Pages: 1, 2
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Claudio! Welcome!
ClaudioStrat
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 27 2020, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Claudio! Welcome!

Hi,

have not tried rhythmic lessons, but happy to work on the

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Funk-Workout/, sound like a good project to test a bit my rythm

glad you also think the Santana lesson is a good one for me

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Santana-Europa-Part-1/ lesson

I think these 2 should keep me going for a little bit (and off course the Blues Licks!!)

Cheers
Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent!! Let's go for them. I'm curious about the funk one.
ClaudioStrat
Hi Gabriel,

ok did the first 2 Funky exercises today, it seems alright. I quite like this lesson, nice workout.

What you think? so far so good?

yes I had to dust off the Strat for the Funk... laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 27 2020, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent!! Let's go for them. I'm curious about the funk one.

Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent!! Nice Strat mate! smile.gif

Based on this takes, I can say that your rhythm issue is more related to lead guitar. I think that these patterns sound good but there is still room to get more from that Stephane's lesson.

- Timing: Notice that you are playing a bit before the beat. Stephane plays totally tight. As this is a rhythm exercise, that's what I recommend you trying to do.

- Dynamics: I can heat that you are playing all strums with the same intensity. Listen carefully to the original lesson and see how the muted strumming is software, and there is also an overall 16th notes feel (which means that the first of each group of 4 notes is slightly accentuated). The second pattern sounds a bit better in this sense.

Let me know if you have any question!
ClaudioStrat
Thanks for the quick reply,
Sounds good and yeah didn’t quit get the dynamic thanks for spotting it, will pay more attention to that. Super

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 30 2020, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent!! Nice Strat mate! smile.gif

Based on this takes, I can say that your rhythm issue is more related to lead guitar. I think that these patterns sound good but there is still room to get more from that Stephane's lesson.

- Timing: Notice that you are playing a bit before the beat. Stephane plays totally tight. As this is a rhythm exercise, that's what I recommend you trying to do.

- Dynamics: I can heat that you are playing all strums with the same intensity. Listen carefully to the original lesson and see how the muted strumming is software, and there is also an overall 16th notes feel (which means that the first of each group of 4 notes is slightly accentuated). The second pattern sounds a bit better in this sense.

Let me know if you have any question!

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Oct 30 2020, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the quick reply,
Sounds good and yeah didn’t quit get the dynamic thanks for spotting it, will pay more attention to that. Super

Great! wink.gif
ClaudioStrat
Hi,
Still working on both, but wanted to share my first take on the Santana piece.
LP working a bit better for this one I find.
Cheers

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Claudio! Good job with this one! The main thing to adjust here is again timing. It's not as dramatic as the REC takes, but it's the element that you need to fix. You tend to rush the beat.

Do you usually practice playing over the instructor's take?
ClaudioStrat
thanks Gabriel,

yes I do practice over the instructor's take. When I do it sounds to me like i'm in synch with it... but then i might just do my own thing when I'm with the backing track?

when you say "rush the beat", could you elaborate it a bit when you have a second?

I really want to fix this!

Cheers,

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 5 2020, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Claudio! Good job with this one! The main thing to adjust here is again timing. It's not as dramatic as the REC takes, but it's the element that you need to fix. You tend to rush the beat.

Do you usually practice playing over the instructor's take?

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Nov 5 2020, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks Gabriel,

yes I do practice over the instructor's take. When I do it sounds to me like i'm in synch with it... but then i might just do my own thing when I'm with the backing track?

when you say "rush the beat", could you elaborate it a bit when you have a second?

I really want to fix this!

Cheers,

I mean that sometimes you play the licks faster than they are, and sometimes you play them a bit before you should do it, so it sounds like "hurried". One important question is... can you hear this in your video?
ClaudioStrat
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 5 2020, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean that sometimes you play the licks faster than they are, and sometimes you play them a bit before you should do it, so it sounds like "hurried". One important question is... can you hear this in your video?

there a few place where i think i can hear it, but i suspect i still can't hear it in many place
Gabriel Leopardi
This is what I hear:

00:03: Those notes are rushed.
00:10: timing is irregular.
00:14: You play these 3 notes a bit before. (rush)
00:21: The same here. You need to work on this rhythm pattern.
00:25: Not completely tight.
00:29: Not completely tight.
00:40: Same
00:48: similar.
After that, the following licks sound tight! Just practice a bit more those bends.

