. In each chapter are also 32 or 3 sequencial phrases so i wnat to learn them also for at least on 2 patterns smile.gif I try to mix everything up to stay positive and keep motivated.
On the one hand i have the technique excersises which i continue to improve.
And on the other hand i have the improvisational side. Here i'm working on some compositions but also a lot of improvisations. I trie to mix up some different styles. I also use the book and work trough it slowly. Im now in chapter 6 or something. Some things here are allready familliair but i trie to focuss on the things i've gone trough too fast without understand the key concepts of it.
im also written a song for my wife and when its done i can maybe share it with you but it takes time to finish it smile.gif

So i think my goals for improvisations are:
- make improvisations in different modes
- Work at a slow pace trough the concepts of the book
- Working on latin guitar
-Working on the blues
- Try to start with vertical soloing onslow songs
- Go on with the collabs and compositions.

I want to mix these things up and work trough it on my own pace but also change between the goals to keep motivated.

I know it is a lot but for know i'm feeling like i got it under controle happy.gif

im very thankfull for your help because it really helps me a lot.

Cheers tim
tflava
Here a latin improv. Try to use. Some new melodic patterns. Some Licks of santana and some speed Licks from shred bootcamp. Sorry for so much text in the message before.😅

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! Your latin jams are sounding better and better! I can hear some Santana phrases here. It's good to see you experimenting with different rhythms. Those fast ornaments make a bit difference! As I always say, listening to the masters is the best for inspiration! Good job.

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 15 2020, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey mate, no problem! smile.gif

Yes i'm working in the background o the content of the book. In each chapter are also 32 or 3 sequencial phrases so i wnat to learn them also for at least on 2 patterns smile.gif I try to mix everything up to stay positive and keep motivated.
On the one hand i have the technique excersises which i continue to improve.
And on the other hand i have the improvisational side. Here i'm working on some compositions but also a lot of improvisations. I trie to mix up some different styles. I also use the book and work trough it slowly. Im now in chapter 6 or something. Some things here are allready familliair but i trie to focuss on the things i've gone trough too fast without understand the key concepts of it.
im also written a song for my wife and when its done i can maybe share it with you but it takes time to finish it smile.gif

So i think my goals for improvisations are:
- make improvisations in different modes
- Work at a slow pace trough the concepts of the book
- Working on latin guitar
-Working on the blues
- Try to start with vertical soloing onslow songs
- Go on with the collabs and compositions.

I want to mix these things up and work trough it on my own pace but also change between the goals to keep motivated.

I know it is a lot but for know i'm feeling like i got it under controle happy.gif

im very thankfull for your help because it really helps me a lot.

Cheers tim

Yes, this looks like a long list but it's more like a road map. You don't need to work on everything by once. You can take 1 concept each day or a few each week and you'll be practicing the right things to achieve your goal. I'll share something more. My idea is not to confuse you but to organize all these concepts that you listed here. This article summarizes everything you need to work in order to become a better improviser: https://www.guitarhabits.com/10-essentials-...-improvisation/
tflava
Hey mate.

Thanks its a good road map. I think im in the right routine for it 🙂 im also expanding with some Licks sometimes so i integrate it and try to repeat the licks i like.

Im also Looking to expand my practice Technique routine in the future so i can switch techniques sometimes. But i was wonderig what you think of putting sweep picking in it?
Do you think its usefull to spend some time on it?
I don't need to become a metal trash shredder but i thought maybe its good to learn a bit of the Mechanics so i can use Small parts of it?

Thanks in advance 😁

Ps Ill try to Shoot a legato vid in the evening

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the legato vid. Is it ok to post it in the REC and go on with the other legato lesson?

Here is a recording of the vibrato lesson. I notice that its difficult to do the vibrato on lower frets.
Im also thinking that its sitting more difficult then standing because i have less space by my elbow.
What do you think of it?

Thanks again mate
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Tim! Great stuff here!

The legato lesson is sounding very good! There are only some small details in connections between patterns but nothing too serious. I also think that you need to relax a bit more your left hand when playing it. That's why I would keep playing this one at least once every day. It's very good for REC!

Vibrato lesson still needs more work. It's a very demanding lesson, mostly when you have to play the faster parts. You're right about the difficulty of vibrato in lower frets. You need to use more strength to bend there.

Im also Looking to expand my practice Technique routine in the future so i can switch techniques sometimes. But i was wondering what you think of putting sweep picking in it?
Do you think its useful to spend some time on it?
I don't need to become a metal trash shredder but i thought maybe its good to learn a bit of the Mechanics so i can use Small parts of it?

