4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Lester - Mtp - December
Lester
Dec 19 2009, 09:21 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Dec 19 2009, 08:56 AM) *
We (humans) are all the same while we're learning something new. We want to learn many things as soon as possilble, playing 143546 notes per second, etc...
Take your time, trust me biggrin.gif

is that it? I could play 143546 notes per second years ago cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 19 2009, 09:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Dec 19 2009, 09:21 AM) *
is that it? I could play 143546 notes per second years ago cool.gif

I do know this. This is why we are studying some theory right now biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 19 2009, 03:28 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Dec 19 2009, 09:50 AM) *
I do know this. This is why we are studying some theory right now biggrin.gif

huh.gif
Ok, you're still the boss then. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Lester: Dec 19 2009, 03:28 PM

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 24 2009, 06:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Jerry,

It's deadline day! smile.gif

I haven't had much time to practice, because of some concerts and work and christmas, busy times.... rolleyes.gif
Anyways,
I think I managed to learn the lesson quite well, and I was recording my vid, but I don't have any more time to complete it right now.
I have to prepare for a concert tonight.

I'll get back to you tommorow with a take if that's allright.

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 24 2009, 06:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Dec 24 2009, 06:01 PM) *
Hi Jerry,

It's deadline day! smile.gif

I haven't had much time to practice, because of some concerts and work and christmas, busy times.... rolleyes.gif
Anyways,
I think I managed to learn the lesson quite well, and I was recording my vid, but I don't have any more time to complete it right now.
I have to prepare for a concert tonight.

I'll get back to you tommorow with a take if that's allright.

Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow is just fine, if you have managed the lesson.
Happy Xmas and have a good concert with your friends smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 25 2009, 12:06 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Dec 24 2009, 06:18 PM) *
Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow is just fine, if you have managed the lesson.
Happy Xmas and have a good concert with your friends smile.gif

Thanks Jerry,

Have a good christmas as well!

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 25 2009, 02:16 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Jerry!

Here's my take on jazz notes 4:

I found the F6 the hardest one to grab fast and fluently, actually it's still not that fluent. It will get there in time though.
I didn't understood too much about the explanation of the vhords in vid 1 btw. but since the lesson was mostly about getting that swing rythm, I guess it's not that important yet, right?

Oh, and about the modes: you said that I allready knew all the boxes, that has to do with relative modes, right?
Like C ionian consists of C ionian D dorian, E Phyrigian, F Lydian, G mixolydian, etc.

anyways: Buon natale! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 25 2009, 11:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Dec 25 2009, 02:16 PM) *
Hi Jerry!

Here's my take on jazz notes 4:

I found the F6 the hardest one to grab fast and fluently, actually it's still not that fluent. It will get there in time though.
I didn't understood too much about the explanation of the vhords in vid 1 btw. but since the lesson was mostly about getting that swing rythm, I guess it's not that important yet, right?

Oh, and about the modes: you said that I allready knew all the boxes, that has to do with relative modes, right?
Like C ionian consists of C ionian D dorian, E Phyrigian, F Lydian, G mixolydian, etc.

anyways: Buon natale! smile.gif

Thank you for this paper, Lester smile.gif
Googlin' I've found "Zalig Kerstfeast" but I'm not completely sure about it biggrin.gif
Back to the topic, very nice take. Don't worry too much if you didn't fully understand the theory about this lesson. As you wrote we're working mainly on rhythm, here. The explanation is there for someone who already know some theory concept by itself.

