2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ltd Guitars, LTD ESP
Hajduk
Jul 8 2014, 09:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thinking about getting a ESP ( MH 350) anybody have experience here with ESPs?? Either that or Ibanez RG series!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 8 2014, 12:00 PM
GMC Founder
I have an LTD MH-1000NT, and I am happy with it. I did some research and people say quality of the high end LTD is not that far from ESP, but that ltd's need a professional setup for a fair comparison.

I ordered online and indeed - the guitar needed a set up. I have fixed it now and it is the guitar with lowest action I have.

It has a seymour duncan JB / 59 with a 5 way switch wich gives me flexible sounds (including a stratty 'quack' sound in position 2).

I am happy with this guitar - and it is different from my les paul (LPJ) although both are mahogany body + maple top, as it doesn't really have the same warmth. Instead it cuts through the mix beautifully without any unnecessary low end. It should also be perfect for tighter metal rhythms (if I can just get to that!)

Oh and who knows, I might scallop it some day ph34r.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 9 2014, 01:44 AM
Learning Rock Star
Oh yeah, you use it your chats smile.gif Great guitar

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2014, 03:06 AM
GMC:er
I had an LTD "Lugosi" which is one of their limited run series and it played great!! I did have to have it setup, but after that is was ripping! The only thing I didn't dig was the it didn't have a floyd rose which I prefer for palm mute as I do a lot of muting. It's based on one of the mid range ESP models I believe. I think it's the 350 oddly enough smile.gif

As for the RG. I'm probably a bit biased smile.gif But it's hard to go wrong with a good RG Ibby!! Make sure you play each guitar you are thinking about buying before you pull the trigger wink.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jul 8 2014, 04:13 AM) *
Thinking about getting a ESP ( MH 350) anybody have experience here with ESPs?? Either that or Ibanez RG series!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 9 2014, 03:07 AM

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 9 2014, 04:20 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I litrally bought a 2nd hand MH-400 about 4 days ago. Was in rough nich but after a complete strip, clean, reassemble and setup it has probably my favorate neck. The neck is in between my Mockingbird pro X (its like a shaved gibson neck) and my Charvel (which is pretty much as thin as you can get) I find its probably the most versitile neck.

I also love the ESP bump they put on the back of the necks. just feels a little fancy.

At the moment its my main practice guitar. and i plan on copying the neck for my custom build since its very versitile and will be keeping the LTD as a backup.

Only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the EMG pickups. I like them and they are good but I'm constantly leaning more towards hot passive pickups. No battery and a bit more organic and dynamic.

This post has been edited by Mith: Jul 9 2014, 04:21 AM

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 9 2014, 07:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you all, I just sold my EVH for 750 canadian dollars, so now I really do need a new guitar. I tried the LTD and it retails for 850 but a friend of mine is the regional manager here in Vancouver for Best Buy and with his discount I am getting it for 500 dollars smile.gif Really cant go wrong.

This post has been edited by Hajduk: Jul 9 2014, 07:13 AM

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 9 2014, 08:32 AM
Instructor
I've always liked the look of ESP / LTD. They just look comfortable and stylish. The only thing I don't like about them is when they insert that rectangular inlay at the 12th fret. It ruins the look. But that's a personal taste thing.

That blue beast is a beauty, Kris. I hope to see it feature in more of your future lessons !

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jul 9 2014, 08:33 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2014, 03:28 AM
Spiff deal!! Post some pics! smile.gif

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jul 9 2014, 02:13 AM) *
Thank you all, I just sold my EVH for 750 canadian dollars, so now I really do need a new guitar. I tried the LTD and it retails for 850 but a friend of mine is the regional manager here in Vancouver for Best Buy and with his discount I am getting it for 500 dollars smile.gif Really cant go wrong.