Even if you don't want to play fast metal sweeps, this technique, is very useful for other styles. Consider alto getting into economy picking which is basically the same but more applied to scales instead or arpeggios. Another technique that I think you'll enjoy is hybrid picking.
tflava
Ok thanks mate. I will incorporate it into my practice routine and also hyprid picking in the future smile.gif

I notice i get some bored of the vibrato lesson but ill get the idea and think i know how to work on it.
I found a lesson what i think combine both so that im working on my vibrato but also in sweep picking.
Its malmsteen made easy from ben higgins.

I'll put the legato in the REC and go in with legato 2 but keep practicing the first one at least one a day.

Thanks again and you will hear from me 😁
Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent decision mate! Please do the same each time you get bored of a lesson or exercise. There is also a funnier way to practice a technique or concept. If you don't find it, just ask here! biggrin.gif
tflava
Allright mate thanks.

Ive just worked a few days with the funk rhythm and isolatie some parts and work with metronome.

I revorded in 80 procent and full speed.
What do you think?

Greetz and merry christmas in advance 😁👍
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! Great to see you working hard on this lesson.

I notice that you still need work at 80%. At this tempo, you can play the riffs clean and clear, but there is still work to do in order to adjust timing, and to make some parts sound groovier. You need to connect even more with the overall groove.

When playing the lesson at 100%, some links don't sound clear, the slides aren't sounding right, and most of the parts sound like "hurried". You are clearly now comfortable at this tempo. However, playing a bit at this tempo can help you to become more comfortable at slower tempos. So you can still play it a few times at 100%, and then try to increase tempo gradually from 80 to 100. Once you are getting closer to 100%, you can try a bit 110 or 120% to push it a bit more and try to make 100% easier.

tflava
Hey mate.

I will continue practicing the funk on 80 procent and try what you say about go to 120 procent.

Im also workig on the malmsteen. Here is a fast recording.

Im also gonna start with the collabs. I made a solo with my voice over the backing so i can practice the collab and ear trainig at the same time so ill hope i know what to play this week smile.gif

I've also made a song where i play all instruments and the voice. Maybe if im done with the mix i can send it to you, Its my first song that i try to mix myself.

Greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate!

Great stuff!! Nice to see you connected and working hard! smile.gif

I notice that you need to polish a bit your sweep picking technique. If you listen to Malmsteen playing this type of things, or Ben in the lesson, you'll see that the notes are muted as soon as the following note sounds. This can be achieved by muted a bit the strings with the palm of your right hand but also by moving a bit your left hand fingers to mute them. Please let me know if this is clear and if you need any more details about it. In other words, the notes of the arpeggio don't have to sound together as it would happen in a chord.

Check this lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginner-Sweep-Picking/
tflava
Allright thanks man. Its clear what you mean 😁 i have to focuss that i don't mute the strings to much but i will practice it and maling it better 👌
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 28 2020, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Allright thanks man. Its clear what you mean 😁 i have to focuss that i don't mute the strings to much but i will practice it and maling it better 👌

Yes, the key is to mute the string only to make them sound with less sustain. However, "how much you mute them" is also part of an artistic decision. You can make sweep sound muted or not, but what's important is to avoid to notes notes continue sounding as soon as the next one is played.

tflava
Hey mate.

I finished my song. Here it is smile.gif i've played all the parts and try to mix it. Im not a singer but ill gave it a try.
What do you think of it?

Greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Wow man!! This is beautiful!! She will fall in love again! biggrin.gif

Your singing is really cool! I can feel some Axl Rose vibes in the most energetic parts close to the end. I think that you had good potential mate!

Congrats on putting all this together!!
tflava
Thanks mate. 😁
The mixing is very hard and not so good as i wanted hut i don't want to spend too muchh time on mixing instead of my guitar.

What i like about makin an arrangement is that i don't need to think like a guitarist but more like a musicians.

Ps im working on the sweep picking part now and its getting better. The notes don't blend in eachother any more 🙂
tflava
Hey mate.

Im working now on the legato for 70 procent speed and it feels nice.
I recorded the Malmsteen lesson because i want to close it so i can start with another lesson.
I want to start with the lesson Bending made easy because then i practice on bending and vibrato. In the Malmsteen made easy leson is also picking involved buit i practice that on a daily base in the shred bootcamp.
So i stop this lesson, start the bending lesson and also incorporate some sweep picking excersises from a book in my daily routine.
Ill keep you updated smile.gif the Malmsteen is in the Rec.

