> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Philm's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 30 2015, 01:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Nice to know that you liked my new lesson! smile.gif

About the latency issue, I imagine that you are using your pod's guitar tone, don't you? In this case, the easier/faster solution would be to listen directly what's entering to the sound card instead of what's being recorded in the daw. If this is possible to be set with your soundcard, the problem will be solved. Latency appears when you activate monitoring from your daw, but you could try activating the input of your interface. With my M-audio Fast Track, I just have to move a mix level that mixes input with computer's sounds.

Is this possible with your soundcard? If not, I think that this will be possible if you use your pod as interface instead of your soundcard.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 30 2015, 03:56 PM
GMC:er
Yeah I am going to start on that royal blood lesson asap biggrin.gif

I think I understand what your saying regarding the latency issue but I am not quite sure to set up the soundcard like you mentioned.
What I normally do is connect my pod to my audio interface with a xlr cable and it works fine and for lessons with the lepou plugins I connect the guitar directly to my audio interface.
The problem is I was still having cut out problems even without the pod connected. I tried recording through the pod by itself and it had a weird echo in cubase.

Anyway what I tried today was connecting the pod with the usb and the interface with the usb at the same time and now it worked! Weird huh?

Anyway if it is still working like that tomorrow I will try to make a new take on the sum 41 lesson wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 1 2015, 02:24 PM
Instructor
Great news!! Well, computers and audio are sometimes trial and error... it can sometimes be illogical... mad.gif

Looking forward your new takes.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 2 2015, 03:34 PM
Hey Gab, so here are a few new takes. I didn't recorded takes on all the lessons I am currently working on, just the ones I thought I have made some progress on.

Sum 41 160bmp

Rise Against
I think there is some improvement on those although I have only been playing it twice a day.

Skate Punk
Of all the lessons, this one seems to be causing me the most problems. I am no not quite sure how I should be counting the first riffs and the fifth part of the lesson. I just can't seem to connect with the drums, what am I doing wrong here?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 3 2015, 07:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm, great to find new takes from you!!

I notice improvements on this takes based on the things that we have been disusing,, mostly on the Rise Against lesson which is getting really close. Then, Sum 41 is getting better while Skate Punk is the one that is still showing more important problems.

I recommend you to practice these two ones even at a slower tempo to be able to think on your hands movements, in order to make them small and effective. Working on smaller sections is also a good idea. For example, you surely can identify the riffs that are giving problems, isolate them and practice as a loop. That's the most effective plan.

By the way, you playing shows improvements, you are on the right track, keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 7 2015, 06:58 PM
Hey Gab, Thanks for your feedback on the lessons, I am very glad you can notice some improvement. Technically I think these lessons are in my range it's just the speed that is taking time to catch up. I noticed how just playing the rise against only twice a day can make a difference though. This encouraging me to really try and play everyday. So I will slow down the lessons and work isolated in the tricky parts and get back to you in a week or so. I really what to master a lesson soon, so I can move onto something new!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 8 2015, 03:40 PM
Instructor
That sounds great Philm. Congrats on your great job here, keep on rocking. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 19 2015, 05:01 PM
Hey Gab, Sorry there has been no update the last two weeks. I decided to take a spontaneous holiday but have now returned refreshed and newly motivated. I started playing back today with my same routine.

I noticed something while practicing the skate punk lesson, I think I have been playing part five of the lesson slightly wrong. I thought you only palm mute the notes on the fifth string and then kind of let the fourth string notes ring out. Now I realised you slightly palm mute all the notes right?Also do you alternate pick this part because I have just been down picking it?
I think because of these two issues it hasn't helped me with the timing.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 20 2015, 01:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Welcome back! Howidays are always welcome to refresh our mind and spirit. smile.gif

You are right, I'm using alternate picking and I'm also muting a bit (less than the lower string) the 4th string. to make this sound clean.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 22 2015, 02:08 PM
So I have got back to practicing now(3 days in a row) my aim is to practice this revised routine everyday(ok maybe I won't manage it at the weekend biggrin.gif). I have reduced the amount of time on a lot of things I am learning so I fit everything at just over an hour a day. Also this frees up a little space for other lessons as this plan is starting to get a little repetitive and I want to get on to new lessons.

1.BMTH - Breakdown Riff (5mins)(2x All)
2.ADTR -(2x All)
3.Lagwagon - (1x All)
4.Skate Punk - Part 5 slowed down(5mins)(3-5x all)
5.Rise Against - (2x All)
6.Bad Religion - Solo section slowed down(5mins)(3x all)
7.Sum 41 Style - Part 2 slowed down(5mins)(2x all slow,3X all faster)
8. Song - Passenger Let Her Go (my acoustic guitar playing has been very neglected so I decided to learn this finger picking song)

I also wanted to get going again on the song analysis but I have been a bit lazy there. I will try again this week.

