Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
sam47
I knew my timing was off and just couldn't get it right. I happened opon Kris Dahl's video on the metronome. Ta Da! The answer. And I even have one on a cheap keyboard I have. All the difference in the world. If you don't know about it check it out.
Muris Varajic
Metronome is an holy tool,no doubt there biggrin.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
I'm glad you figured it out m8. smile.gif Metronome is a standard stuff for a musician.
mattacuk
I used mine every single day. And now I have My Pandora i use the inbuilt one! biggrin.gif
nickmarx12345678
METRONOMES ARE FOR N00BS!!!!!!!!!! ...jk they are great tools for improvment no doubt
Goliath
The metronome is essential gear. They shouldn't sell someone their first guitar without one.
shellshock1911
No kidding. I know so many people that think they are hot guitarists becuase they can play pentatonic boxes fast and make them sound like total sh*t. I have to tell them all the time that if you don't know how to use a metronome, you a still a beginner, and I they just don't understand. Nothing pisses me off worse than watching a guitarist try to learn some insanely fast song by tab and then to play the 16th note, 170 BPM melody off the bat, not slow a first, off time, making unreal amount of mistakes, hitting open strings like crazy, etc. And then thinking that that will be acceptable in a performance setting.

My favorite quote is from a Jazz guitar book I have under the Value of Practicing Slowly

"A lot of studnets, especially at the beginner of their guitar studies, are very anxious to learn to play fast. While it is important ot play rapidly, it is even more beneficial to play accurately. Practicing something fast rarely leads to perfection, but working on accuracy alawys leads to the ability to play faster. You should never practice anything faster than you can play correctly. In other words, if you make a mistake, you are practicing too fast. ALWAYS.

"When you hear a great guitarist, you're hearing someone who is the patience and determination to work slowly and accurately."

I am trying to get my friend guitarist to understand the above points...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.