Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropped C Tuning :rolleyes:
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
jammer91
Heres the thing, ive never dropped C tuned before. I know the notes for the tuning: D,A,F,C,G,C but have restricted my self from playing dropped C songs cause of a reason...

My puny yamaha tuner does not have the C and F notes (it only has the string names of standard E and sharps, flats and natural).

Now im just wondering, is B# the same thing as C and E# the same thing as F?

Im doing a cover of room 409 by BFMV with a few friends this weekend and so need to get some practice asap.
Owen
Drop C Tuning is CGCFAD not as you say "D,A,F,C,G,C", you drop the C down from D standard which is DGCFAD.

If you cant get C and F notes just tune your second string down to G and then tune the first string to the 7th fret of the G string(which is C btw), then tune the same way as you would in E standard ie the 5545 method.
Robin
http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/ you can find drop C tuning and lots of others on that website.
botoxfox
Get yourself a chromatic tuner
Robin

Get a Peterson tuner! I dont know how many other tuners nowdays that are as accurate as these.
Fabian Schulz
looks like a gameboy biggrin.gif
Robin
QUOTE (Fabian Schulz @ Oct 25 2007, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
looks like a gameboy biggrin.gif

Thats what I always get at gigs. I'm just sitting there, tuning my guitar, and other bands/artists/crew are walking by, and they're like "hey whats that? A gameboy?", and I'm like "yeah".

"kewl."
Fabian Schulz
QUOTE (Robin @ Oct 25 2007, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats what I always get at gigs. I'm just sitting there, tuning my guitar, and other bands/artists/crew are walking by, and they're like "hey whats that? A gameboy?", and I'm like "yeah".

"kewl."

laugh.gif laugh.gif
jammer91
QUOTE (Owen @ Oct 26 2007, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Drop C Tuning is CGCFAD not as you say "D,A,F,C,G,C", you drop the C down from D standard which is DGCFAD.

If you cant get C and F notes just tune your second string down to G and then tune the first string to the 7th fret of the G string(which is C btw), then tune the same way as you would in E standard ie the 5545 method.

sorry i inversed it.... THanks for pointing that out smile.gif

Heres my problem my tuning. My tuner does not have C and F notes:
http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_ma...maha_yt-120.jpg

As you can see it has one standard E notes and sharp, flats and naturals

I have to make use of those so....

-Is B# the same as C and is E# the same as F?

THanks (i bolded stuff to save you guys reading time)
KRmachine
yes

edit: although the b and # on that tuner just tells you if the note is flat or sharp from the E, it doesn't say how much, so it will probably be useless.
Owen
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=3860&st=0

A look at andrews basic theory would help you here;

A, A#/Bb, B, C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab

As you can see, these are the 12 semi-tones in an octave - Western Music.

There is no such note as E# (E-sharp) only Eb or E-flat which in itself is the same as D sharp and so on and so forth.

Even if your tuner does not have E and F notes you can still tune the second string to g and use the by ear method I mentioned above. Alternatively you can also go to the website Robin mentioned and tune by ear using the tuner there.

I also remembered you mentioning you have some form of line 6 product before, Gearbox has an inbuilt tuner, you can tune your guitar using that instead of the yamaha one if necessary.
MickeM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Oct 25 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry i inversed it.... THanks for pointing that out smile.gif

Heres my problem my tuning. My tuner does not have C and F notes:
http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_ma...maha_yt-120.jpg

As you can see it has one standard E notes and sharp, flats and naturals

I have to make use of those so....

-Is B# the same as C and is E# the same as F?

THanks (i bolded stuff to save you guys reading time)

Either get a new tuner that can handle downtuning or tune what you can and then use ear and fiddle around to find all tones. I've got a Korg tuner, GA30, that can tune several semi tones flat. About $20 and it does what it's supposed to. A good enough inexpensive tuner.
jammer91
SO basically this means i cant use E# on my to denote E and likwise for B# to denote C?

They dont sell Korg tuners in my area and im looking to by a line 6 pod (havent decided which one) so i cant buy a chromatic tuner.

PLUS>>>> I only have one day to more to drop tune and learn the song Room 409 fully (with loads of exams coming up)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.