Yes, you're right about modes. C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phrighian, etc... share the same SET of notes but you can THINK about them as different scales, connecting the boxes you already know, to play in a specific area of the neck. We'll see some exercise in the next month, hopefully.
I thought a little about your last assignment and since we're a bit late, maybe you should consider Jazz Notes 2: Triads and Inversions.
This is an easy lesson. At the same time, triads and inversions are a great tool to improvise if you know the current chord progression well.
Plus, in this way we are covering all the lesson from JN1 to JN5 if you can manage the REC take in time.
The link for the JN 2 backing is here
Let's see if this series will teach something useful to you, for the next weeks! Read this: it's (almost) time to start to improvise...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 26 2009, 09:48 AM
Learning Roadie
Zalig kerstfeast? sounds nice, but we use vrolijk kerstfeest or some other possible phrases, this sounds more like Belgian though. smile.gif

I will do Jazz notes 2! I read a bit about inversions before, but didn't really went in deeply to fully understand, seems like now I can.
Is this assignment also to be done before the 31st of December?

I'll get working on it! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 26 2009, 10:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Dec 26 2009, 09:48 AM) *
Zalig kerstfeast? sounds nice, but we use vrolijk kerstfeest or some other possible phrases, this sounds more like Belgian though. smile.gif

I will do Jazz notes 2! I read a bit about inversions before, but didn't really went in deeply to fully understand, seems like now I can.
Is this assignment also to be done before the 31st of December?

I'll get working on it! smile.gif

Yeah, we need to finish 4 assignments and the REC before the end of the current month. Now, you have fixed your problems while recording and synch videos. This is good because in the next month we should work more relaxed, maybe with 5/6 days for each assignment while you can work more specifically on the REC through the end of the month. Also, we can discuss about the REC at the beginning of the month!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 26 2009, 11:55 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Dec 26 2009, 10:11 AM) *
Yeah, we need to finish 4 assignments and the REC before the end of the current month. Now, you have fixed your problems while recording and synch videos. This is good because in the next month we should work more relaxed, maybe with 5/6 days for each assignment while you can work more specifically on the REC through the end of the month. Also, we can discuss about the REC at the beginning of the month!

Sounds good to me! smile.gif

I had a question about the jazz notes 2 lesson:
We look at D diminished triads in the first few vids, but I was wondering: why does this Dm/5- or so called "half diminished" keep showing up? why is it like this and not fully diminished? just wondering....

And another thing: I think there's a little mistake in the tab in vid 2 it tells me to grab a quite impossible Dm tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 27 2009, 12:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Dec 26 2009, 11:55 PM) *
Sounds good to me! smile.gif

I had a question about the jazz notes 2 lesson:
We look at D diminished triads in the first few vids, but I was wondering: why does this Dm/5- or so called "half diminished" keep showing up? why is it like this and not fully diminished? just wondering....

And another thing: I think there's a little mistake in the tab in vid 2 it tells me to grab a quite impossible Dm tongue.gif

Dm/5- is D-F-Ab (this is a diminished triad)
Dm7/5- is D-F-Ab-C (called also half diminished but it's not a triad)

Please remember what we have discussed some posts ago about the "dim" notation!

Thank you for reporting the error on the tab. Will be fixed soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 27 2009, 10:44 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Dec 27 2009, 12:30 AM) *
Dm/5- is D-F-Ab (this is a diminished triad)
Dm7/5- is D-F-Ab-C (called also half diminished but it's not a triad)

Please remember what we have discussed some posts ago about the "dim" notation!

Thank you for reporting the error on the tab. Will be fixed soon.

Ah, yes I did remember that post, but I forgot about the 7th, which in that case makes it a half-diminished.
It's actually quite logical: it contains a root, minor 3rd (which makes this a minor chord) and a diminished fifth (5-)

I think I get it, thanks! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 27 2009, 02:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Jerry,

I think I just discovered a little mistake in vid nr. 5 of the jazz notes 2 lesson.
on the Dm/5- chord, the 14th fret is written on the 6th string, but shouldn't it be the 13th fret since we use minor 3rd in diminished chords?

If I'm right, then there's the same mistake in vid nr.6. on the Dm/5- chord.

