Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Line6 Toneport Ux1
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
Pages: 1, 2
Ivan Milenkovic
Wiki link
Chris Evans
Wow you like your reviews Ivan, and you do them well too m8! biggrin.gif

I was going to buy one of these, I think they really are great, but have now got a podxt live coming for christmas instead, but I`m sure I wouldnt have been disappointed for sure, great bit of kit biggrin.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Yeah podxtlive is way better than UX1 and a great gift! I wish you all well with it! smile.gif Unlike this one, the podxtlive HAS onboard effects proccesing, so when you connect it to a computer CPU is not affected at all while you apply the effects. Also it has much more effects than TonePort (although every Line6 product IS upgradable and that is great thing!! smile.gif ). You can also run it on gigs, although the sound quality for that purpose is not by my standards really. Its just me, though, i`ve seen a few people who play with those (off cource they can`t beat the pedals but they are very practical and versatile).
coffeeman
Ivan,

Thank you for that awesome review. I own a Line 6 Toneport , and Im very happy with it. I had to sell my amp because I was moving and I wasn't using it really, so I start loooking for an interface on the internet and I found this one. I bought it online, so I bought without testing it first and I have to say it is an awesome tool. All the recording that I have posted in the forum including the videos have been made with the Toneport. Now I have to change my laptop but that's another subject.

So I recomended 100%.

Thanks.

Bye
Ivan Milenkovic
You`re welcome man, I`m glad you like it. I use it mainly for pilot and demo recordings, for lessons I use DI out from my amp since it is slightly better. But nevertheless great device for SURE!! smile.gif
Nick325
i have another version of the toneport and its awsome
Alex Lewis
Gotta agree this thing rules I have the UX2 version which has two xlr inputs with phantom power as well as digital out and two footswicth inputs.

I would also recomend rifftracker as well cos you get it for $100 rather than $200 (when you've got a toneport) and its really simple to lay down tracks and comes with instant drummers which are so easy to set up.

Excellent review though

Cheers
Bogdan Radovic
Great review ! I have the UX2 version of it and it worked great for me ,recording demos/vocals everything..It can be used nicely on a lap top computer..Also there are downloadable expansions for new guitar amps and BASS amps wink.gif Very useful gadget... wink.gif
buckjones
Great review!!!!

Another UX2 owner and I love it... I've had it since it came out and I must say it's easy to use, Gearbox is a great program with lots of cool features. It comes with Ableton Lite which is great because it's a great start but if you want to do more than 4 tracks you need to upgrade to the full version. Ableton is a little more complicated to use and I definitely recommend picking up Ableton Live Power! which is a book that explains how to use the program. The only concern I have with the unit itself is that it's very light and possibly could be a bit fragile.

All in all I definitely recommend it!
Eat-Sleep-andJam
So I could plug this directly into my UsbPort and Record ? Thats it ! ?!?!?!?!
Bogdan Radovic
Thats right! You plug it in your usb , start the gearbox program that you get with toneport , start your favorite recording software (set up the recording device to toneport - its easy) and start recording with almost zero latency..And also you plug your earphones to toneport to be able to hear it, or use analog outs on tone port to connect it to a speakers that you have..
Ivan Milenkovic
You plug it in, plug your guitar, turn on tuner, tune in, dial the color you want (maybe go online to check out tone libraries - there are hundreds of presets made to resemble on your favorite players!!), when you do all that "hard work" turn on the built in metronome (with basic drum samples!!) and practise a little and then record it in your software with practicly no latency at all. NOW HOW COOL IS THAT?? VERY cool, thank you very much smile.gif
Eat-Sleep-andJam
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 6 2007, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You plug it in, plug your guitar, turn on tuner, tune in, dial the color you want (maybe go online to check out tone libraries - there are hundreds of presets made to resemble on your favorite players!!), when you do all that "hard work" turn on the built in metronome (with basic drum samples!!) and practise a little and then record it in your software with practicly no latency at all. NOW HOW COOL IS THAT?? VERY cool, thank you very much smile.gif

Sounds to good to be true..... Im getting a pocket pod for Christmas, would that work well with it ? I think Im really going to get this. Is it hard to get started or anything, or is it like simply connected the wires .
Bogdan Radovic
Its very easy..You install the software which you get with it , plug the device in your usb , plug your guitar in the toneport , start the gearbox software that you installed and chose a tone which you want and jam..Tone port does some great simulations of different amps and speakers so you may not need the pocket pod at all with it.. wink.gif Its a easy and straightforward device..
richgrafx
I've had a Toneport UX2 for 1.5 years and still love it. It is truly plug and play easy and sounds and records well.

