My New Band's First Song!, Symphonic Metal
Dinaga
Jan 23 2012, 05:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey mates, I talked about my new Symphonic Metal band in an older topic, so I'd like to share with you our first song. smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/dino-trnka/dolia-winter-queen-1

Everything was done in Cubase with Guitar Rig.
I won't talk much about it, I'll let the music speak for itself.

So... Please tell me what you think about the song, the overall feel, the instruments, vocals, the production and of course, the guitar solo. smile.gif Looking forward to your opinion, thanks a lot in advance! biggrin.gif

Cheers! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
SirJamsalot
Jan 23 2012, 11:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Nice composition!

Good stuff in my opinion ~
I love the rhythm guitars as a whole - you create a great groove once the ball starts rolling. I like the opening, and if you're trying to create an ethereal feel, consider some keyboard chamber voices to back your singer. I love the composition too - you broke out the song into parts very nicely - it has direction which I like!

The *needs work* in my opinion ~
The Mix seems thin to me, and I'll have to agree with Sinisa on the vocals. She's using an operatic falsetto which is fine for the genre but if she's not going to supply the "umph", then you need to beef up the rhythm guitars/bass line to help supplement the power.

She's also singing out of key in target notes from 2:07 - 2:47. If it's by design, I don't like it smile.gif It's fine for the rest, but key notes need to be spot on to be convincing and convey a solid conviction about what you're singing.

41-43 - your strings are out of tune for this one picked arpeggio, but only there? Were you gripping the fretboard too hard? smile.gif <-- done that, but I'd re-record that section to keep it in tune.

I love what you're doing here! Thanks so much for sharing! Looking forward to more!

okay - third time thru - that's a good sign biggrin.gif
haha - I had to listen to the solo section a few times to zero in on the backing chord progression for it. That's a great chord progression you have going on there. Very creative! I love it!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Jan 24 2012, 12:14 AM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 24 2012, 12:20 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 23 2012, 11:52 PM) *
Nice composition!

Good stuff in my opinion ~
I love the rhythm guitars as a whole - you create a great groove once the ball starts rolling. I like the opening, and if you're trying to create an ethereal feel, consider some keyboard chamber voices to back your singer. I love the composition too - you broke out the song into parts very nicely - it has direction which I like!

The *needs work* in my opinion ~
The Mix seems thin to me, and I'll have to agree with Sinisa on the vocals. She's using an operatic falsetto which is fine for the genre but if she's not going to supply the "umph", then you need to beef up the rhythm guitars/bass line to help supplement the power.

She's also singing out of key in target notes from 2:07 - 2:47. If it's by design, I don't like it smile.gif It's fine for the rest, but key notes need to be spot on to be convincing and convey a solid conviction about what you're singing.

41-43 - your strings are out of tune for this one picked arpeggio, but only there? Were you gripping the fretboard too hard? smile.gif <-- done that, but I'd re-record that section to keep it in tune.

I love what you're doing here! Thanks so much for sharing! Looking forward to more!

okay - third time thru - that's a good sign biggrin.gif

Wow, thanks a lot Sir for such a detailed feedback! smile.gif You guys really give the best feedback, this is exactly what we need right now!

About the vocals - Yes, we will constantly improve that aspect. I think our singer has potential but needs to be guided the right way and we need to improve the vocal performance by paying more attention to the exact vocal notes so they aren't out of key. Also, we did the production ourselves, in Cubase with Guitar Rig as a plugin and we could have put better suiting effects on vocal as well (we used a sort of 'Icy' reverb on vocals in Guitar Rig). And we definitely need a better microphone because vocals are sometimes too silent and other times too loud. All in all - your're totally right, there is room for improvement!

About the arpeggio - well, I was probably gripping the fretboard to hard biggrin.gif It was a tricky arpeggio sequence for me because I played Em 5-string arpeggio then a diminished picked one and then another sweeped one, so it was also a bit rushed, for sure biggrin.gif I must practice a LOT more to get that run better, and to be able to play it well live as well. huh.gif Need to improve my sweeps too.

QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jan 23 2012, 11:58 PM) *
I feel as if all the advice that needed to be given has already been taken care of. Great job, Dinaga! The solo makes me wonder why you are a student on GMC rather than a teacher rolleyes.gif

ohmy.gif Wow man, thanks a lot for the kind words. smile.gif
That is one of my big dreams, that's why I'll have to do my best to constantly keep improving my guitar playing and one day, who knows smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jan 24 2012, 12:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Dinaga   My New Band's First Song!   Jan 23 2012, 05:52 PM
- - Gabriel Leopardi   hey mate!! Congrats for the firs song...   Jan 23 2012, 06:07 PM
|- - Dinaga   QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 23 2012, 06...   Jan 23 2012, 06:10 PM
|- - Gabriel Leopardi   QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 23 2012, 02:10 PM) Th...   Jan 23 2012, 06:20 PM
nnn
nnn
- - Alex Feather   QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 23 2012, 04:52 PM) He...   Jan 23 2012, 09:15 PM
- - Sinisa Cekic   She is somewhat unsure,my first impression ,is o...   Jan 23 2012, 11:02 PM
- - Dinaga   Thanks a lot for the support friends! I reall...   Jan 23 2012, 11:19 PM
nnn
- - Nihilist1   I feel as if all the advice that needed to be give...   Jan 23 2012, 11:58 PM
- - Blister   That's your FIRST song? Great job! That so...   Jan 24 2012, 01:16 AM
- - PosterBoy   How did you get Yngwie to do a guest spot? Good j...   Jan 24 2012, 07:44 AM
- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 23 2012, 11:20 PM) Wo...   Jan 24 2012, 11:40 AM
|- - Dinaga   Thanks again people for the nice comments QUOTE ...   Jan 24 2012, 11:52 AM
|- - ItSME3   QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 24 2012, 11:52 AM) Th...   Jan 24 2012, 01:09 PM
nnn
nnn
- - JaxN4   You should be proud of the work you did here Dino....   Jan 24 2012, 11:59 AM
|- - Dinaga   QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jan 24 2012, 11:59 AM) You...   Jan 24 2012, 12:08 PM
nnn
- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 24 2012, 10:52 AM) .....   Jan 24 2012, 01:31 PM
- - Daniel Realpe   That's some great advice by Tony. Really spot ...   Jan 24 2012, 08:21 PM
- - Dinaga   Thanks again people for the feedback, great piece ...   Jan 24 2012, 11:31 PM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Hey mate! I'm not too big of a fan of the ...   Jan 25 2012, 09:51 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:48 PM