Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Open Tunings
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Crazyfret
Hiya all.

I was capitivated by Alex Lifeson's instrumental called Hope off Rush's Snakes & Arrows album. I've since tuned my acoustic guitar to open D tuning and currently learning to play the song.

I was wondering if there was going to be any lessons on here for this style of playing? Ok it may not be technically demanding as sweep picking but I love the lushness of the sound of an open tuning.

What do other members think?
David.C.Bond
I've never experimented with open tunings myself. I believe Opeth recorded their latest album with an open D tuning and it does sound very good.

I haven't seen any lessons for that, but I'm sure someone could come up with an interesting one!
Hemlok
I do not often play in open D but I play in DADGAD which i believe is called D sus 4? But I just play around, I don't know any scales or anything when I am in this tuning. Just gotta find what sounds good.

Edit: I suggest getting/using a capo, extremely fun in open tunings!
David.C.Bond
Also, play some harmonic chords in open tuning, ie just lightly barre an entire fret that has a harmonic on.
Very ethereal sounding!
Ivan Milenkovic
You can play great blues stuff in open D using open string voicings and arepeggiated chords. If I have the time I`ll do one lesson on this.
Jerry Arcidiacono
QUOTE (Crazyfret @ Dec 12 2007, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wondering if there was going to be any lessons on here for this style of playing? Ok it may not be technically demanding as sweep picking but I love the lushness of the sound of an open tuning.

I have some open tuning lessons on the plan smile.gif
Crazyfret
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Dec 12 2007, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have some open tuning lessons on the plan smile.gif

Cool... cool.gif I'll look out for them

Thanks
The Uncreator
QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 12 2007, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never experimented with open tunings myself. I believe Opeth recorded their latest album with an open D tuning and it does sound very good.

I haven't seen any lessons for that, but I'm sure someone could come up with an interesting one!

Yeah its Open Dm (and some Standard)

Open Dm is what aids Mikael and Peter to get that evil sound on "Ghost Of Perdition" smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.