The Godmother Of Rock And Roll.
Sensible Jones
Mar 22 2014, 04:26 PM
GMC:er
I was just chatting with a friend of mine and we both mentioned this lady and it reminded me of how many people would not have heard of her or her music or the influence she had on the early period of Rock 'n' Roll.
So, my question to you guys is this:-
Have you ever heard of Sister Rosetta Tharpe?

A great quote about her from the gospel singer Ira Tucker:-
When you talked about Rosetta Tharpe you talked about a ball of energy. This woman would come out on the stage she’d have people laughing, she’d talk to them in a way that it was almost like she was related to them. And when she finished her act, they were standing. You know, they would love this woman. And she was a lovable person. I mean she was an approachable person. Even though she was a diva too, you know, because she did play the diva role.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Mar 22 2014, 04:26 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 22 2014, 04:55 PM
She's fairly known in the States (at least on the coasts) due to the fact that she was 1) on a major label - Decca, 2) worked and recorded with other very famous acts - Cab Calloway and Lucky Millinder as well as being featured in big shows produced by John Hammond featuring gospel music and 3) had the first Gospel 'hit' to chart. Most any early R&B, Gospel or even early Jazz compilation album will have a Sister Rosetta cut on it.
*Check out John Hammond Sr. ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hammond_Sr.

She has a commemorative US postage stamp and I believe Jan. 11th is Sister RT day in Pennsylvania(?).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 22 2014, 05:03 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 22 2014, 05:12 PM
Interesting!
I know of John Hammond Snr's work, he's the guy that found Robert Johnson. His son J Hammond Jnr is probably the greatest living knowledge of all things Robert Johnson and plays some mean guitar and Harmonica himself!!
I figured Rosetta would be more known over there than here, didn't know she had her own Stamp and Day though!!
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 22 2014, 05:30 PM
It's funny, at this point (over here) Sister Rosetta is probably more known than both the Hammonds.

I'm reading this right now ... http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Ma...id=OMCBOAA6Vr0C
Bio of Alan Lomax. He, along with his father, traveled the US starting in the 1930s doing field recordings of prisoners, miners, ex-slaves, share croppers, preachers, cowboys, mountain men and women, etc. for the US Library of Congress.
If you're into really knowing where it all came from (blues, jazz, R&B, country, gospel, bluegrass and rock) this is a great read.

If it wasn't for guys like John Hammond Sr. and the Lomax's having the desire, the 'vision' and the where-with-all to record these folks, chances are there would be no rock music.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 23 2014, 05:01 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 22 2014, 05:36 PM
Funnily enough, my friend and I were talking about Alan Lomax and his recording of Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly etc in that same conversation!!
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 22 2014, 05:41 PM
Yeah, it's all linked isn't it.

If you're familiar with Lomax then I highly, highly recommend the book.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 22 2014, 05:55 PM
I'll definitely check it out!! Thanks for the recommendation!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 22 2014, 06:08 PM
Amazing lady...interesting that it was recorded in Manchester, England in 1964...About the same time Hendrix began playing with Little Richard...one of the names that Rossetta had helped influence....Like Ken Said...Its all Linked somewhere.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 22 2014, 07:22 PM
Instructor
Nice video and story. I've never heard of Sister Rosetta. She had a really cool energy, and makes me feel happy, smile. Her energy is contagious. And talking about the style, this is definitely part of the prehistory of rock & roll.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 24 2014, 10:21 AM
Instructor
Same as Gabriel I saw her for the first time at this thread but ...I was never too good at music history smile.gif)) Of course it doesn't mean I'm not interested to know things smile.gif Thank You for sharing Neil! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 24 2014, 03:17 PM
No worries guys. The friend who I was having the conversation with, that lead me to start this thread, is a very knowledgeable Music Historian.
The amount of information stored in his head is staggering!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 24 2014, 04:05 PM
Though it's fairly easy to find the 'credits' (i.e., who played on the album) on a download or stream, liner notes have gone the way of the dinosaur. That was the way most of us over 35 acquired a lot of our music history ... as well as turning us on to other artists. I learned about Sister Rosetta because she was mentioned on the back of a Johnny Winter record.
That's the only thing I 'really' miss about the death of the CD or album.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 24 2014, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 08:46 AM