Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steve Vai Talks About Playing With A Light Touch
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Todd Simpson
Wisdom of the ages smile.gif About 10 minutes in

Phil66
That's something I really need to address, thanks for sharing cool.gif
Sensible Jones
Steve always seems to tell it exactly how it needs to be said!!
Storm Linnebjerg
I certainly always tell people to try with as little pressure as possible. Sometimes people and new players seem to think a lot of strength is needed. Of course, if you have really high action it might be more needed than with low action. But I usually think that the more strength you use, the more risk you have of pushing notes out of tune. I guess it's a combination of the right pressure and a good ear to hear when things sound "bad". Now, I don't have much sort of pitch, in all honesty. I can hear when a chord sounds bad or out of tune, can recognize minor/major, 7th chords and perhaps some 9s. That has come through years of playing, but I can't tell you just by hearing some notes if it's a Gmajor7 or a C#maj7, unless you give me a guitar or piano to try and figure it out. Anyway, I'm rambling and took off on a tangent smile.gif
Todd Simpson
Some licks/bits may call for increased hand pressure on picking or fretting, but I'm with you, and Mr Vai. I always suggest using the minimum amount of hand pressure instead of the max.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 21 2021, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I certainly always tell people to try with as little pressure as possible. Sometimes people and new players seem to think a lot of strength is needed. Of course, if you have really high action it might be more needed than with low action. But I usually think that the more strength you use, the more risk you have of pushing notes out of tune. I guess it's a combination of the right pressure and a good ear to hear when things sound "bad". Now, I don't have much sort of pitch, in all honesty. I can hear when a chord sounds bad or out of tune, can recognize minor/major, 7th chords and perhaps some 9s. That has come through years of playing, but I can't tell you just by hearing some notes if it's a Gmajor7 or a C#maj7, unless you give me a guitar or piano to try and figure it out. Anyway, I'm rambling and took off on a tangent smile.gif

Steve is the man!! Every video I watch from him contains pearls of wisdom.

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ May 21 2021, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve always seems to tell it exactly how it needs to be said!!

Mr vai nails it per usual!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 21 2021, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's something I really need to address, thanks for sharing cool.gif

Phil66
At 07:50 that's exactly the reason I pay classical position wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.