Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vocal Effect Chain
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
PosterBoy
I know every situation is different and every voice is different

What would you use as a starting point for a natural fairly intimate vocal in terms of compression Reverb and delay,

I find a lot of presets even to use as a starting point is way too much if I'm trying to do a vocal and guitar track and just want to polish it up a little from the dry source.
Mertay
Yes tonal sculpting of vocal recordings can be tricky as they're very sensitive. I'd stay away from presets and instead listen in louder room volumes to self sculpt.

-Tube saturation is the first to come to my mind which can be very helpful. Sometimes the compression they give as a side effect can be a solution for not using a comp. at all. Check your vintage gear emulation plug-ins, increase their input and decrease their output to see if they give a color you like.

-I always try an auto-tune plug-in set to the lowest correction setting. It's rather for glue'ing the sound to the mix rather than auto-tune it.

-I've been posting about spectral eq's on GMC for a while now. They are amazing but has a bit of a learning curve (can be used for deessing too).

-Spend time on deessing by listening the vocal itself in louder room volumes. Careful not to over do it but it can be the desired subtle compression effect one might be looking for at times.

Reverb and delay is such a universe depending on the song, specially if you have more sound design in mind rather than a natural sound the freedome is too much to put rules or even advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.