Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guitar Grimoire
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
Understudy
Wiki link
Muris Varajic
Fine review Ronnie! smile.gif

Could you tell us the price and post some link maybe,where to find/buy it?

Thanks!

Muris
SDMF75
Whatever you guys do buy the book only! I bought the DVD and while it is informative it's absolutely the stupidest guitar instructional I've ever watched. The instructor has this phony demonic voice the entire time and he's sitting on this throne with Gargoyles on either side of him. I couldn't even watch all of it.....it's pathetic.
Understudy
Hi Muris,
The cost is listed as $23.95 US, I got it on sale for $19.16 US @ Barnes&Noble.com . Used copies are also available on the site for around $14.95 US .

I also got the Guitar Grimoire Exercise Book. It was my birthday this week, so my wife and mother each got me a book smile.gif. The exercise book I have only flipped through so far but it has tons of 2 nps, 3 nps, 4 nps etc. Once I read it through I will post a bit about it if anyone is interested. With the lessons here at GMC and these books it can only improve a player, great tools to make us more versatile and individual in styles smile.gif
botoxfox
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Oct 24 2007, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatever you guys do buy the book only! I bought the DVD and while it is informative it's absolutely the stupidest guitar instructional I've ever watched. The instructor has this phony demonic voice the entire time and he's sitting on this throne with Gargoyles on either side of him. I couldn't even watch all of it.....it's pathetic.

Sounds funny to me... tongue.gif
Freddie Fourfingers

I also have the video, and I must agree. It might be a REAL demonic voice for all I know, but it's ridiculous. He is also shrouded in some sort of monk/ewok robe that obscures his face, and REAL LIGHTNING BOLTS zing between his picking and fretting hands when he plays (in the beginning), making him a human Tesla coil. Add to that a "frame" around the video of ACTUAL BURNING FIRE and now you get the picture. I have no doubt that he knows what he is talking about, but the theatrics distracted me from learning anything. It's like trying to absorb a physics lecture while listening to clown music.

On a positive note, the material is very informative and well laid out in the entire Grimoire series. The books are well worth the money. There is nothing in the video that is not covered in the book.
SDMF75
QUOTE (Freddie Fourfingers @ Dec 31 2007, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also have the video, and I must agree. It might be a REAL demonic voice for all I know, but it's ridiculous. He is also shrouded in some sort of monk/ewok robe that obscures his face, and REAL LIGHTNING BOLTS zing between his picking and fretting hands when he plays (in the beginning), making him a human Tesla coil. Add to that a "frame" around the video of ACTUAL BURNING FIRE and now you get the picture. I have no doubt that he knows what he is talking about, but the theatrics distracted me from learning anything. It's like trying to absorb a physics lecture while listening to clown music.

On a positive note, the material is very informative and well laid out in the entire Grimoire series. The books are well worth the money. There is nothing in the video that is not covered in the book.

ewok robe - laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Yeah, I'll pick up the books at some point but the DVD is sitting on the shelf and I may just go list it on Ebay. I certainly wouldn't sell it to a GMCer!!
shellshock1911
I've currently got the scales and modes book and would have to say it is really awesome, but only for the people that actually know how to use it. I let a kid borrow and it and he used it as just a scale encyclopedia, which it is much more than that. Other cool things about it include interval map in every key, mode generator, and it shows what chords go with the scales, and shows the scale formulas and how they relate to the parent scale.

I'm getting the Progressions and Improvisation volume soon, I ordered it a couple days ago, so I'll let you guys know how it is.
Ivan Milenkovic
Nice idea for the review man, very interesting. smile.gif
Alucard
I've also recently picked these books up, and I must say they are excellent, especially the exercise book!
Toni Suominen
Great review, I have to check these books out! smile.gif
Slammer
I just bought the Scales and Modes book today.

So far seems pretty good.
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Slammer @ Jan 14 2008, 03:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just bought the Scales and Modes book today.

So far seems pretty good.

No more questions like,what G chord is,right Slam? laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif
Fran
Do you guys know of any online place in Europe to order this book?

Seems interesting smile.gif
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (Fran @ Jan 14 2008, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you guys know of any online place in Europe to order this book?

Seems interesting smile.gif

They are all on amazon.co.uk or whichever amazon you have in your country.
Joe Kataldo
I Sell Mine! Right now I'm using it to rise up my lcd monitor, never used it I really don't like books with a lot of schematics, I'm old style :-D I prefer staff and notes not diagrams tongue.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Joe Kataldo @ Jan 14 2008, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I Sell Mine! Right now I'm using it to rise up my lcd monitor, never used it I really don't like books with a lot of schematics, I'm old style :-D I prefer staff and notes not diagrams tongue.gif

I prefer ears cause my eyes are weak laugh.gif laugh.gif
Slammer
QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 14 2008, 05:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No more questions like,what G chord is,right Slam? laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

1-3-5

G-B-D

biggrin.gif
Paul Coutts
I've been interested in these books, but I never really got round to checking them out. The Progressions one seems most interesting to me I think smile.gif
Hisham Al-Sanea
great review
drw84215
does any1 have experense with the Carl Fischer The Exercise Book for Guitar
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.