Now doing a deeper analysis, I noticed that you tend to have issues with the same rhythm pattern and it mostly happens when there is no drums. It also happens in other parts, but it's more important when there is no drum marking tempo. This is normal and means that you need to work on your internal rhythm. You need to be able to keep tempo when there is no metronome or/drums.

ClaudioStrat
thanks Gabriel,

this is very useful, going to work on it!!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 6 2020, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what I hear:

00:03: Those notes are rushed.
00:10: timing is irregular.
00:14: You play these 3 notes a bit before. (rush)
00:21: The same here. You need to work on this rhythm pattern.
00:25: Not completely tight.
00:29: Not completely tight.
00:40: Same
00:48: similar.
After that, the following licks sound tight! Just practice a bit more those bends.

Now doing a deeper analysis, I noticed that you tend to have issues with the same rhythm pattern and it mostly happens when there is no drums. It also happens in other parts, but it's more important when there is no drum marking tempo. This is normal and means that you need to work on your internal rhythm. You need to be able to keep tempo when there is no metronome or/drums.

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Nov 6 2020, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks Gabriel,

this is very useful, going to work on it!!

Great!!!
ClaudioStrat
Hi,

worked on those points, thanks again and can I can hear it too now!
I realized I was missing a "pause" on bar 1, 2 and 3 unsure.gif (and the repeats of those licks too obviously), so that was prob one of the reasons of the irregularities... in the rhythm

hopefully now a bit closer

PS i'm also really enjoying this Dorian scale/mode which is the first time i encounter, doing a bit of studying of it too since i'm on it

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Claudio! Yes! This is much better! There is still room to adjust timing, mostly in the parts without drums, but it's great to hear that you are improvising your timing! Have you been practicing over the original take? Keep doing it!
ClaudioStrat
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 9 2020, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Claudio! Yes! This is much better! There is still room to adjust timing, mostly in the parts without drums, but it's great to hear that you are improvising your timing! Have you been practicing over the original take? Keep doing it!

Hi,

thanks, glad you have also noticed the improvements!
Yes a bit of playing over the original lesson and looking at original tabs (which differ a bit from the lesson but just a little).
will have a closer look at the parts without drums, to see if i can spot it too

Cheers,
Claudio
Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent job! Keep the hard work mate.

PS: I wanted to say "improving" not "improvising" in my previous post. laugh.gif
ClaudioStrat
Hi Gabriel,

Been practicing this a bit more, Realized a few more mistakes I was making, hopefully better now. Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Claudio

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! This is a lot better! All the things that I've marked in the previous list are improved, except by the parts at 00:03, 00:25 and 00:29 that still need to sound tighter.

You can also work a bit more on those final bends in order to polish pitch and to make them sound smoother. Also, be sure to use the other fingers to help your third finger when doing vibrato.

Your progress is impressive make, congrats!
ClaudioStrat
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 15 2020, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mate! This is a lot better! All the things that I've marked in the previous list are improved, except by the parts at 00:03, 00:25 and 00:29 that still need to sound tighter.

You can also work a bit more on those final bends in order to polish pitch and to make them sound smoother. Also, be sure to use the other fingers to help your third finger when doing vibrato.

Your progress is impressive make, congrats!

Hi Gabriel thanks,

the fast lick at 00:25 I was actually playing something different than the one in this lesson (taken from a tab, so I finish at the 8/8/8 on the E/B/G string), but I can try to play the same as in this lesson, slightly different sound, should not be an issue just need to get use to it

on the Vibrato and bends, i get it too your point, especially the 3 bend in a row i do not get them always perfect.

I have a question on the 00:03 and 00:29 (which is the same lick), any advice on what I'm doing wrong there or what I can do to make it sound tighter? it is pretty close when i listen to it, but I can hear there is something small missing, but not sure what actually.

cheers

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Claudio! The parts at 00:03, and 00:29 have two differences:

- The timing is not precise. I think that you can find it easier if you practice adding a 8th note metronome to be sure that you are playing the notes tight. Even the first note is imprecise.

One exercise that can help is to count 8th notes over the original lesson to see how the notes go with the tempo. Check this audio: Click to view attachment

- The duration of notes is slightly different.
ClaudioStrat
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 16 2020, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Claudio! The parts at 00:03, and 00:29 have two differences:

- The timing is not precise. I think that you can find it easier if you practice adding a 8th note metronome to be sure that you are playing the notes tight. Even the first note is imprecise.