Btw really cool new papa roach lesson! Another cool lessons that is tempting to start wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2015, 04:17 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! This sounds good for me! The plan is very complete and the fact that you cover many lessons seems to keep it entertained and motivating.

It's also a good idea to get back to song analysis, it's very important to keep on training this stuff to start developing your creative side. It's needs practice as the other techniques.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 28 2015, 10:49 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 22 2015, 03:17 PM) *
It's also a good idea to get back to song analysis, it's very important to keep on training this stuff to start developing your creative side. It's needs practice as the other techniques.

I know I should be focusing more on this but I always think when I have time I rather play than study biggrin.gif. But here is the second song analysis of the track "The Hell Song" by Sum 41. I struggle massively on the theory side of things where I truly have no idea but I think the song is in
the key of G#m. I am not sure what scale is then being played for the solo. I also plan to learn this song after I have mastered your sum 41 lesson.

I hope to make some new takes tomorrow of some of the lessons wink.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Song_Analysis__Sum_41___The_Hell_Song.pdf ( 97.58K ) Number of downloads: 215

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 28 2015, 01:18 PM
Instructor
Fantastic analysis man! I like how you worked on details and went deep with the "what's happening?" section dedicated to arrangement and production. This will start adding vocabulary into your mind that will be really helpful for music creation and production.

The theory behind this one is simple, it's in G# major and the chord progression is one of the most used in pop music: I - VI - III - VII. Check my picnic panic lesson where I talk about this: LINK

The scale used for the solo is also G# major. I don't consider it Pentatonic because they are also using the 2nd and the 6th of the major scale.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 30 2015, 11:19 AM
Hey Gab, Glad you liked the analysis. Thanks for the help on the theory, I didn't realise how simple this song really was. I will try to spend more time on these analysis and get them out quicker so we can move on to the creativity.

I recorded some new takes yesterday on a couple of the lessons, let me know what you think wink.gif

Sum 41

Bad Religion
This solo is too fast for me at this tempo. I have been practicing the solo slower but I recorded the whole lesson at full speed.

Skate Punk
The dreaded difficult lesson, still struggling on this one. I have also been practicing the trickier parts slower but it hasn't made much of an impact yet. I will keep working.

A Day To Remember
I think this is improving I am trying to focus on the movement of my right hand. I think I could still be moving more from the wrist though right?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 2 2015, 02:22 AM
Instructor
Hi Philm, thanks for the new videos.

I've noted that the main problem here is timing. The first one is the most problematic and I think that it can be related to some latency issues, is it possible? Because the whole take sounds with the same timing issue.

The other lessons are better. Bad Religion style shows issues on the intro riff while Skate Punk has more notable timing issues in the whole take. ADTR is the best of these takes and it's very close to perfection.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 2 2015, 08:57 PM
Hey Gab, thanks for your feedback on my takes. Yeah I think you are right there is a latency problem in the sum 41 take, I have had problems recording this track before. I think my timing is also off though, I don't think I concentrated enough on counting. On the bad religion one I started to practice over your original take I think this will help me get the timing right on the first riff.

I am struggling on the skate punk lesson, I am just not sure how to count it. I think it would help if I could hear and play along to the original track with the guitar at a slower speed. Do you have the original track with your playing? I could slow this down in cubase and practice over it.

I am glad the ADTR one is finally getting there! This lesson has taken me so long. I think my right hand palm muted has improved because of this lesson. Maybe soon I can increase the speed a bit wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 3 2015, 04:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Great to know that the comments helped. I'm checking my back ups and I don't find Skate Punk lesson. I'l see if I find it later. By now you can use guitar pro file to practice along with the lead guitar. You can also turn on metronome to have a clearer rhythm reference.

It's very important to solve those latency issues because they can affect your practice in a very negative way. Be sure to solve it before each practice session, and also before your recordings.

Keep on rocking.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 5 2015, 06:10 PM
Hey Gab, ok I will try out guitar pro for the skate punk lesson. I have never used guitar pro before but I saw there is a trial to download. Can you also slow down the tracks in guitar pro?
I am not sure what is going on with this latency problem because it just seems to be only on the sum 41 lesson although I use the same tone and settings for the other punk lessons. I reloaded the tone on the pod for this lesson and that seems to fixed it for now.
I will keep on rocking for the rest of this week and get some new takes done in a week or so!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 6 2015, 01:50 PM
Instructor
yes, you can slow down tempo in guitar pro. Also check out this tool:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 10 2015, 06:27 PM
hey gab, this looks like a cool software that I think will help me out! I downloaded the trial but I don't think I can open a file for example the skate punk guitar pro file? I guess this must be a trial restriction or maybe I am not opening from the right place. I just get a list of examples to open and I can't import a .gp5 either.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:14 AM