Introduction And Timing Question
Joost
Feb 20 2012, 08:31 PM
GMC:er
Hello fellow guitar players!

My name is Joost and Iam new to this site. I finally figured out how this forum works. (Iam a kind of computer noob)

I play a mexican fender stratocaster through a roland cube 30x. I played for 6 months before I joined this site but I never figured out how to practice correctly. Anyway this site gives me lessons which really helped me develop my technical ability and theoretical knowledge.

There is only one thing that keeps frustrating me, and that is timing. The really basic acoustic strumming parts are no problem, but when things get funky or more complicated my timing goes off. I completed all the "I've got rhythm guitar" lessons (which are awesome) but somehow my timing is still bad.

Can you guys give me any tips or advice about how to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Joost

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 21 2012, 12:05 AM
Instructor
Hi man and welcome to the site ! The only advice that can help you is - be patient. Do not try you play as the same speed as the original. Begin with a slow pace and when you're sure that the timing is good, lift up tempo a bit and so on, to the right speed. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for exercise. This process sometimes can be a little longer, but it is important to not to give up. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 21 2012, 12:41 AM
JOOOOOOOST! Welcome wink.gif I'm Todd! I"m one of our Insctructors here @ GMC. I teach the SATURDAY METAL MELTDOWN classes as we call them. Every Sat we work our fingers to the bone (including the pinky) in an effort to earn our stripes as defenders of the faith as it were. In short, we shred our brains our for two hours straight. Please do stop by smile.gif We will help you work out your timing issues in short order!

QUOTE (Joost @ Feb 20 2012, 02:31 PM) *

My name is Joost and Iam new to this site. I finally figured out how this forum works. (Iam a kind of computer noob)

I play a mexican fender stratocaster through a roland cube 30x. I played for 6 months before I joined this site but I never figured out how to practice correctly. Anyway this site gives me lessons which really helped me develop my technical ability and theoretical knowledge.

There is only one thing that keeps frustrating me, and that is timing. The really basic acoustic strumming parts are no problem, but when things get funky or more complicated my timing goes off. I completed all the "I've got rhythm guitar" lessons (which are awesome) but somehow my timing is still bad.

Thanks in advance!

Joost

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 21 2012, 08:38 AM
Instructor
Hey Joost! My name is Cosmin, I'm an instructor here and I'd like to help you out smile.gif if you wish, we can work together and set up a practice schedule so that you can progress. If you're interested, drop me a line!

cheers

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 21 2012, 11:03 AM
Instructor
Hi Joost, welcome to GMC smile.gif

What is most likely is that when you try to play more complex things, it's just your brain trying to compute new demands, so it's messing with your timing a bit. It's totally normal. It's just like everything on the guitar.. the more you do it, the better it gets smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 21 2012, 05:09 PM
Instructor
Hi Joost! Welcome to the site! Sinisa is right about this.. being patient and continue practising it the key for improving your playing. Choosing a rhythm pattern and practice it looped over a drum loop is a good way to work on timing. You can start with simple ideas and then with more complex. Check out this thread: Gab's Army, maybe you'd like to join. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Joost
Feb 26 2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks a lot for all the advice!
I guess I have to slow down and carefully listen to the rhythm sections of a song. I am now reading a book about rhythm in general. It explains everything about timing and time signatures. It really helps me to understand and recognize rhythm patterns in general. For now I leave guitar scales for what they are and instead focus on my problem area.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 26 2012, 06:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Joost @ Feb 20 2012, 07:31 PM) *

Thanks in advance!

Joost

Hello! And welcome to GMC!
You are not the only one who had to deal with timing issues we all have been there!
It takes time and if you are passionate you will get it perfect!
You can start using metronome to practice and make sure that you are playing at a comfortable tempo!
Just take your time and be consistent! Let me know if you have any questions!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:40 AM