I recently upgraded and added the Riffworks/Rifftracker recording software for $100. This little app was written by Sonoma Wire Works and it allows you to record layered loops then connect those layered loops into a song. Each loop (song section) has its own InstantDrummer drum track which sounds nice recorded.
This thing is fun and EASY.

They do not provide a demo, but they do provide a free version. It does not timeout and you can save your work. I used the free version for a short while then bought the line6 edition of Riffworks. The paid version has more tracks per riff and provides mix to wav functionality.
Joey
Toneport + Riffworks + A nice speaker system or a laptop is perfect. i dont even use my amp a lot in home now because i am at the computer a lot so with some nice speakers on my computer its better than my amp. and if you have a laptop you could use this to gig if you just did a line out from your laptop to a PA system or even a normal amp for that matter. and also the awesome thing with gearbox is theres a feature to search the online tone library so you can search for say "Avenged Sevenfold" or "Joe Satriani" and it will come up with their most signature sounds that you can save to use. I've loved every line 6 product ive ever touched i dont think you can go wrong with them. its just a matter of which mdoel to get lol
buckjones
richgrafx - awesome demo! you really show how well the software works and your shredding is great!

Line 6 rocks... Along with my Toneport UX2 I also own the Spider II 112 with the FBV Floorboard and I have no complaints and nothing but great things to say about this stuff!
Muris Varajic
I tried this unit,great review Ivan,well done! smile.gif
Toni Suominen
Cool review Ivan, hope to see more gear reviews from you in the future!

-Toni
David.C.Bond
Great review, I have the UX2 and have used it for various recordings.
I also generally practice through it just because its convinient.

I personally would only give it 7/10 though for a couple of reasons:
Ocassionally it gives short bursts of white noise which is very irritating.
As is the case with most USB interfaces, there is a short lag so when recording I often have to manually tighten the file in cubase, which is annoying.

But other than that it is a great device, and I'll probably use it for home use for a good while yet.
Alex Lewis
Had the problem of short lag when using programs other than riffworks (in my case reaper) but if you select the recording method/input to be ASIO rather than wave sound this problem is resolved.

Give that a go in cubase David guarantee it resolves the issue. The bursts of white noise can be rectified by adding a slightly larger buffer this does give slightly inferior sound quality but the difference is hardly noticable (for this go into the the line 6 control panel)

hope this helps mate
David.C.Bond
QUOTE (Alex Lewis @ Dec 8 2007, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had the problem of short lag when using programs other than riffworks (in my case reaper) but if you select the recording method/input to be ASIO rather than wave sound this problem is resolved.

Give that a go in cubase David guarantee it resolves the issue. The bursts of white noise can be rectified by adding a slightly larger buffer this does give slightly inferior sound quality but the difference is hardly noticable (for this go into the the line 6 control panel)

hope this helps mate

Amazing! I've had this device for a couple of years and noone has ever told me that before. Thanks Alex!
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 8 2007, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amazing! I've had this device for a couple of years and noone has ever told me that before. Thanks Alex!

Yeah I found that a while back also. Using ASIO instead greatly improves latency problems.
MickeM
Thanks for another great review.

A question, does it have a "Bypass" option?
ace_frehely
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 3 2007, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there GMC, welcome to my review of Line6 Toneport UX1 USB recording interface. This unit`s main purpose is to easily connect instruments (guitar, bass and mics, also other line level audio sources too) and record them wiht zero latency and wiht an intuitive graphic interface. And beleive me, this thing does it WELL! Okay let us begin:

DEVICE: LINE 6 TONEPORT UX1
PRICE PAID: ~150$

PICTURE

KEY FEATURES:

- USB studio recording interface

- Sample rate conversion: 16 and 24 bit at 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz

- Gearbox amp and effects modeling software for Guitar, Bass and Vocals includes:

- 23 guitar/bass amp models with 29 cabinet models

- 6 vocal mic preamps for amazing, studio-quality tracks

- 29 stompbox and studio effect models, including Overdrive, Delay, Reverb, Wah, Flanger, Chorus, and more
- Single XLR input with mic preamp

