Sneak Preview, incoming hardware for mastering
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 28 2012, 11:32 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
It's that lovely time where my mastering studio is approaching the end of the finacial year and so we're looking at equipment purchases. A couple of you know that we've spent the last few months trialing out a number of different compressors as an alternative to our hardware VCA comp. Well we're nearly there now and have reduced the list to two optical compressors:

A Maselec MLA2 here

or a

Millenia Twincom TCL2 here

Price here isn't really an issue as both are $5000, give or tke a few hundred. An opto compressor would be a nice addition/alternative for us as they tend to be very musical and are particularly good on vocals, bass and guitar. Optos sometimes are a bit slow to cope with very fast transient attacks though these two seem ok and if they can't then the VCA is there.

I'm probably going to have a few sleepless nights deciding between the two as they're both rather special for what they can do to a master but at the moment we're edging towards the Maselec.

We're also looking at buying a Kush Audio Clairphonic here .

The Clariphonic is a parallel EQ that operates as a kind of Baxendale shelving filter and so it would sit alongside our two current mastering EQs, the great River MAQ2NV and our Gyratec XIV. The Clariphonic is about $2500.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
The Uncreator
Apr 6 2012, 10:33 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
These prices hurt me sad.gif

But it is something I would want to learn. So the investment when I have the spare cash will probably be made. I was figuring $1,000 for a decent one, then $3,000 or so for high end, but I guess once I am doing that much $5,000 is understandable.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:54 PM