One exercise that can help is to count 8th notes over the original lesson to see how the notes go with the tempo. Check this audio: Click to view attachment

- The duration of notes is slightly different.

Thanks so much!
Gabriel Leopardi
You're welcome!! Keep me updated!
ClaudioStrat
Hi Gabriel,

I have changed a couple of things. The last 3 notes before the vibrato on that fist lick are actually 16th notes which I was ignoring...What do you think?

Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent! Now you are playing the phrase well. Nice to know that the feedback helped to understand it. Well done my friend!

You can not continue playing this one to add more feeling and to make those last part bends smoother, but you are very close. Congrats!
ClaudioStrat
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 19 2020, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent! Now you are playing the phrase well. Nice to know that the feedback helped to understand it. Well done my friend!

You can not continue playing this one to add more feeling and to make those last part bends smoother, but you are very close. Congrats!

thanks, feedback was super useful as usual. Will try to polish it with a bit more practice on the bends

Claudio
Gabriel Leopardi
Great!! Keep on the good job!!
ClaudioStrat
Hi Gabriel,
Here we go, what do you think?
Cheers,
Claudio

Gabriel Leopardi
Great! You just need to polish a bit that lick at 00:25, and when playing vibrato, try to focus the movement from your wrist. Also, when using your 3rd fingers, you can use 2 and maybe 1 pressing the frets too to help the one that is doing vibrato.

Your timing issues are now fixed. This take could also be shared at REC so you get some extra feedback from other instructors.
ClaudioStrat
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 26 2020, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great! You just need to polish a bit that lick at 00:25, and when playing vibrato, try to focus the movement from your wrist. Also, when using your 3rd fingers, you can use 2 and maybe 1 pressing the frets too to help the one that is doing vibrato.

Your timing issues are now fixed. This take could also be shared at REC so you get some extra feedback from other instructors.

Thanks I’ll share now
Gabriel Leopardi
Great! The cool side of REC is that you receive many points of view so I always incentive students to share takes there frequently.
ClaudioStrat
thanks,
absolutely, feedbacks are always good. Came a long way since the first attmept, thanks again for your help!

I am now starting to get the Vibrato point that also Kris mentioned in his feedback, so i think i can definitively improve that by adding the 2nd finger and 1st and also moving the wrist/arm. Just need to focus on it, which so far i didn't. I have noticed it adds stability/controll, so will defiy add that and post a new attempt to get your thoughts at some point.

alongside practicing this one, I'm starting to think about the next lesson, got a few ideas i'll pass by you later

cheers

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 26 2020, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great! The cool side of REC is that you receive many points of view so I always incentive students to share takes there frequently.

Gabriel Leopardi
Great Claudio! Yes, that's how you can fix your vibrato issues. Use those fingers and practice.

I'll wait for your suggestions. wink.gif
ClaudioStrat
Hi,

there are so my nice lessons in here that is so difficult to choose!!!
ok so was thinking looking at these 4:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pop-Rock-Solo-Beginner/
a nice one, good mix of techniques

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/BB-King-Blues/
a bluesy one, with quite bit of vibrato, a good one to give my vibrato a boost, + love BBking

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla...loforbeginners/
this one is different, really like I and think it might be a good one to give my vibrato a boost

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...in-rock-lesson/
this one i really like, santana style, do you know the author? wink.gif (some parts are quite quick but i can probably get there with some practice on the guitarpro), i think probably this is the hardest for me now

what do you think would be the best for me to work on?

Best,
Claudio

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 27 2020, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great Claudio! Yes, that's how you can fix your vibrato issues. Use those fingers and practice.

I'll wait for your suggestions. wink.gif

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Claudio! I think that these 4 lessons are excellent choices for you and that you should work on each of them. I can only suggest an order to work them, but you can start with the one that you want.

1. Neoclassical
2. Pop Rock
3. Latin
4. BB Blues
ClaudioStrat
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 28 2020, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Claudio! I think that these 4 lessons are excellent choices for you and that you should work on each of them. I can only suggest an order to work them, but you can start with the one that you want.

1. Neoclassical
2. Pop Rock
3. Latin
4. BB Blues

top thanks, will start with 1.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Nov 28 2020, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
top thanks, will start with 1.