- Single instrument input

- Line 6's exclusive low-latency ToneDirect monitoring

- Works with leading recording software on Mac® and Windows®

- Includes Ableton Live Lite - Line 6 Edition recording software

INPUTS AND OUTS

Inputs:

Single XLR mic preamp input with trim knob

Single 1/4-inch instrument inputs

2x 1/4-inch stereo line inputs

1/4-inch stereo monitor input

Outputs:

S/PDIF stereo output (RCA-type)

1/4-inch balanced line outputs with master volume knob

1/4-inch headphones output

Computer Interface:

USB bus-powered with LED status indicator

USB 1.1 & 2.0 compatible

Rock Solid ASIO, WDM and Mac® OS X driver
GENERAL INFO

This is a desktop unit, but it is very lightweighted. You can easily carry it around and say connect it to another computer. You just have to install appropriate drivers on that machine and a Gearbox software (I`ll explain later). On this model (UX1) there are no VU meters, there are software ones only in the Gearbox. BUt UX2, which is a stronger model (has some additional inputs and costs x2) has VU meters in the casing. There is a soft limiter in this device. Toneport doesen`t do onboard hardware processing (no DSP), instead he gives it to CPU to do the math. THe unit is made out of plastic, very light, and it looks like a toy, but a powerfull toy it is. It has a "Mic gain" and "Monitoring Output" volume pots for a hardware control from the device itself.

CONNECTIVITY

TonePort connects on a computer via USB 1.1 or 2.0. I had no problem connecting it onboard, but i had some dificulties to make ASIO driver work properly in Cubase for some time. But that may be local problem of mine. The power is also supplied through the USB so there is no external adapter jack.

I/O SECTION

It has a micpreamp built in. Not a very quality one, but for THAT price you realy can`t get any better that that. Bare in mind that this is not very sound-quality product but the accent is put on ease of use and connectivity. It has one dynamic mic input, no fantom power (UX2 model HAS fantom power) if you happne to use a cendenser mic. It has one dedicated input for guitar instruments, and two mono line in inputs for recording line-level sources. It also has monitoring inputs to be able to monitor a separate source (like from a mic booth in a studio). THere is NO MIDI I/O on this device (but it can function as a MIDI device in DAW). THere is no send/return options or cue/mix ones. For that price that would be to much really...

TECHNICAL SPECS

IT supports 16 and 24 bit at 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz resololutions, but only 44.1 and 48 are native. FOr 96 it has to do a sample conversion. I haven`t found any tribule in small projects for this one. It does real-time conversion no problem. IT supports ASIO, WDM and Mac® OS X drivers. The ASIO ones are not too stable, but thats my case only. TonePort has DirectTone Monitoring. Before the sound is feeded into a DAW software it is directly feeded into monitoring outs. SO you can hear the effects in real time and with minimum latency. That is VERY nice and practical as you can jamm along with playing audion and just play not worrying for your CPU performance.

ANd now - The Gearbox.

THe gearbox software is basicaly like any other guitar effects seftware. It has lots of effects and amp and stuff built in and it emulates those sounds. BUT, this program is MADE specially for TOneport. Toneport devices are controlled via it so you can adjust patches on differetn sends. You can even make sepparate sends for mic&guitar and record both sepparately into DAW software while directly monitoring all the effects applied on both inputs. Is that not cool or what? FOr that price yes it is thank you vey much smile.gif Now the toneport can act as a standalone hardware and you CAN use other guitar related software like GuitarRIg, Amplitube etc. and it can do almost real time effects with those, but GearBox sends his effeccs directly into monitors wiht minimum amount of latency. I can`t say if GearBox has BETTER affects than other products out there, but it has very nice clean and deacent drive settings. Also you get it for FREE when you buy TonePort, including TOne Library on the net, free 30day subscription for some additional multimedia material and a lot of upgrade possibilities. ALso you can upgrade it automaticaly over the net.

OVERALL

This unit is performing well on my machine. It serves me as an external Audio and MIDI sound card also and it is quite fast in that price range. I would generally recommend i to anyone who wants to record some pilot stuff on computr FAST and EASY. SO to all beginners and pros too, because it is cheap and very practical. I would definately buy one if it were stolen because i need it fo recording things easy and wiht some effects. I wish it had some MIDI I/O option so i can connect a MIDI keyboard on some day, but there is a better model that has built in keyboard! You can check out Line6 site for som more info.

