Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Behringer Compressor Sustainer Reveiw
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
mattacuk
Wiki link
Andrew Cockburn
Great review Matt, sounds like huge value for money - I spent roughly 10 times that on my Keeley - really makes you think smile.gif
mattacuk
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 2 2007, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review Matt, sounds like huge value for money - I spent roughly 10 times that on my Keeley - really makes you think smile.gif

yeah i spent a good £100 on my Keeley - still i do like it biggrin.gif Ive looked at some other Behringer pedals and they all look good.
MickeM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Oct 2 2007, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[Overall Impression In comparison to the Boss CS-3 unit, i actually prefer this pedal. I had the CS-3 and i found it a waste of space. It coloured my tone, had week sustain properties and i couldnt wait to sell it on ebay. I actually feel Behringer have outdone themselves with this item, and it has introduced me to the fact i shouldnt always look at the most expensive option.

Good review! smile.gif

I'm surprised the Boss CS-3 and the Behringer CS-100 sounded different, giving the CS100 the upper hand, since Behringer make their pedals as complete rip offs of known pedals. CS-100 would be a copy of CS-3 with visual similarities left to guid the users to the original.

So buying a Behringer pedal is like buying a copy of an original.
Like my EQ-700 is a rip off of Boss GE-7.
Like the TO800 is a rip off of Ibanez's famous tubescreamer TS808
etc etc etc
mattacuk
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 2 2007, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good review! smile.gif

I'm surprised the Boss CS-3 and the Behringer CS-100 sounded different, giving the CS100 the upper hand, since Behringer make their pedals as complete rip offs of known pedals. CS-100 would be a copy of CS-3 with visual similarities left to guid the users to the original.

etc etc etc

I have no doubt you are right biggrin.gif But i really had a thing about the CS-3, i just didnt like it ! smile.gif
Saoirse O'Shea
Great review Matt,
and pleased that you're enjoying the compressor smile.gif . Just as an idea - trying different attack settings for funk and chicken picking.

Cheers,
Tony
mattacuk
Thanks Tony, i will try that this evening before i start my shred fest! biggrin.gif
Muris Varajic
Just saw this review Matt,awesome,thanks!! smile.gif
As Andrew said,I'm thinking of trying it for real,I have Boss and who knows,
maybe eBay will do the job once more wink.gif
mattacuk
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 4 2007, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just saw this review Matt,awesome,thanks!! smile.gif
As Andrew said,I'm thinking of trying it for real,I have Boss and who knows,
maybe eBay will do the job once more wink.gif

I got mine of ebay too Muris! smile.gif
Rock
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 2 2007, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good review! smile.gif

etc etc etc

I agree that the Behringer is a very good value for the money and compares very closely with the CS-3. My only issue is the quality. If you have the extra money, the Boss is built like a tank and will last forever. I just don't want to have to replace a pedal in a year or two because it does not stand up, so in this department you get what you pay for. As far as the hiss, I am sure for the extra money that Andrew spent, that Keeley pedal is even quieter. What I did in order to avoid the big Keeley markup was purchase the Boss CS-3 and for about $4 in components modified it based on designs at Indyguitarist from Brian Wampler. Not sure why Boss wouldn't just spend that few extra bucks and put the higher quality components in from the start because after I modified it I was shocked at how much of the hiss was removed. I can still hear it a little bit but now only at very high settings of sustain. If you don't want to spend the time you can buy a new pedal already modified and if you have the pedal already they will modify for you for around $50. I chose to do it myself since for only $25 I was able to modify my MT2, DS3, RV3, and GE7 as well.
Andrew Cockburn
+1 for mods smile.gif

I will probably do more of this myself now I am getting an electronics lab and huge reduction in disposable income (buying a new house).

And yes, the Keeley is extremely quiet - hiss is always a problem with compressors.

Having said that, I still think the Behringer is Monster value for money.
mattacuk
I didnt realise Keeley did a compressor! which model did you get andrew??

You know if i dont get my TS9 soon i may kill somone laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
MickeM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Oct 6 2007, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know if i dont get my TS9 soon i may kill somone laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif (Andrew? blink.gif )

As I mentioned, Behringer TO800 is made from TS808, close to TS9.
Maybe a cheaper and as-good alternative.
mattacuk
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 6 2007, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I mentioned, Behringer TO800 is made from TS808, close to TS9.
Maybe a cheaper and as-good alternative.

I have just checked it out on youtube and i must say, very very good!
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Oct 6 2007, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didnt realise Keeley did a compressor! which model did you get andrew??

You know if i dont get my TS9 soon i may kill somone laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

4 Knob - but I wanted control of attack (that's the knob that annoys you on yours Matt!) - Attack is useful for getting a certain kind of clean sound. If you are just using the compressor for sustain it doesn't really matter. The 2 knob is by al accounts also an excellent device - but they are pricey smile.gif
mattacuk
Looks like you guys get a bigger selection!! sad.gif
MickeM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Oct 7 2007, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like you guys get a bigger selection!! sad.gif

I don't - You can comfort yourself with that smile.gif
mattacuk
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 7 2007, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't - You can comfort yourself with that smile.gif

Thanks Man....I will!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif
Kristofer Dahl
Awesome stuff Matt - great to see a review from you! biggrin.gif This is going to the main page.
mattacuk
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 8 2007, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome stuff Matt - great to see a review from you! biggrin.gif This is going to the main page.

Thanks Kris, im honoured you like it biggrin.gif I will do more reveiw in future smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.