Great!
ClaudioStrat
Hi,
Hope all is good. Working on the neoclassical lesson, almost there but need more practice.

In the meantime I did practice my vibrato on the Santana piece.
I know the second part is not perfect on this take, but wanted to have your feedback on the vibrato in particular if you can see any difference.

Thanks

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Claudio,

Thanks for the update! Great to know that you are working on the neoclassical lesson. That lesson is also good to train your vibrato technique.

Your vibrato is getting better on Santana's lesson. I noticed that now you are using your other fingers to help the one that is pressing the fret. This helped a lot.

Santana's vibrato has always been very fast so this lesson is obviously very demanding. I think that your technique is improving but that you still need more time to feel more comfortable. Your vibrato needs to be more consistent.

Neoclassical solo requires wide but slower vibrato. It will surely help as a previous exercise to master this one as well.

ClaudioStrat
Hi,
Hope all well!
Below my first recording of the neoclassical Solo.
Probably a few things to iron out, but wanted to share to see what do you think?

Ps really enjoy learning those licks melodies , yes very different vibrato style.
Used the neck pick ups, sounds a bit better than way.

Claudio

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 8 2020, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Claudio,

Thanks for the update! Great to know that you are working on the neoclassical lesson. That lesson is also good to train your vibrato technique.

Your vibrato is getting better on Santana's lesson. I noticed that now you are using your other fingers to help the one that is pressing the fret. This helped a lot.

Santana's vibrato has always been very fast so this lesson is obviously very demanding. I think that your technique is improving but that you still need more time to feel more comfortable. Your vibrato needs to be more consistent.

Neoclassical solo requires wide but slower vibrato. It will surely help as a previous exercise to master this one as well.

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Claudio! Thanks for the video!!

It's nice to see that you've learnt all parts and that you are playing everything clean. There are 3 elements to have to improve:

- Timing: This one should be the main one to fix. You tend to rush the licks in many parts. I recommend you to practice playing the lesson a bit over the instructor focusing on rhythm.

- Vibrato: Your vibrato still needs to work to sound consistent. Remember that the motion should start from your wrist and that you can use the other fingers to help the one that is pressing the fret.

- Bending: There are many half step bends missing here. Review this technique once you fix the timing issues.

Ok mate, that's all by now. This is on the right track. Work on one of these elements per time and let me know if you need any help!
ClaudioStrat
Thanks mate. I can see it now. Already working on it!
Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Great!
ClaudioStrat
Hi,

Ok I know this is not perfect (probably overbended) but I think I fixed some timing issues and also trying to work on vibrato, which is quite different from previous video.
That’s why wanted to share to see what you think?

Thanks in advance

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Claudio!

Good job! The 3 elements are better in this one: Vibrato, bending and timing.

There is off course more work to do but you are definitely on the right track now. The vibrato is still weak and irregular but now you are doing the right movement. You just need to get used to this type of wide vibrato, and to be able to play at the current tempo.

One thing that you can do to practice vibrato is to play over Ben's video but slowed it down (using the player slow downer tool). This will also help you to improve timing.

PS: The second video is set as private.
ClaudioStrat
Hi,

Thanks. For the feedback. I’m away for a couple of weeks, will practice for sure (even have more time now) but not sure Will be able to do recordings as I’m on my headphone amp.

One question on vibrato, I think I start to understand these ideas, but not sure. When you have a minute using this last recording could you point to one vibrato that was on the right track (Assuming there is one!, lol) and another that was wrong and why?

Best,
Claudio

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 21 2020, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Claudio!

Good job! The 3 elements are better in this one: Vibrato, bending and timing.

There is off course more work to do but you are definitely on the right track now. The vibrato is still weak and irregular but now you are doing the right movement. You just need to get used to this type of wide vibrato, and to be able to play at the current tempo.

One thing that you can do to practice vibrato is to play over Ben's video but slowed it down (using the player slow downer tool). This will also help you to improve timing.

PS: The second video is set as private.

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Claudio, thanks for the update! I hope that you have a nice vacation!

The first part of your solo is where your vibrato movement is closer. (for example at 00:07). There you start the movement from your wrist, and it's regular. However, it's still not connected to the backings groove, and is not growing gradually as it should be.

Again, this is the best you can do during the next weeks:

ClaudioStrat
Hi Gabri
Happy new year!

Back at it. I have worked on vibrato and timing. What do you think?

Best,
Claudio

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.