Editorial note: published 2007-12-05

This is really good smile.gif thanks for letting us know...I may think of buying one. biggrin.gif
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 7 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for another great review.

A question, does it have a "Bypass" option?

It does , you can kill all the simulations and leave just the dry signal.. wink.gif Also when you activate its built in tuner it goes to bypass mode.. wink.gif
besip
so whats about that one

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp...ysubsearch=true

it's for half price..i'm dont looking nothing exepensive yet..becouse i'm beghiner and with that 1 beghiner question it's the item will work with small Amp masrhall 15cd??
besip
i'm know thats almost out of topic question bud what is the realy advantage with the line6 for 150$ against that one which cost just 60$??? i'm never had any thats probally lot of features right??
Ivan Milenkovic
Could you repeat that Besip, I didn't quite understand m8. You posted a link of TonePort UX1??
besip
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Jan 28 2008, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could you repeat that Besip, I didn't quite understand m8. You posted a link of TonePort UX1??

ooo i'm see my mistake sorry

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp...ysubsearch=true

that is the right one
Ivan Milenkovic
You posted a link of UX1 again... I don't understand man... sad.gif Are you referring to UX2 maybe??
besip
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Jan 29 2008, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You posted a link of UX1 again... I don't understand man... sad.gif Are you referring to UX2 maybe??

i'm dont understand this also. unsure.gif .becouse when i'm open the link i'm dont have there UX1
but i'm have there this model Line 6
TonePort GX Guitar USB Audio Interface
(LTPORTGXX)
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (besip @ Jan 27 2008, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm know thats almost out of topic question bud what is the realy advantage with the line6 for 150$ against that one which cost just 60$??? i'm never had any thats probally lot of features right??

Well my friend had guitar port and its cool too..Its just used for guitar recording and has only one input..But as I remember the modeling software (Gearbox) is the same as with toneport...It will do the job..
Ivan Milenkovic
Aha, I see what you mean! THe TOneport GX is then? smile.gif It's a nice device too. For a guitarist great piece of hardware (and software). There isn't a mic input but thats ok. I think it has the same specs as other toneport devices.
besip
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 2 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aha, I see what you mean! THe TOneport GX is then? smile.gif It's a nice device too. For a guitarist great piece of hardware (and software). There isn't a mic input but thats ok. I think it has the same specs as other toneport devices.

cool i'm like behiner don't know where to spend money first{and i'm don't have mutch money yet laugh.gif }
and i'm never work with stuff but if that stuff can record my crazy playing on my ESP Quitar and Marshall MG 15Wcd and also mu distorsion pedal Digitech df-7 i'm will be thinking about buy this smile.gif

actualy i'm dont know what all the thing do becouse i'm never work with stuff like that in my 5 month quitarist history laugh.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Don't worry buy it you want regret it. You don't need the amp after buying it. Just plug in like this:

Guitar>DF7>Toneport.

You'll have a tone of possibilities there. If you need any help configuring toneport just let us know. I myself had some troubles configuring it, but it took like a few days to get the hang of it.
besip
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 3 2008, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't worry buy it you want regret it. You don't need the amp after buying it. Just plug in like this:

Guitar>DF7>Toneport.
http://www.espguitars.com/
You'll have a tone of possibilities there. If you need any help configuring toneport just let us know. I myself had some troubles configuring it, but it took like a few days to get the hang of it.

ok i'm will go think about this..so if i'm got you right the stuff recording and also then i'm can play by computer speakers right?? i'v got good 50w logitech so i'm ok then..but more importatnt thing for me is recording..it's there some posibility to put together then my web cam recording{video}with the sound record from Toneport??

and whats about the sound..somebody tell me the sound from comuter never can be so good like form PC-speakers??
but that probbaly isn't case on my AMP laugh.gif
sorry for out of topic questions rolleyes.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
No problem Besip, I think I understood you there wink.gif

QUOTE (besip @ Feb 3 2008, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok i'm will go think about this..so if i'm got you right the stuff recording and also then i'm can play by computer speakers right?? i'v got good 50w logitech so i'm ok then..

Yes, you can jam along or do recordings via computer speakers. The toneport emulates the sound form the guitar amp cabinet so you get a similar sound to amps speakers on you PC speakres. Your speakers are decent enough, don't worry.

but more importatnt thing for me is recording..it's there some posibility to put together then my web cam recording{video}with the sound record from Toneport??