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 27 2009, 03:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Dec 27 2009, 10:44 AM) *
Ah, yes I did remember that post, but I forgot about the 7th, which in that case makes it a half-diminished.
It's actually quite logical: it contains a root, minor 3rd (which makes this a minor chord) and a diminished fifth (5-)

I think I get it, thanks! biggrin.gif

Great smile.gif

QUOTE (Lester @ Dec 27 2009, 02:32 PM) *
Hi Jerry,

I think I just discovered a little mistake in vid nr. 5 of the jazz notes 2 lesson.
on the Dm/5- chord, the 14th fret is written on the 6th string, but shouldn't it be the 13th fret since we use minor 3rd in diminished chords?

If I'm right, then there's the same mistake in vid nr.6. on the Dm/5- chord.

I will check this video too. I'm leaving home right now. If there is a mistake, I need Kris' work to republish the lesson!
Thank you for reporting this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 31 2009, 12:16 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Jerry,

I was going through the theory of the jazz notes 5 lesson and in vid1 the chord progression is being displayed.
I see the Ab7M twice though, while in the other cases we change it to the Abm7 and make it the supertonic.

Is there a reason why it is this way?

And about the notes we use for soloing:

We use the D dorian over the Dm7 chord, G mixolydian over the G7 chord and C ionan over ther C7M chord, right?
But as far as I'm concerned we stay in the D dorian mode over those 3 chords right?
talking about the part played in vid 2.

Maybe it's not what I think it is, I think so.

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jan 1 2010, 07:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Dec 31 2009, 12:16 PM) *
Hi Jerry,

I was going through the theory of the jazz notes 5 lesson and in vid1 the chord progression is being displayed.
I see the Ab7M twice though, while in the other cases we change it to the Abm7 and make it the supertonic.

Is there a reason why it is this way?

It's just a typo. The lesson shows different ii-V-I progressions and after each X7M chord you just move to Xm7 chord to start the next ii-V-I.

QUOTE (Lester @ Dec 31 2009, 12:16 PM) *
And about the notes we use for soloing:

We use the D dorian over the Dm7 chord, G mixolydian over the G7 chord and C ionan over ther C7M chord, right?
But as far as I'm concerned we stay in the D dorian mode over those 3 chords right?
talking about the part played in vid 2.

Maybe it's not what I think it is, I think so.

Notes for these modes are the same if you consider them as sets. Thinking "D Dorian over Dm7, G mixolydian G7, etc. " is useful because each mode has particular tones, comparing it to the major or natural minor scale. Plus, you can use chord tones starting from the root of each chord while creating arpeggios or various licks. As example, if you have a Dm7 chord, you can start with your favourite shape of D dorian and play D-F-A-C. Over a G7 chord you can start with G mixolydian and play G-B-D-F and so on.
Hope this makes sense!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Jan 1 2010, 08:45 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Jan 1 2010, 07:48 PM) *
Notes for these modes are the same if you consider them as sets. Thinking "D Dorian over Dm7, G mixolydian G7, etc. " is useful because each mode has particular tones, comparing it to the major or natural minor scale. Plus, you can use chord tones starting from the root of each chord while creating arpeggios or various licks. As example, if you have a Dm7 chord, you can start with your favourite shape of D dorian and play D-F-A-C. Over a G7 chord you can start with G mixolydian and play G-B-D-F and so on.
Hope this makes sense!

Thank you for the explanation. smile.gif
I understand the part thtat these modes have the same notes, but after that I don't quite get what you mean anymore.

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jan 1 2010, 09:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Jan 1 2010, 08:45 PM) *
Thank you for the explanation. smile.gif
I understand the part thtat these modes have the same notes, but after that I don't quite get what you mean anymore.

I mean that even you're using the same set of notes, each mode has its own particular sound. You can hear this particular sound especially if you play the mode over its related chord, like JN 3 shows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Jan 1 2010, 09:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Jan 1 2010, 09:31 PM) *
I mean that even you're using the same set of notes, each mode has its own particular sound. You can hear this particular sound especially if you play the mode over its related chord, like JN 3 shows.

right, I understand that I think.
but when I look at the lesson we keep playing D dorian over Dm7, G7 and C7M.
shouldn't we chang position to get the feel of each mode?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:24 AM