Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Apple Silicon Macs Are Here
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Mertay
From music production perspective (specially near end of the post)

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production...QlE6gi9on9FXnnM
Kristofer Dahl
Those numbers sure sound crazy impressive!
Todd Simpson
Yup! Here they come smile.gif I talked about this transition in that long post I made about the new version of mac os being released. Bottom line is that there won't be any real difference between mobile and on mobile for mac folks. One application, for example LOGIC X, will run on any apple device, eventually. So we won't have phone apps and desktop apps. They will all be the same thing in the Mac universe.

Also, it makes a LOT more money for apple. They own ARM (the folks who make the chips all apple gear will run on) so they don't have to buy anything from intel and they are they not bound to the intel upgrade cycle. Yup, complete vertical integration. They pretty much own it all, end to end. This has been a goal of Apple for quite some time and it's finally coming in to reality. I am interested to see some real world benchmarks. I'm always suspect of "up to" 10x faster, claims. It's a brave new world. looking forward to seeing how it works out wink.gif

The transition may be a bit wonky though. Everything, literally everything has to run in "emulation" mode on any current mac using an INTEL chip running the new MAC OS. Emulation typically slows things down a bit. I've got the new os on my iphone, but not on my laptop yet. Going to wait a bit.
Click to view attachment
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 10 2020, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From music production perspective (specially near end of the post)

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production...QlE6gi9on9FXnnM

Mertay
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 10 2020, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The transition may be a bit wonky though. Everything, literally everything has to run in "emulation" mode on any current mac using an INTEL chip running the new MAC OS. Emulation typically slows things down a bit. I've got the new os on my iphone, but not on my laptop yet. Going to wait a bit.
Click to view attachment

It won't be like running 2 languages at once like I feard, things will be installed depending on the computer. I suspect rather than power/speed the problems will be related to "bugs".

The post gave a great example of the switch made from x86 to x64, pc guys will relate to this much better. Today (for example in reaper) any x86 plug-in will work but crashes are common.

3rd party developers will fix these as things progress, but with mac as usual backward compatibility will be the biggest of problems (even worse as this is not only os but chip related too). We might see people looking for old mac's 10 years in the future for opening an old project.

My advice is freezing every track in a mix when it will be archived. It's not a perfect solution but based on my experiences trying to open 10+ year old project it will work best.
Todd Simpson
Running the new OS on INTEL hardware is going to be slower than running on APPLE SILICON. No way around it. Running emulation is just slower. Which is why I probably wont' upgrade my intel macbook to the new operating system. Not to mention the fact that my version of premiere (the last one that doesn't require a subscription) won't run on the new OS.

Exporting the "Stems" of a project with and without plugins active is a time honored way to archive projects. That way you have the original tracks and the plugin affected track as reference. Opening 10 year old projects is almost always a challenge on something like reaper or pro tools since any plugins must be present, etc. On logic it's a bit easier since so much stuff is built in and fewer plugins are needed. Still, just exporting the stems is often easier. I do keep a disk image of my old boot drives for such reasons. If I need to, I can boot from an old drive, and open an old file.

There will be a big transition period in the music/film/tv production world as it's so heavily mac based. It is impressive though that the macbook air can edit 4k footage without dropping frames. smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 10 2020, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It won't be like running 2 languages at once like I feard, things will be installed depending on the computer. I suspect rather than power/speed the problems will be related to "bugs".

The post gave a great example of the switch made from x86 to x64, pc guys will relate to this much better. Today (for example in reaper) any x86 plug-in will work but crashes are common.

3rd party developers will fix these as things progress, but with mac as usual backward compatibility will be the biggest of problems (even worse as this is not only os but chip related too). We might see people looking for old mac's 10 years in the future for opening an old project.

My advice is freezing every track in a mix when it will be archived. It's not a perfect solution but based on my experiences trying to open 10+ year old project it will work best.

Gabriel Leopardi
Wow!! Maybe it's my time to finally switch to Mac?
Phil66
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 11 2020, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow!! Maybe it's my time to finally switch to Mac?

Resist going to the dark side Gab, resist!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 11 2020, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Resist going to the dark side Gab, resist!

laugh.gif
Mertay
It's not a best option to jump on automatically yet anyway, cause the cpu is designed for portable use (even though included in mac mini).

It's actually 2 stage cpu, 4 small and power efficient cores and 4 big to handle demanding needs. So if someone wants a computer mainly for desktop use they should wait for further offerings.

PS AMD and intel already have such cpu configuration too for laptop's but I don't know if they're released yet.
Todd Simpson
We have not seen any real benchmarks yet people. So far it's all "up to 10x faster" which means nothing. I really want to see real world benchmarks with real world apps like adobe premiere etc. Apples to apples comparison on exporting, video playback, etc. The macbook air and mac mini are typically the weakest offerings in terms of performance. They are currently comparing the apple silicon air to the old intel based air. The old intel based air was never a powerful machine, neither was the mini. Both suffered from very bad graphics performance. The mini is very similar to the air in terms of graphics power in previous models. I am hopeful, but I'm also a bit skeptical until I see actual benchmark numbers. They have sorta taken the guts of a new ipad pro and stuffed it in to a laptop and a mini. This works well for apple as they can have the app store and apps that work on mobile and desktop devices. So it may be a bit early to pull the trigger. Still, I bet we will start seeing real world tests soon smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.