Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tapping Question
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Mackietao
I´ve been looking on some guitarvid´s including Dahl-man and they always say you should tap downwards with the right hand. Thing is when I played guitar before I was in some areas selftaught so I am picking upwards. I´ve been testing tapping downwards tonight and it was a bit tricky in the begining but it shouldn´t take that much time bringing it up to speed. Right now I´m waaaaay faster with the up-tapping.

So my question is: Does it matter which way you tap? Does downward tapping hold any benefits unknown to me? Because right now it seems that it the same way of movement. Just oposite way. You attack the string in the same way, make the same sound. Easier to mute other strings? Easier for speed?

Give me your thoughts please smile.gif
The Uncreator
Essentially, it produces the same effect, so if up works best for you going up, why not?

Ive seen some people do that before, so i dont think there is any danger in it wink.gif

The speed and muting issue is totally independent for each person, do what works best for you.
Tuubsu
Well, It doesn't matter for me. I tap upwards even though I can tap both ways with equal speed.
I would just say it's the same don't worry about it.

Only thing that might matter could be muting. because when you have a "anchor" finger from the left hand it mutes the upper string next to the string that you are tapping but it doesn't mute the lower string next to the string that you are tapping, so you might get some unwanted string-noise if you tap upwards, but then again I don't get any string noise eventhough I tap upwards, so I might say you can tap upwards if you know how... cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.