Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Setting Up Action By Yourself.. Operation Hard?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Asphyxia Feeling
I really cannot play my guitar anymore sad.gif . i start playing and i feel disgusted. the action seems broken, the strings feel very tense (bending feels dangerous) and just ugh. you see, i spend the last month and a half visiting my 16 year old cousin's house. he has a perfectly set up ESP MH-400 tuned to D standard. after spending so much time on his super-low-but-not-so-low-that-it-buzzes guitar, with really-super-slinky-feeling-strings, mine just doesn't cut it. while i realize that the string tension is probably because it's in D standard, the action on my guitar is still awful.

i've been trying to set up the action by myself (the nearest guitar shop is half an hour away, and they won't set up guitars... the nearest one that does is two and a half hours away), but i'm having difficulties. the action on the guitar is really low at the head, like first three frets. down at the 24th fret, the action is REALLY high. i can't lower the action without getting irritating string buzz. after doing some reading, i'm guessing this is because of (could be wrong here) the truss rod? i've made small adjustments to the truss, but it doesn't seem to do anything... does it take a while to adjust? unsure.gif

anyway, yeah. i'm pretty stumped at this point. what is GMC's advice?

EDIT: here's the guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=519783
MickeM
QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ Sep 1 2007, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really cannot play my guitar anymore sad.gif . i start playing and i feel disgusted. the action seems broken, the strings feel very tense (bending feels dangerous) and just ugh. you see, i spend the last month and a half visiting my 16 year old cousin's house. he has a perfectly set up ESP MH-400 tuned to D standard. after spending so much time on his super-low-but-not-so-low-that-it-buzzes guitar, with really-super-slinky-feeling-strings, mine just doesn't cut it. while i realize that the string tension is probably because it's in D standard, the action on my guitar is still awful.

i've been trying to set up the action by myself (the nearest guitar shop is half an hour away, and they won't set up guitars... the nearest one that does is two and a half hours away), but i'm having difficulties. the action on the guitar is really low at the head, like first three frets. down at the 24th fret, the action is REALLY high. i can't lower the action without getting irritating string buzz. after doing some reading, i'm guessing this is because of (could be wrong here) the truss rod? i've made small adjustments to the truss, but it doesn't seem to do anything... does it take a while to adjust? unsure.gif

anyway, yeah. i'm pretty stumped at this point. what is GMC's advice?

It sounds like the neck is bent convex... but... I suppose it should run further than 3 frets. Some guitars have a second "tilt" where the neck is bolted to the body. You got anything like that?
The Uncreator posted some while ago instructions on how to check if a truss rod adjustment is needed, maybe it's in the gear FAQ.
Asphyxia Feeling
i don't believe there is a second tilt, unless it's somewhere i can't see.

i tried finding uncreator's topic, no luck sad.gif

i tried lowering the action on E, but now when i fret anything past 14th fret the string buzzes at like 17th fret. so frustrating!
Asphyxia Feeling
just would like to say that i took the time to take into the shop. goodbye 65$ sad.gif
MickeM
QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ Sep 5 2007, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just would like to say that i took the time to take into the shop. goodbye 65$ sad.gif

Ouch, hope it will return as new so you can feel it's worth the money.
Anomaly
QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ Sep 5 2007, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell us what did they have to fix when you get it back.
Nick325
maybe??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.