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jul 10 2014, 03:46 AM
I had an ESP Alexi LTD Blacky. I absolutely loved it. Just couldn't get along with a floyd. So far I've loved every ESP I've played.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 10 2014, 09:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
Will definitely post some pics Todd smile.gif Should be getting it soon.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 27 2014, 12:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
So I have the new guitar and love it but, I always change strings when I get new guitar and when I do the bridge is tilted way to forward and not parallel to the body( Floyd Rose trem). O9 strings, I think it shipped with 010s. So how do I go about fixing this?? I know its been in the forum before! How do I go about fixing this and it wasn't like this with the other strings that it shipped with

This post has been edited by Hajduk: Jul 27 2014, 12:32 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 27 2014, 01:09 AM
QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 8 2014, 11:20 PM) *
Only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the EMG pickups. I like them and they are good but I'm constantly leaning more towards hot passive pickups. No battery and a bit more organic and dynamic.

Totally with you on that. After 2 sets of active EMGs I have had my fill of them. I'll keep them in the guitars they are in, but your description on "hot, passive, organic" is perfect.

Beautiful guitar Hajduk. Just wondering if the bridge being tilted up is a problem with your playing or feel on the guitar? If the intonation is good and it feels good, I think these bridges are supposed to float with the flow?

This post has been edited by Spock: Jul 27 2014, 01:13 AM

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 27 2014, 07:02 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Spock. I always read that the bridge should be flush with the guitar!! I know some people don't mind it being like that but it doesn't feel right to me, and your right about the EMGs I like them but they eat batteries so fast.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
kklee100
Jul 27 2014, 10:43 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hello, Hajduk, Congratulations!
About bridge tilt, you can adjust the spring tension in the back of guitar body to make the bridge parallel to body.
And once you change the string gauze, you must adjust the spring tension again. That is why I do not like Floyd Rose.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 27 2014, 10:44 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
how long do batteries last with EMG's? Ive read that some folks are changing them once or twice per year. Are you leaving the guitar plugged in?

The ibby I recently bought came with the tremelo angled forward as well. Theres a few guys here who can talk you through levelling it yourself. I decided to take it to the guitar store and the guy levelled it and fixed the intonation for me. I find it much better now that its sitting level.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 27 2014, 02:53 PM
I think I read somewhere that it should last a few months if it was plugged in all the time. I test mine occasionally but what I can recommend is if one day your guitar sounds a little lifeless check the battery before anything else. I remember spending hrs tweaking a amp finding the setting I felt I lost only to discover the battery in the EMG's died. Tho now days I lean more towards high output passives

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2014, 03:33 PM
Instructor
Interesting thread! Congrats Hajduk on your new guitar! I used to have a floyd rose guitar and this was one of the problems that I hated, every time you change the string gauge and sometimes even the string brand, it needs an adjustment to avoid that problem. I used to send me to the luthier in order to do the correct calibration so that's what I suggest you to do.

About active pick ups, I'm with Myth, I prefer passive ones because they tend to have more dynamics and keep the personality of your guitar sounding. Every time I play a guitar with some active EMG seems to sound very similar and it lacks dynamics. This can be an advantage for extreme metal, so it depends on the style that you play. As I usually play different styles I prefer more versatile ones. I wonder if you guys agree with me of if you think that it's just my perception....

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 27 2014, 04:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks KKLee, looks like I will have to adjust springs in the back or get a guitar tech to do it. My batteries last a few months Bleez and yes I was leaving it plugged in I had forgotten to take cable out sad.gif SO true on how if battery is low the sound is not great. I was playing with some guys a year back when I had my Schecter they were all into punk and they hated the sound of my EMGs, said it sounded to Metal.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2014, 05:26 PM
Tighten the springs in the back with a screwdriver. Go one turn per screw and look at the results. Then go again. Test your string tension as you go. Start with a tuned guitar. Get ready to loosen the strings after you turn both screws once each time or you may pop your strings and pull to hard on your neck. Your trying to find the magic tension point where the floyd is flat with your strings on it and in tune.

Make sure to put on your 9s first. The magic tension point changes with string gauge. smile.gif

With you on EMGs for 6 string. However, I like the 707 EMG which is for 7 string, but hate the 808 which is for 8. I"m not sure how they differ or if it was just the wood in the guitar but I had 707 in a DBZ Diamond 7 and it was perfect. Chunky, organic. Spiff smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 27 2014, 05:27 PM

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 28 2014, 07:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Todd smile.gif going to set it up tomorrow.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:09 PM