Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Guitars
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
peixe
Hi all you guys!

I need some help in choosing a guitar to change to. At the moment I play a Ibanez SAS36FM and I really like it. It plays wonderfully. BUT! I want a guitar with a little more sustain and weight to it. Preferably an Ibanez because I really like how they feel, but the thing is that I rarely use the wammy bar so that's not really something i need.

This is what I look in the guitar I want:
Allround guitar
Humbucker pickups
(no wammy)
easy played

Give me suggestions please! smile.gif

Thanks a lot!
Andrew Cockburn
You just described a Gibson Les Paul perfectly ... if you canlt afford a standard at $2000, there is a studio version at $1000, and Epiphone copies around $500 or less.
Smikey2006
anyone who knows me knows what i will say smile.gif. Schecter is the way to go for your all around guitar choices. They are awsome looking sound and playing guitars. They aren't as easy to shred on as ibanez but ive never had any problems with playing anything so your not losing alot no whammy as the bridges on most of them are threw neck. they are also very good looking guitars if you go into the gear review section you can read a review of my c1 exotic star which is probably the best guitar ive ever played.
steve25
How much are you looking to spend? Ibanez do some nice guitars but some can be quite expensive
peixe
Thanks guys! Maybe I should write how much I can spend on the guitar, not more than $1300 dollars.

The Gibson is very nice, but I want a little bit more of a "shred" guitar. I play(try) a lot of Steve Morse, Satriani, Petrucci stuff, so more into that category of guitar type.

A big problems for us guys outside the US is that guitars are so much more expensive here(sweden). And most US websites that sell guitars don't ship anything outside the US. Too bad.

Keep on giving me alternatives! biggrin.gif Very fun!
Unleash-The-Shred
Smikey is right about Schecters. LP's can be used for shred (Zakk Wylde, etc.). I would also suggest Jackson, Brian Moore, Ernie Ball, Fender (most have a wammy though), ESP, Dean, PRS (can be very expensive though), Carvin (you can build your own or choose from already designed models) and Warmoth will also build you a guitar if youd like to do that.
peixe
Thanks alot! biggrin.gif I will look into everything and try to find what I want!
Unleash-The-Shred
QUOTE (peixe @ Nov 12 2007, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks alot! biggrin.gif I will look into everything and try to find what I want!

I think you should really check out Dean Hardtails. You can get them with or without wammy bars (I think most don't have them). I've never played one but from what i've seen from them they look awesome, sound awesome and play awesome. MAB plays them so that should give them a good reputation. laugh.gif

Here is the Dean website, they are on this page that I have linked.

http://www.deanguitars.com/electrics.htm#hardtail

Here is a video with MAB playing one check it out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UiT6qtM09tI
peixe
Yeah! That's a really nice guitar I must say!
Unleash-The-Shred
One more thing. Any guitar can be a "shred" guitar. You just have to have the skill to play it.
peixe
Yes I am very aware of that! Just that I am more used to "smaller" guitars. Love the LP's when I play jazz, but on a daily basis, playing pop, rock with friends and practising at home, I want a more lean guitar if you understand! smile.gif
Unleash-The-Shred
QUOTE (peixe @ Nov 12 2007, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I am very aware of that! Just that I am more used to "smaller" guitars. Love the LP's when I play jazz, but on a daily basis, playing pop, rock with friends and practising at home, I want a more lean guitar if you understand! smile.gif

Ahh ok, well maybe that Dean Hardtail will do that for you.
peixe
Yes! I want to thank all you guys for giving me alternatives. I will look into what I can get and afford, and then I'll se what to buy! biggrin.gif
Unleash-The-Shred
Let us know what you get. biggrin.gif
peixe
Of course I will!
steve25
I'm liking that dean guitar, and the player of course he rocks. I'm loving the look of the emerald green and midnight blue usa hard tails though
Unleash-The-Shred
I've always loved Hardtails. I want to try one out but none of the shops in my area sell Dean guitars.
botoxfox
If you want an Ibanez you could check out the RGA series.
steve25
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 13 2007, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always loved Hardtails. I want to try one out but none of the shops in my area sell Dean guitars.

Can't you phone them up and have something arranged so you can try them out. They look and sound amazing i am definitely going to keep those in mind for the future.
axelsson
You should go for the Paul Gilbert signature model, PGM301 smile.gif

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_top.ph...3&SERIES=52
lefty01
Check with Muris. He has a line on some great custom stuff. I'm sure the builder would be willing to ship to you. smile.gif He had a posting on here a few days ago about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.