Off course, you can choose the audio signal from toneport to be recorded when you record something with youwebcam. In movie maker, vegas, premiere etc..

and whats about the sound..somebody tell me the sound from comuter never can be so good like form PC-speakers??
but that probbaly isn't case on my AMP laugh.gif

The sound can't be as good as on your amps speaker because amp speaker is a different kind of speaker than the PC speaker. Amps speaker has a lot more headroom for clipping tahn ordinary speaker, and it acctually shapes your sound along with the amp (but in smaller degree). But don't worry, simulations are getting better, and the sound from toneport is decent enoguh to serve you for PC recording purposes.
besip
Thanks Ivan for all answers thats help a lot
i'm gonna probbaly buy it soon cool.gif

for playing i'm gonna keep my amp bur for recording the cheap Toneport look verry good
Ivan Milenkovic
No problem man, glad to help smile.gif
Nobody
Wow just spotted this thingie and if I understood everything correct it'll solve all my recording problems biggrin.gif

All my home recordings I've done with my sound card which is way too sloopy. The things I hear just aren't the things that get recorded. So will I have the same problem if I get this Toneport thing?

One other thing. I'm using BOSS ME-50 for effects processor and I'm quite happy with it but I don't have an amp and I was thinking about selling the ME-50 and getting one of those POD things from Line6.

Guitar > Line6 POD > Line6 Toneport > Computer (for home recordings)
and
Guitar > Line6 POD > Amp (for jamming with the band?)

So would this chain be good for home recordings and in the same time be good for studio and jamming?

Thanks,
Hristian
UncleSkillet
QUOTE (Nobody @ Mar 26 2008, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow just spotted this thingie and if I understood everything correct it'll solve all my recording problems biggrin.gif

All my home recordings I've done with my sound card which is way too sloopy. The things I hear just aren't the things that get recorded. So will I have the same problem if I get this Toneport thing?

One other thing. I'm using BOSS ME-50 for effects processor and I'm quite happy with it but I don't have an amp and I was thinking about selling the ME-50 and getting one of those POD things from Line6.

Guitar > Line6 POD > Line6 Toneport > Computer (for home recordings)
and
Guitar > Line6 POD > Amp (for jamming with the band?)

So would this chain be good for home recordings and in the same time be good for studio and jamming?

Thanks,
Hristian

Well you don't need both. They a basically the same things. Toneport comes with software called Gearbox. Gearbox has all the same amp models and effect a POD does. So instead of turning nobs on the pod your program your tone using Gearbox software.

So you would go:
Guitar>Pod>Computer
Guitar>Toneport>Computer

They are both going to give you the same results and sound.

Hope that helps clear things up. smile.gif
Nobody
Aha... So the idea is that if I want to take this sound out of home I'll need a POD. If I want it only for home recording the better is the Toneport.
Oookay. But i didn't get the other thing. Because my PC makes some very bad recordings will the Toneport make the recordings sound the way my guitar sounds without recording?

Thanks,
Hristian
UncleSkillet
The Toneport is basically a sound card your guitar plugs into. The tone you record goes through that using Gearbox and not your PC soundcard. You can use Reaper as your DAW to record tracks. If you have crappy PC speakers and soundcard like a do I would suggest replacing both of them or just getting a good set of headphone to plug into the UX1.

And yes you are right about the POD. That would be the way to go if you want to take your sound with you and jam with friends and plug into a PA or something.

Cheers
Nobody
Aaah now I got it :] So both of these things behave as a sound card. Well there is no shop here in Bulgaria that has Line6 stuff and I don't think I'll sell my Boss ME-50 for something I haven't seen. But really thanks for the help and I'll ask around if there's a friend who has a POD :]

Cheers,
Hristian
besip
almost everywhere the price drop to 90$ rolleyes.gif
so it's time to buy it laugh.gif
besip
so i'm was buy this like 10 minutes ago tongue.gif ..they drop the price everywhere so i'm was pay with tax 95$ wink.gif
audiopaal
Nice review, thanks smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
No problem, I'm glad I could help. Toneport has done a great deal for me in terms of recording! smile.gif
zombie20
I have been using this and I sometimes find this problem when the sound coming out of the toneport suddenly goes down. This usually happens when I am recording with adobe audition with some thing running on one of the tracks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.