Have a nice new year mate and thank biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Tim! I've just commented your new take at REC! Check it out!!

Thanks for the update here. Everything sounds GREAT! Congrats and happy new year my friend! smile.gif
tflava
Hey mate.

Here i have a recording of the funk rhythm development.
I will focus on it for one more week and then want to close it and learn another rhythm lesson to keep motivated. im working on this one for too long now.
Im also working on a reggae song of my own with a friend of mine. When its done i will send it. Its gonna be nice i think smile.gif

Greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! It's great to see you playing all those chords and riffs that clean! There are some moments, mostly in the second half that are sounding really groovy! There is still work to do in order to adjust timing, but you are getting close.

The first half tends to sound rushed. Focus on it when practicing.
tflava
Hey mate.

i've put the funk rhythm in the REC. i think that the first part is much better now.
I know its not perfect but ill want to go firther with another rhythm lesson to keep motivated smile.gif

I have sweep picking also in my daily routine now and it feels like it already pays off.
Im learning a sort of etude with 2 string mini sweeps. When i feel like its getting better i will record it for you so you can see if im doing the technique well :0

Before i start another lesson im gonna finish my reggae song and do another improvisation :0

I'll have to say that it feels like im making a huge progress since i have a solid practice routine and also stick with my routine tongue.gif

—-------------------------------
Hey mate.

This is one of the excersises i use for practicing the sweep picking. I also try 4 string and 3 string excersises.
I started at 60 bpm and this was 120 bpm. It was a little but too fast but just to give you an idea 😁

So thanks for al your help again.

Greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Tim! This is great! I also notice that you are progressing a lot! The hard work, and structure really pay off!

I'll grade your take at REC in a moment.

It's nice to see that you are already getting familiar with Sweep Picking technique. The most important thing that you need to work is timing. As SW is a natural technique, it can be easy to play it very fast, but the tricky part is to be precise with the tempo that you are working. Check your vid again and let me know if this makes sense.
tflava
Hey mate for the up coming time i will focus besided my daily routine on 2 lessons. Funk fusion groove from Diego and malmsteen bending from ben.

I will try another way to practice the funk. Normally i learned the whole part in once and the practice slowly etc. Now i will try to focus on 1 part of the lesson. When i mastered it at 90 procent i will go on with part 2 and repeat part 1. I think that i focus more on the details if i try it this way.

The malmsteen is just to keep working on my bending vibrato and vibrato. I notice it is already improved but it is still a weakness so i want to do this lesson as last one for vibrato and then try to incoroporate it in my daily practice and improv.

Greetz
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Tim!

Everything sounds good! These two lessons are great, and working on smaller sections is always positive. It's a very good plan. Please keep me updated on how it goes.
tflava
Hey mate.

i have send you the files for the collab. Im sorry but i couldnt get motivated to try another part so i will focus on next collab smile.gif

I've recorded a few things to show you. One sweep picking lick on different speed with metronome the way i practice it. Hope its the good way. Also the mini sweep etude part on 65 procent of full speed.

And today i tried the Legato lesson for the first time on full speed. It its too fast still so i keep going to practice on slower tempo's but its getting closer to full speed smile.gif

Have a nice weekend cool.gif

Greetz Tim
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! Thanks for the videos. Some feedback:

- 2 Strings Sweep Picking:

From what I can imagine here the rhythm pattern here seems to be based on triplets. However, you are not playing that rhythm. The first two notes are much shorter and the last of each pattern is longer.

Can you please share with me the original etude that you are using so I can give more specific feedback? Because if it's not based on triplets I would give a different feedback here.

- Sweep Picking practice:

This one is sounding tight. The timing is tight at slower tempos, but the faster tempos obviously need more time. I'm not convinced about your right hand movement, it's not consistent. You are doing some kind of random vertical movement which doesn't look natural. I also notice that it seems that you are still looking for the best way to to the motion and to anchor your palm. From my own experience and what I've seen in Sweep masters (like Malmsteen, Becker) is that the best is to do like a circle when doing sweep picking. You would do half of the circle when sweeping down, the other half when sweeping up (there is no sweep up in this case). However, this circle is very subtle. It can be exaggerated at first to get used but then it becomes very small.

Check some vids, for example this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Masters-of-Sweeping/

- Legato:

The problem here are again the triplets. (faster part of each pattern). You are playing them faster and in some cases you end the pattern too early. Maybe you could practice this at a slower tempo, and using the guitar pro file so you fix this issue. But at first, please let me know if you notice what I say.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.