Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Strings Make It Harder To Play?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
JOhn
i recently got changed the strings on my ibanez and it feels like a different guitar in a bad way. im pretty sure its the strings because it happened on my old guitar to.
Pavel
It must be the strings. I love new strings on the guitar! smile.gif
Robin
New strings are always better. Are you sure you didnt change the thickness on the strings? Going from 0.9 to 0.10 can be a living hell in the start smile.gif
SLASH91
Yeah, man. You must have accidently bought strings with a higher guage or something, because New strings always feel better to me too.
JOhn
if i did change it by accident its not my fault because i didn't know the original string gauge and dam not ill have to do the floyed rose thing all over again the get back to 0.09
fkalich
QUOTE (Robin @ Sep 8 2007, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
New strings are always better. Are you sure you didnt change the thickness on the strings? Going from 0.9 to 0.10 can be a living hell in the start smile.gif

Just the opposite for me. If I put a 9 on, my thoughts are "this is awful".

Very different sizes. I realize that all with the most rudimentary level of education understand this, but you may not have thought about it.

The size of a cross section of a cylinder is radius squared x PI. As PI is a constant, the radius is the factor to consider. Here we have strings with radius of 9 and 10.

9 squared = 81
10 squared = 100

so a 10 is almost 25% more massive than a 9.

And it gets worse with an 8. A 10 is over 1 and a half more massive than an 8.
Wyvernx
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 8 2007, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just the opposite for me. If I put a 9 on, my thoughts are "this is awful".

Very different sizes. I realize that all with the most rudimentary level of education understand this, but you may not have thought about it.

The size of a cross section of a cylinder is radius squared x PI. As PI is a constant, the radius is the factor to consider. Here we have strings with radius of 9 and 10.

9 squared = 81
10 squared = 100

so a 10 is almost 25% more massive than a 9.

And it gets worse with an 8. A 10 is over 1 and a half more massive than an 8.

Wow! that's crazy! I never thought that deeply about the gauges of strings. I always get those Pink Ernie Ball ones, what can I say? I like em'!
muntahunta
Power Slinkey's for me, size 11 biggrin.gif it just feels right tongue.gif
Pavel
Nothing more than 9-42! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.